Kai wasabi vs Global G2 vs ___ ?

I'm trying to figure out the differences between these two knives and which would be right for me. Here's what I have so far (only posting this because I couldn't find a head to head online).

There are so many more questions here than I expected, please only answer what you have patience or inclination to answer, sorry.

- There have been complaints on that there internet, that the kai knife is tough to sharpen. I thought it's a matter of burr formation, deburring and then stropping? Can anyone with sharpening experience offer reasons for or attest to the annoyance of sharpening a kai wasabi 8" chef knife?

- Others dislike the global knife because it's hard to sharpen. I thought you do what that old man does on the youtube and also burrfection except it takes you significantly longer and then you end up with a sharp global knife? Can anyone speak to this?

- is the Global blade verifiably thinner than the kai blade? Does this matter? I held the G2 before, haven't held the Kai, ordered the santoku version off amazon because I wanted to see what the handle feels like but o/w it's impossible for me in Canada to "try before buy", also it's proving impossible to order 1 kai knife from a vendor selling it at a good price and still get free shipping on the order.

- Does anyone know what the balance is like between these two? I held a global G2 and an Ikea 365+ santoku knife in the same hand and the Ikea knife "felt heavier" even though my food scale said they were the same weight (dunno how accurate it is but it's digital idk).

- I have come to understand that there is a difference in "price point" and "entry point" for the kitchen knife enthusiast whereby kai knives on sale cost CAD 40 and the G2 is currently on "sale" for CAD 100. But that's only 60 bucks ? I know that's a lot of money to some people and I'm not trying to be dismissive, all I'm asking Really is... Is the global G2 $60 better? Has anyone tried both and returned either or left one of the two in a drawer almost permanently and gone with the other? With that price difference, is it usually easier to just buy the more expensive knife? They both offer a lifetime warranty, both are made in Japan, I figure whichever I buy will be my main knife until I find something terribly wrong with it which, honestly, not sure I will. Have any of you? I know some hate the global handle but I love it, it's great, I'm 5'5 it fits like a glove. I keep my knife hand clean when prepping and regularly rinse the knife, so I'm not worried about food getting stuck in the golf ball holes. Should I be, though? Youtube said I should be, does anyone find it a pain to clean the handle? I have tried the global and found it to be good for me, but ... would the other cheaper knife also be fine for me if it feels good in my hand or is there something fundamentally wrong with it vs. with the Global?

- I'm vegetarian with no signs of returning to the meat world, and I only make meat about 4 times a year to make steak or some such fanciness for my girlfriend. If I'm in the kitchen doing chopping, push cutting, and a minor amount of rock chopping and mincing (those are four different movements and I'm really hoping I labelled them correctly)...and if I'm careful not to twist my knife blade with the occasional rock chopping and mincing that I do .... Would it still be okay to own either of these knives ? Or should I be buying definitely one and definitely not the other? Or should I be buying something else entirely? YouTube told me nakiris have been replaced by mandolins in most pro kitchens?? Also, YouTube told me rock chopping or mincing would damage a Japanese knife, so what do users of those knives do to get the little small ant food that you can throw into the tapenade? (Ok tapenade you'd likely do with a food processor, bad example, I'm just asking)

Is anyone upset by these two choices? What do you think I should look into?

- I figured nakiris aren't pointy enough but I suppose I don't really need a point when cutting what I cut? Have they fallen out of favour with chefs for some reason?

- Shun makes nice knives, but they seem far more expensive except maybe for some, does anyone see one in there that could fit my needs and wouldn't be much different in price point from the above two?

- I like this video:

I don't know the first thing about buying a knife, but when I'm shopping for knives, this is what I like to see. Mass murdering vegetables. Does anyone regularly do this with one of their knives that they bought for 100 or less Canadian, what are your thoughts on it? There should be a video like this for basically every knife, I'm sure this is obtainable with any of them that are sharp, unless I'm missing something about the edge geometry or etc of the global that makes it more amenable to this.

