KA-BAR Tech Talk

Hello Toooj,

I bought the D2 Extreme yesterday (after giving the old 1217 to my sister) and would like to ask your opinions on whether the serrations give some element of weakness to the blade? And if so, should I really worry about heavy use?
Should I be a little soft handed while batoning/chopping w/ it?

Thanks,
Will

William P,

Any time you grind anything on a hardened piece of steel, stresses are being introduced. Having said that; You are probably fairly safe with the serrations unless you are using the blade as a pry bar to remove tank tracks.
It is my opinion that one should always be soft handed when batoning.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

hi there ,
i have a really old looking kabar chefs knife and would like to find out more about the history .

its a 10" blade 15"with handle and looks like a classic french sabatier style chefs knife
ka - bar is stamped in to the blade (kinda wonky ) and theres a couple of faded letters stamped in to the wood handle(wood unknown)
its high carbon steel and goes through a tomato quicker than a laser beam .

i would love to find out more .

im new to bf
hope this is the right place to post ?

cheers !

bradlox,

This is the right place. However, we need to see some pictures. You must down load your pictures to a picture site such as Image Shack and then post the URLs. If you go to Bernard Levine's Knife Indentification sub forum, there are instructions on how to do this. Or you can pay for a full member and you will be able to attach pics directly.
Need full side shots, white or tan background, no flash, both sides, close up of the stampings/etchs.
Once the pics are posted, there will be help.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj,
How is the factory edge put on a KaBar. I have a few Beckers and I would like to replicate the factory edge's "teeth." I have heard that a belt sander is used, but I think there might be another step. If it is not a trade secret I would like to know.

Thank you in advance,
slapper

Slapper,

We use a belt sander and a high speed buff. The grit is 80-100 grit. The number of passes is determined by the thickness of the edge...usually 4 passes or until the cantel is entirely cut through, alternating each pass until a continuous burr is raised along the entire edge.(This is what we call "Honing" Other companies may use different terminology)
The Honed blade is then taken to a high speed buff. It is a cotton buff with white compound applied to the surface. The buff is only cut back a bit so it is not a soft fluff buff but the surface turns very hard when rotating at 3500RPM. The burr is then removed and the blade polished.
Usually it takes 3-4 passes to remove and polish the final edge.
This is our way of doing it. Other companies may sharpen differently.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hi Toooj,

I have a usmc Kabar that someone gave to me, it is about 7 years old, but was never used.Thing is the leather handle darkened considerably and the finish on the handle wore off almost completely.What can I use to protect the leather on the handle??oil?? Wax??

Thnx..Chop

Chopper Head,

You can use any good leather product. There are plenty of oils and waxes that will work. Part of the handle finish is that the handle is colored and polished as it turns against a hard buff. This compresses the fine "fuzz" of the leather and gives the handle a smooth, shiny surface. You can do the same by hand. Oil the handle and then wax it and polish the handle by rotating it in only one direction. It won't be as good as the factory but will get you closer than what you have now.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Loving this thread. Very educational, as well as entertaining.

hi tooj ,
gonna try to link a picture of my kabar chefs knife ...
hope this works ?

DSC_0260.jpg

close up of stamp
DSC_0263.jpg

would be great to find out a bit more about the knife

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
For about 200 bucks plus shipping Traditional Filipino Weapons also put out a fantastic khukuri that blends traditional with the new.
for people wanting a production (or even custom) type khukri, the options are somewhat limited... and if they wanted a thicker one, even more so... and American made, even more so...

Models I can rattle off the top of my head:

o KaBar Khuk - little needs to be said on this beast - or does it? Made by our Toooj :)

o Becker - from CinCin to future now... they were in the 1/4 range, going a little thinner for the KaBars - excellent product :D very excited about these

o Cold Steel - various thinner Carbon V models and of course the San Mai III Gurkha Kukri at $666 :) 5/16 inches thick

o Bill Siegle - he does a pretty nice khukri - 5160 tool steel iirc, about 1/4 inch thick at the spine. pretty dang awesome, esp for the price of a hand made custom. convexed as well iirc.

o Busse - they made a couple models. even more $$$ than the Cold Steel - good luck finding any :) heavy and thick though.

o Zlatoust - made a limited run, very interesting model with convexed blades, stainless, Russian made craftsmanship, corian handles... someday i'll find one :)

o BRKT - also had a limited run with some prototypes floating around. not too hard to find, but harder to find a minty one, convexed i think. one day :)

o Zombie Tools - they make a bunch of good heavy duty looking stuff, prices are in line with Siegle's and customs, but with a zombie twist :) Falcata too.

o lots and lots of various stamped models i'm not even going to mention. "khukri shaped objects" at best.

so IMHO there is a market niche for a heavier khukri :> esp one with a reasonable price, esp made of quality 1095 or 5160... esp American made :>

not too many Falcata or Kopis out there either. hah.

no pressure :) mmm, how about by April 2012? okay! see you at the booth...

bradlox,

Your Knife is a Union Cutlery KA-BAR Branded Model 690-10 Chef's knife. Carbon Steel blade, Cutlery Rivets, either Rosewood or molded plastic handles (Yours has Rosewood). When new there was an embossed "KA-BAR" between the 1st and 2nd rivet of the mark side handle scale but that can wear off...I can't tell if yours still has it.
These knives were produced between 1920-1950.
Not much monetary value but it looks like a good user. A lot of blade left, handles look tight. Keep it sharp and you will get a lot of use out of it.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Question for Toooj:

Are there any plans for a full sized Mk 2 model with leather handle but without the military designation?

Back