KA-BAR Tech Talk

Qeth,

The Khuk with the F/U handle is an actual product. It is scheduled for 2012/13 release. We just have to wire down the sheath. Blade hardness should be in the 55-57HRc range. Project Name is: Combat Khukri.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Qeth,
The Khuk with the F/U handle is an actual product. It is scheduled for 2012/13 release. We just have to wire down the sheath. Blade hardness should be in the 55-57HRc range. Project Name is: Combat Khukri.

ooh, super hot :) look forward to it.

keep that swedge under control ;) [pssst, that was a joke]

i'm guessing based on the Machax, and the grinds, the khukri will be about .200 inches thick?

awesome, a new Khukri for Bladite: Ultimate Khukri Fan!

Qeth,

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks Tooj. Few more questions.

Your design?

Is it 1095 cv or 1085 like the current cutlass/ kukri machete?

What's the hardness of the current cutlass and kukri machete models?

Where will it be manufactured?

Qeth,

My design; Steel will be 0.165"thk 1095 CV; Made in USA.
The 1278/79 are SK-5 steel (1080/85 equiv); Hardness is 52-54 HRc; Made in Taiwan

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

My design; Steel will be 0.165"thk 1095 CV; Made in USA.

This sentence has so much awesome.

Last question, PROMISE! :p

What's the blade length of the Combat Khukri? Money is on 8.5".

Qeth,

8.5" long.
I must amend authorship. Can a Khukri really be called "my design"? Just an interpretation.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I must amend authorship. Can a Khukri really be called "my design"? Just an interpretation.

yup. dozens of kinds, cultural influences, and really, more variables than one reasonable person might consider... so yep. yours.

:D

Paul, thanks for the information on the upcoming Khukri. The Prototype looks pretty good. I look forward to when it's released.

MrKnifekid,

The sheath for the 1213 is a glass filled Nylon. If you are wondering if it dulls the edge? ...It will, but there doesn't seem to be this issue on the sheath because of its design.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hey Paul, the recently discussion about Cold Steel's new knife has promted me to mention an idea that I've had for a while.

I think it would be really cool if you guys made a full hight flat ground version of the Kabar Fighting knife. Same knife but instead off the half hight grind and fuller, make it full hight. Keeping the clip point the same. Thats essentially the blade that the Heavy Bowie has. Which by the way I find my self using more then my BK9. I love flat ground clip points. Thanks for your time!

Hey Paul, the recently discussion about Cold Steel's new knife has promted me to mention an idea that I've had for a while.

I think it would be really cool if you guys made a full hight flat ground version of the Kabar Fighting knife. Same knife but instead off the half hight grind and fuller, make it full hight. Keeping the clip point the same. Thats essentially the blade that the Heavy Bowie has. Which by the way I find my self using more then my BK9. I love flat ground clip points. Thanks for your time!

Tooj already tackled this one just a few posts back.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872443-Ask-Toooj?p=10009496#post10009496

Guys,

I'll bring it up in our prod dev meetings. The worst answer I can get is "no".
Our traditional lines (round leather and Kraton handles) are pretty full so we have to choose our entries very carefully.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I have read that the injection mold sheath has been reformulated to remove glass fiber (thus alleviate the edge dulling problem), is this the case? If so how long has it been implemented (trying to find new stock), and will it be carried over to Becker line?

Thanks.

Tooj,

Any plans on having a non serrated Big Brother? Some of us in CA would like to get a Big Bro too ;)

jzmtl,

All of our sheaths that are GFN (Glass filled Nylon) have had the glass content lowered. (Not complertely eliminated) If we totally pull the glass from the mixture, the nylon would not have the strength and rigidity that we believe is necessary for the sheath to
protect the user from the sharpened edge (The primary reason for a sheath) Nylon without glass: think Nylon stockings and toothbrush handles; not very reassuring. Interestingly, we lowered the glass content because the sheaths were too stiff and made insertion and removal of the blade very difficult, not the dulling issue. We started last year sometime. It was a running change so there will be both in the stream for a while. How do you tell high from low glass? Hit the sheath on a hard surface; if there is a "clacking" sound it is high glass; a dull "thunk" means low glass. We are working with our contractor to redesign the sheaths so if the blade edge is dragged into the sheath, it will not be dulled. Until such time, ingress and egress of the blade should be straight and not angled. Not a hard thing to do....or an aftermarket sheath.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Qeth,

Sorry no plans as yet. However, we do feel your pain if you live in restrictive States. New York is not that far behind CA, Mass and NJ.
We'll see.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Back