Kabar Turok ... amazing!

I'am easy :D If I like how looks and feels in my hand and it's sharp I'am good . went ahead and deepened the etch. Going to leave the paint till it looks ugly. Took a sharpie to the etch after a vinegar wipe failed to darkened it enough :p
IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1721.JPG
It's a good Knife :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I know this isn't a new thread, but this knife just came across my radar and I'm wondering how you are liking it now that you have more experience with it? Also, I know there is talk about modifying/replacing the scales, but I'm curious about the Celcon (polymer?) factory scales. Do they get slippery when your hands are sweaty or it's raining?

Thanks in advance for all input.

I know this isn't a new thread, but this knife just came across my radar and I'm wondering how you are liking it now that you have more experience with it? Also, I know there is talk about modifying/replacing the scales, but I'm curious about the Celcon (polymer?) factory scales. Do they get slippery when your hands are sweaty or it's raining?

Thanks in advance for all input.

I have two (one is new in box and unused).

For my user I stripped the coating and found a solid tang with only holes for the screws. The factory scales have a bit more texture than the BK scales, but only two fasteners instead of three like the BK series.

I cut a cheap cutting board to add as scale spacers, since after removing the coating the nuts are proud of the scale.

The knife ergos and balance are very good, and the sheath is fantastic. I have had no issues with the knife being slippery.

That said, Micarta scales would be awesome!

I really like the whole package overall.

I think it's a very nice knife too :thumbsup: And agree with everything MotokaiRider said above :D I deepened the etchs and changed the hardware to Black Oxide Stainless . I also sanded the paint with 600 grit to smooth it and now it's a little shiny :p I will probably strip it down the road :thumbsup:
IMG_2618.JPG IMG_2619.JPG
The etching in pics aren't as clear as they are live. Taking a strange reflection I guess.

I think it's a very nice knife too :thumbsup: And agree with everything MotokaiRider said above :D I deepened the etchs and changed the hardware to Black Oxide Stainless . I also sanded the paint with 600 grit to smooth it and now it's a little shiny :p I will probably strip it down the road :thumbsup:
View attachment 1048419 View attachment 1048420
The etching in pics aren't as clear as they are live. Taking a strange reflection I guess.

My Lord that looks fantastic!!!!

Pulling this thread back.

Anyone know of any after market options for scales?

I suppose this may be a good time to learn how to make my own!

Pulling this thread back.

Anyone know of any after market options for scales?

I suppose this may be a good time to learn how to make my own!
Yea , I know what you mean :) I keep hoping KaBar will come out with some . that would be very COOL KaBar ! Sure doesn't look very promising :poop: .I might have to find some kind of nice wood. I don't want work with Micarta or G-10 even though I would prefer it :p

I’ve never seen any aftermarket options. Too bad, the Jarosz line would be a perfect contender for them. :thumbsup:

I agree.

I just shipped one of mine back to KaBar to see if they can repair my miffed attempt at modifying.

When I stripped the knife, I also stripped under the scales. This created an issue where the bolt was proud of the handle. Rather than using my brain and purchasing shorter bolts, I made spacers out of thin plastic cutting board material. When I reattached the scales, the butt side scale was over tight and caused the inner scale plastic to deform. I sanded it down to flush but this removed too much material and now the inner part of the scale hole has hardly any material to secure to the blade.

100 percent my fault. I am hoping they let me buy another set.

I still would love micarta though. I also find the Turok works well in the kitchen. Chicken bones chop easy!

Those are great looking knives. I really like the larger one.

Can those sheaths be piggybacked so you can carry both and have both at the ready when you are out and about hunting in the field? I'd like to see someone try it and post pics...if only for a temporary basis.
Anyone?

Thanks for your help and time.
Larry

Ka-Bar shipped back my Turok that I screwed up.

Brand new scales.
Brand new fitted hardware.
Brand new sheath.
No charges for anything...not even return shipping. All in under 9 days turn around time.

I’m astonished at the level of care and customer service.

I was a fan before...and now they have proven once again why they remain a premier American knife company.

Hats of to you Ka-Bar. My family and friends will continue to be proud supporters.

I told some one who needed a "non-military-tactical" looking blade but wanted a Ka-Bar to get the Turok (wife and in-laws controlled access to the hunting land), think he got some custom micarta...or was it G-10...well he likes it a lot.

Man those finished knives look great!

Update.

Sheath is GTG. It blends ease of removal/re-sheathing, with ease of cleaning.

Custom scales would make this knife upshift into overdrive.

Back