Kabars Space Force Knife

Found this kind of funny;Is there a need for a 7" fixed blade knife in space? Im guessing its just for us earthlings, I couldnt see using this in a space station; imagine this floating around w no gravity no telling what damage it might do

Ace Levy : Sir, I don't understand. Who needs a knife in a nuke fight anyway? All you gotta do is push a button, sir.

Career Sergeant Zim : Cease fire. Put your hand on that wall trooper. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!

[Zim throws a knife and hits Ace's hand pinning it to the wall]

Career Sergeant Zim : The enemy can not push a button... if you disable his hand. Medic! :D :D :D

(From the movie Starship Troopers)

Although I suspect a better use would be as a survival tool should a craft have to land in a remote place.

Not strange at all. Carrying a fixed blade into space is certainly not a new concept.

Do a Google search for "Randall model 17 "Astro".

A fixed-blade designed by astronaut Gordon Cooper, made by Randall, carried into space by the Mercury astronauts.

You can see one at Randallknives.com.

Last edited:
I just linked this directly to their site, the pic is good... I like the design (... except for the 3oz guard... it's just a bit much imho... wish they did something the size of a normal kabar guard)
model-17LG.jpg

lmao, I didn't know of the breaching tool - they really missed out by not making the handle into a mini axe grip... this is pretty useless I think
2484sf.jpg

You never need a knife, until you do. I imagine this still holds true in space.

Knives have been issued since the Mercury program to cut away entanglements & thin metals. Like air crews, knives might be needed to cut through thin aluminum fuselage & paracords during emergency escape. Walls of ISS is only 1/10" aluminum.

I could see a knife of some kind being part of the kit. That said, as someone who pokes holes in himself and sometimes his clothes where it WONT result in possibly fatal pressure/atmosphere loss, I dont know how a 7" blade makes the most sense;)

I would see a shorter blade with more of a rounded spear point being a good fit. Even the much maligned serrated edge would come in handy. Actually, a good multi tool would probably be the most useful:)

Besides, I think Aliens already has proven the best Space Marine knife for potential five finger filet foolishness is the Gerber Mk II*
Ltd5mi.gif

*android not included.

Back