Kabar Becker BK9 chipped what should I do

48839382647_6f007a740a_b.jpg
My Kabar Becker has received a nasty chip in the center portion of blade. My friend had borrowed it to use for harvesting a deer. Went and took a whack at the leg and my knife got the worst of it!. Any suggestions knife is currently useless?.

Last edited:
My Kabar Becker has received a nasty chip in the center portion of blade. My friend had borrowed it to use for harvesting a deer. Went and took a whack at the leg and my knife got the worst of it!. Any suggestions knife is currently useless?.
It would sure be nice to see the size of the chip that's making your Knife useless o_O if it's major
KaBar might want to check it out and possibly give you a new blade :thumbsup:

My friend had borrowed it to use for harvesting a deer. Went and took a whack at the leg and my knife got the worst of it!. Any suggestions
Tell your friend to use a more conventional means of harvesting deer (gun, bow, etc). If he insists on using a knife, tell him to buy his own.
;)

As far as what to do - take the "when life gives you lemons..." approach. Grind the center portion shallower, blending back to full depth toward the tip - turn it into a smaller BK6 :thumbsup:

Can you post photos? I would contact KA-BAR personally, see what they will do. :thumbsup:

By the way, welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Ya can't beat that offer ! And welcome to the forum ... you are at least using your BK9 if you got a chip ... that right there gets you bonus points :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It’s weird... but I’d really like to see the blade.

1095 is a great steel for tough work, but bone will give most steels a run for the money.

It’s it’s a smallish chip I would just keep using the knife, and eventually it will sharpen out.

If it’s a larger one, it may be unsafe to use any further.

Ka-Bar has a fantastic customer service department. Contact them and see what they say.

Yes Sir! That's what I call a chip :thumbsup: Contact KaBar.

Its not useless. I’ve chipped mine a lot and I sharpen it out. It may take a few sharpening sessions, but you can still make your blade sharp again without that chip affecting any performance.
:p:p, That's going to take a lot of sharpening sessions :eek:

Cool colored scales....is that one of those special release non coated ones? Or custom scales
I'd love some ghost Jade ones for my 5

Sorry about the chip....

My niner has Lots of little ones!

Can you file in a sharpened half-round? You could make the same curlies of a Tracker, but still have the King on your team. Probably not something I would do on purpose, but might salvage this chip situation.

Hey Daniel...

Call Ka-Bar...1800 282 0130.... This one is a close call on warranty. Bone is rough on cutlery. Especially on a cold day. if the bone was frozen all bets are off.....
A word of advice, though unsolicited, but, meant well.....Through repeated personal experience I have found that loaning tools frequently ends poorly....

That said see what the good folks in Olean will do....

All best,
E

Yeah, loaning tools does usually end poorly. People are generally stupid, don't believe me, watch LivePD at witness the unbridled stupidity live.

I'd see what the MFG would do for you OP as I'd have expected that steel to take one slap at bone.

Back