Kabar Bk-7 Combo

Hi guys,

A proud BK-9 ownder, and a looooong time bladeforum lurker here! :D

I have purchased a BK-7 because..., well I have a problem and I love knives! Seriously though, I am in Europe and except my leatherman and a swiss army knife, my blades are back home in Canada. So I decided to get a blade and although I LOVE BK-9, as I actually used and abused it and was impressed with it every time, I also heard a lot about BK-7 and wanted to try it.

What I wanted: a reliable main blade.
Purpose: looking bad ass, ego boost, and killing zombies.
Secondary tasks: general camping main knife (actually camping in outdoors), battoning wood, wood processing, starting fire (spine to be modified), some food processing, etc.
Other tools on me: a folding saw, a leatherman.

I am asking for people who actually use their knives on relatively regular bases to chip in and make a suggestion for a secondary blade. At the moment I am leaning towards BK11 or BK14 (for ego boost to have a BK set..., and quality) or a mora knife.

No, I am not planning to survive out there but really just camp for couple of days with my dog. I don't consider my leatherman or swiss army knife a reliable secondary woods knife so please make your suggesitons based on:

-a knife that doesn't break the bank
-a reliable medium duty back up knife
-NOT a super steel
-either around my neck (sometimes I be out in the cold and want it easily accessable) or in my backpack. Any other suggestion is welcome.

Are my choices fine or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.:)

I’ve heard Terava knives are affordable in Europe. I don’t know how much the fallkniven f4 or s5 go for out there.

IF I’m carrying my 711, I’ll just use a folder. I use a delica/military depending on my mood but a sak would work just fine.

There’s really no need for other knives unless you have some sort of carving project in which case you’ll want a mora for the comfy handle and slim blade.

The bk11 and 14 are both good but are really just mini wood splitters to me. Good for getting a fire going but not great as carvers. I personally wouldn’t carry one in addition to the large knife.

Reactions: vba
I like the White River Backpacker Pro. Most any smaller knife would do the trick including a dependable folder. If in Europe, I would look at the LionSteel offerings like the M1 to be what I hope is more cost efficient for you. The Becker BK-62 Kephart is pretty classy also and a good general use knife. Not great for hunting in my opinion, but generally anything sharp works hunting.

A Mora would certainly work.

I find that the BK-7 is just too big for me to carry hiking unless I have a specific need for this size of knife. Makes a good camp knife, especially car camping.

Reactions: vba
Love my BK7, nice to see more people enjoying this knife.
I usually combine mine with a large folder, Spyderco Military or Paramilitary come to mind.
Enjoy your search :)

As others have mentioned, Terävä ticks all your boxes.

Ive used the snot out of my Teräväs for years and they just plain work.

Below pics are from when they were all relatively new.

Dirt cheap and reliable knives.

iW3Oa50.jpg

4lA44VY.jpg

L5fNvP6.jpg

NP8uB8T.jpg

cdaOQPr.jpg

viv9tMA.jpg

JDSMFKr.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing fancy, old skool in fact...
Not exactly "pretty, but a pretty functional, affordable, tough and light weight thin slicer which even doubles as a spear.

Am I ever glad I didn’t buy a BK7 before looking at Blade Scout’s post. I would want to sell the Becker and get a Skrama.

Especially in regards to your first criterion, “looking badass”. Skrama totally out-badasses the Becker. Does everything else at least as well.

Instead, I bought the Skrama, leaving the same choice of backup knives: Jakaaripuukko, Mora (I’d take the Kansbol), Becker (or some other flavor) Kephart, mini-Skrama, or a lot of other knives.

Am I ever glad I didn’t buy a BK7 before looking at Blade Scout’s post. I would want to sell the Becker and get a Skrama.
Don't blame you a bit as I some what regret spending the money for the BK-7. These kinds of things go in fits and I was in a Becker fit at the time. I'll take the Becker BK-62 (Kephart) any day of the week over the BK-7 unless I am actually in a survival situation when the modest chopping capability of the BK-7 might be useful. But speaking in real life.... the BK-62 wins any day of the week for a woods knife. Bad Ass is not one of my conscious criterias. It may have been a consideration 20-30 years ago, but not now.

Back