Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife - Anyone have experience carrying/using one?

I'm a bit intrigued with the design, but not convinced that I would actually carry or use one if I purchased it.

I avoid doing stupid stuff with stupid people in stupid places, so am not likely to need to fight my way to safety, but one never knows. I'd hate to be the guy that shows up with a knife to a gunfight (and if I know I'm gonna be in a gunfight, I'll bring a rifle or 12 gauge.), but you can't always carry a gun, even here in Texas. It's even worse to show up unarmed to a knife or gunfight...

In general, I think of knives as "tools" rather than "weapons", so I'm curious if anyone has regularly carried a TDI and, if so, how you carried it and what you used it for? Carried concealed or open (belt, boot, duty gear?)? Useful for daily cutting chores? Ever used for rescue work (seat belt cutter, etc)? Ever actually had to use it in a fight (I realize this may be a touchy subject)?

Any thoughts on regular carry and use would be appreciated.

I have a TDI LE 1480. I carry it everyday I'm working. I have never used it for anything other than a few small utility cuts. Its a self defense tool and as such, remains in the sheath most of the time. I've not had to use it in a self defense role, but it's there if I need it. Also, although the blade is scary sharp, I tend to use other blades of a straighter design to do my daily cuts. It would probably make a pretty good box cutter, but I'm not that motivated to give it go.

[video=youtube;6ZivRcSnPyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw[/video]

There are several more vids on this blade, some reviews, some practical apps, etc etc.

Tom - Thanks for the info. I hadn't really realized how small the standard TDI is until watching the video. I prefer smaller knives for daily for many reasons and the 1480 does look like a good choice. If you've been carrying it regularly, I'll assume that it's comfortable and unobtrusive. The demonstration of the tactical folder versus the TDI for popping balloons was interesting.

i like mine (the large version, still not a "large" knife imo). i don't use it much since i got my bk11. i still carry it as a back up though.

I've owned and edc'd both the large and the small versions and prefer the small. It's much less noticeable and sits better on my belt. I tried carrying at the 3, 9, 5 and 2. For me the 2 o'clock position was the most useful and practical way to carry. I also tried it with regular and reverse grip. Reverse at 2 o'clock is what I ended up with because it was easily accessible with either hand.

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'll give the smaller one a try!

Also probably be a good gift for my Brother-in-Law who is a county Sheriff up in Missouri.

The ergos texture of the handle are spot on. Holding it in a pistol grip fashion with the thumb indexed on top is surprisingly comfortable. Very grippable in the hand and there is no slippage. A good "pistol" grip is all you need.

One thing I was surprised to figure out is that the sheath and knife, ride pretty high. It doesn't really look so in the vids, but once you wear it it feels weirdly like your wearing a gun. So, if you can imagine drawing a pistol or revolver from a high ride holster then you have a pretty good idea of how deployment will be.

Another thing is: if you are wearing the knife behind the back, the sheath can be a bit difficult to locate when re-sheathing. Its a very low profile sheath (as is to be expected with a small knife) and with that scary sharp edge and pointy tip, the task can be a bit stressful.

One last thing. I wear the knife typically at the 10 o'clock position on the inside belt. For awhile I was wearing the knife with the TDI clip as it was installed with the sheath on the "outside" of the belt face. But I was suffering some discomfort from the clip digging into my hip. I ended up switching the clip to the "outside" of the sheath thereby putting the sheath on the inside of the belt, next to the body, no discomfort.

I'm interested in the larger Hinderer designed TDIs and may eventually get one. But the 1480 is still awesome.

It's a damn good gift for your Brother-in-Law. He will like it.

Another thing is: if you are wearing the knife behind the back, the sheath can be a bit difficult to locate when re-sheathing. Its a very low profile sheath (as is to be expected with a small knife) and with that scary sharp edge and pointy tip, the task can be a bit stressful.

i second that.

I want to try one of the Hinderer TDI's. #2485 or 2486. My problem would be finding a spot in my EDC rotation for it ;)

Back