KA-BAR Tech Talk

DRE,

Sorry but there are no plans on this.
Most of the people WANT the Military designation on the pile side of the ricasso.
You seem to be in a small minority...if there are others who would like this option, please speak up.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thought I might chime in, I have a WW2 vintage kabar USN. I inquired here wether to use it or store it away and try to keep it nice. I never was in the service, and was looking for just a USA Mark 2 made without the military designation. I have never really cared for the people that have not served but try to carry around something that may hint they had. Nothing was available, so I ended up just getting the USN version, to match my WW2 version. I may be over analyzing the situation, but I had kind of the same thoughts as DRE. While even my user is new and fresh from the factory, just having that model seems to have a connection with a piece of history. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

DRE,

Sorry but there are no plans on this.
Most of the people WANT the Military designation on the pile side of the ricasso.
You seem to be in a small minority...if there are others who would like this option, please speak up.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hi Paul,

I had in mind a full size version of the short model with the USA stamp:

KA-12611.jpg

Guys,

We meet weekly on new products. I'll bring it up and see if it sticks.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj;

I was hoping you could discuss the general topic of a Paul Tsujimoto Signature Knife. I googled and couldn't find such an animal, so... Has there ever been one? If not, why not? Will there ever be one? If so, what might it be like? Thanks in advance for any reply.

BRL,

Good idea. You hit us at the right time...right after our weekly friday, mind expanding, product development meeting. We are on it.
However, be careful about what you ask for because you might just get it. :)

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

be careful about what you ask for because you might just get it.

Well, that was kind of the idea behind me asking! Great news, this would really be something to look forward to. Unless we're talking 2014, then if you don't mind I'm not going to let it take up too much mental real estate for a while. This whole thing with the tweeners is torture :)

BRL,

We really do listen to you KA-BARistas and BeckerHeads but we have limited capacity right now in the US factory. (However, that is getting better)
Our ability to come up with new ideas and knives far out strips our ability to manufacture and process the new products.
Those issues are being addressed as we bring more product back to the US.
So patience young Grasshopper."That which we obtain with most difficulty, we cherish longest."

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Along with making a USA marked 1217, I'd like to suggest/request a small (aesthetic) design change. Would it be possible to center the tang with the blade, so that the handle and blade are in-line with each other? Right now they are not and the mismatch looks, well, odd. Like a mistake almost. The shorties are in-line and IMO it's an improvement.

Just throwing it out there, hope you don't mind.

Toooj,

I would love to see KA-BAR make a knife that is part machete in length (blade about 12-14") yet a little bit thicker than a normal machete, with a blade end/tip like the BK9, with a large choil for close up work, jimping for the thumb that extends about 3.5" (so many different sized people could use it comfortably), a nice flat spot for fire steel (in a useable place), a full width, full tang that extends past the handle a little, & a lanyard hole in front of your hand (so if you do let go it stays balanced against your palm/in your hand & a good quality kydex sheath with a dangler loop & swivel & legstrap. A BushCraft Machete i guess. Just my .02 cents.

Blue Sky,

Here is KA-BAR's quandry: We want to try to keep the current 1217 as close to original specification as possible. The original F/U knife had the tang offset toward the back (top) and not down the blade centerline.
With the new manufacturing technology, the offset on the handle is more obvious. The biggest issue is we wanted to make the handle larger as it fits modern hands better. That really highlights the offset. Notice that our handle is more oval than the other F/U knives from other manufacturers.
You are astute on the small version of the F/U (1250, et al). I moved the tang to the middle of the blade when we developed that knife. We felt we had more liberties with the smaller knife than with the original.
So, sorry, we have no plans to change. But we always appreciate the feedback; positive or negative.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Last edited:
Twinstick,

Would this be a Becker or a KA-BAR? Ethan has a bunch of big knife designs that we are working through. I believe there is one that very closely matches your description.
Patience, you may get your wish.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I'm usually for tradition, but in this case it gets in the way a bit. I did expect that would be the issue though.

However if you think about it, a change was made to the handle, so some change is not impossible. And combined with modern methods that change altered the appearance. So, moving the tang would actually serve to restore the knife to it's original form, right?

OK, I'll stop now. ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

Toooj,

Since KA-BAR uses Kraton, this may be a good place to ask this question.

I occasionally read a post where someone states that a Kraton handle (no particular brand of knife) has deteriorated after many years of use or storage. Is this something that may happen due to exposure to certain chemical or environmental conditions?

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

Kraton is a synthetic rubber made by GLS. It may be licensed to other companies but at KA-BAR, we stay with GLS. It is pretty resistant to chemicals but it will start to de-grade over time if used continually. In addition to chemicals; heat, abrasion and UV radiation also contributes to this. Inspite of this, Kraton is a very good material. Here are some tips:
1) Keep it away from heat sources...camp fires, car windows in southern states, ovens, 300 Deg F + and you should start to worry....you get the picture.
2) Don't stir chemicals with your knife handle..gasoline, DEET, stove fuel....you get the picture.
3) Be careful how you use the Kraton. It will wear and abrade. We use Kraton G (the most resistent of the Kraton Grades.) We also keep the Durometer hardness fairly high: 87-92. IIRC.
4) Make sure the handle is, indeed, Kraton.You would be surprised how many advertised handles are not really Kraton.

I have found that if you keep the Kraton handled knife in a normal storage place, you will be okay. Just check it occasionally. Knives and knife materials like to be fondled and wiped down often....It's a fact...look it up.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I just saw this Cold Steel knife today. And to be honest, I am all warm and excited to picture it done right with a leather handle and sheath, and obviously the proper branding. Can Ka-Bar make another Ka-Bar?

CS39LSF.jpg

EDIT:

I want to attribute it to Lt.Cmdr. Mike Walsh (ret.), but I cannot be sure. He wrote a series of articles about tactical and duty knives for "real" people. In a later article (I only recall seeing three articles before he moved on to write books) he said the Ka-Bar was a solid design, and the price point made it practical as well as serviceable for hard use. but with a few improvements.

Slightly flattened sides for ergonomic reasons. The pic above has it.
A better or modified grind for slicing. The pic above has it.
And a better sheath for getting wet. The pic above has it, though I like the original Ka-Bar leather sheath.

It seems Cold Steel dug up some old magazines and ran with the idea. :D

Last edited:
ron_m80,

Thanks for posting and thanks for the suggestion. We will talk about it in our Product Dev Meeting.
We monitor all of the posts and threads on the KA-BAR and Becker Forums so we read the scuttlebutt.
Our stance is that Cold Steel can do what they want to do. This will probably enhance OUR sales of the 1217.
Thanks.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Tooj,

From a Tweener post in the BK subforum:

100_0030.jpg

That kukri under the Brute... is that your design? Is this going to be in production? Looks like an 8.5" blade... is it in the 52-54 hardness range? Thanks!

Back