Kabar 1246 Camp Knife

Can anyone advise what is and how to repair the black material on the guard and pommel of the 1246 Camp knife? Mine was purchased in good condition except for the flaking of this materiel around these areas. I'd Like to replace it and I think it could be simply a matter of coating an enamel paint over these areas. Thanks!

Some people strip the paints off with citra-strip.... then build up a patina.

it's a cool knife You have.... I'm jealous. Wish I could get one! :D

Most thanks Crag. I think it may be paint but unsure. I'll try some paint. I got the knife on ebay. Regards.

Most thanks Crag. I think it may be paint but unsure. I'll try some paint. I got the knife on ebay. Regards.
Yepper Crag, that's the one in the first pic. Part of the pommel is chipped like it could be metal instead of paint but I'll have to break free from other projects and get on that soon. Have a good weekend if I don't hear back for ya. Cheers!

yes - that's just paint covering the metal guard and the pommel.
it the pommel itself is chipped, you can get a handle kit from kabar that comes with leather washers and a replacement pommel.
or just sand down any rough spots and touch it up with a decent enamel paint.

yes - that's just paint covering the metal guard and the pommel.
it the pommel itself is chipped, you can get a handle kit from kabar that comes with leather washers and a replacement pommel.
or just sand down any rough spots and touch it up with a decent enamel paint.
Most thanks! You folks have been most helpful. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Heck, just use it. Chips and dings add character. At least, those of us of a certain vintage ;) think that way, having acquired a few chips and dings along the way.

Back