I read that most line cooks and serious students use plain steel knives (<$20 each) and sharpen them regularly. Should I just do this for a year to develop knife discipline or something, and not buy a knife now? I like the G2 but I feel as though I could like any number of these knives, & I want to make the best and most sensible decision and not look like an idiot for prematurely buying something that won't benefit me at my level or my ranking as a weekly home cook in the knife enthusiast hierarchy. If it won't make a difference to me in terms of efficiency, speed or comfort, then I'd rather do without it.

I bought the Ikea 365+ santoku and the global g2 and at the time, I thought the global knife was better but not 5x the price better so I returned it and kept the Ikea knife. Then I got a bunch of knives for free and sharpened them, and this free "Cuisine de France" santoku knife started outperforming my Ikea 365 knife which seemed to lose its factory edge (not much of an edge tbf) rather quickly. So I said well, I have a sharp knife now, what's the point...and I returned the Ikea knife because I figured well, if I can sharpen and rust erase and hone my own knives, I probably shouldn't be bothering with an $18 knife, I should probably get something that will hold a "Better edge" (idk what this is , really. Tomatoes fear my current knife) and something that will take longer before re-sharpening (I cook once or twice a week. Being vegetarian and mostly plant-based, there is a notable amount of knife work involved. Learning how to sharpen a knife a couple of weeks ago has made it much safer and much more fun)

Oh Also,

- I currently use a santoku knife, it's like idk 5-6 inches in length. Someone on the internet said all chefs use a chef knife of at least 8" in blade length because it makes prep work faster. Can anyone dumb this down for me and specify where that happens? Is it because it'll go through meat and squash and sweet potatoes faster or is it because of some knife principle that I haven't fully understood yet? Because if it's all the same, really, then I figure why buy an 8" knife when a 5-6" knife is just fine? But if it's different, then I figure I should just learn to be comfortable with a chef knife instead of settling for a 5.5" santoku knife, right? I mean the G2 didn't seem particularly difficult to wield, tbh, it just looked rather long compared to other stuff I've used in the past is all.

Okay thanks for making it to the end.

Last edited:
First, I didn't make it to the end.
If you are set on a Japanese knife, I suggest you go and find a Japanese knife website and study up. Then again, there are so many different knives, based upon your post, your head may explode.
I would suggest you find a price point that's comfortable and stick to it. As you know, these blades can get very pricey.
Every knife has a purpose, kind of like western knives but more specific. Depends on what the job is, there is probably a knife designed to do it.
If you do mostly veggies, I believe that a nakiri was designed for that purpose. Straight edge, wide blade.
Forgot to add that nakiri knives can be left or right handed with a chisel grind. Check first.

I have a santoku, a petty knife and a small paring knife. Also some Victorinox serrated.
I think ease of prep largely depends on what you are comfortable with. If a large heavy blade makes you apprehensive then it will slow you down.
Personally I use my petty knife the most as I don't need more blade. I will probably eventually get a nakiri also.
Sharpening, unless you really mess the edge up, is done mostly with a steel. If you need re-profiling, I would have it done professionally if you don't have sharpening skills.

Again, set a price limit and stick to it.
I don't believe quality improves much over $100 and unless you are a professional, making money cooking, then anything over $200 is just bragging rights.
There are so many different knives out there with different qualities that ONLY YOU can decide what's going to work.
This is NOT going to help you, but I have MAC professional, Yoshihiro, and Shun and I am happy with all of them. YMMV.
I almost went Yaxell but decided my cooking doesn't taste good enough to qualify.
You already tried a couple of knives so that's a good start.

BTW, I used a $12 Japanese department store knife for years before I upgraded. Nothing wrong with it and I still use it once in while.
Having a nice knife to cook with is a luxury more than anything.
Have fun shopping!

DSC_2875.jpg

Never mind the two on either end, I was just goofing around.
I had to hide my Martha Stewart bread knife.

Don’t worry about “what Chefs Use” they prep more in a day than you do in a week. Also most that work in a Restaurant, don’t bring expensive knives to work cause they disappear ........ Don’t buy Culinary knives from a furniture store. The Global would of lasted you, likely the rest of your years ... The Wasabi is a decent knife for the money. Last! Throw away all plastic cutting boards. They dull the edges fast & your eating the plastic from those grooves in the board.. Take care!

Don’t worry about “what Chefs Use” they prep more in a day than you do in a week. Also most that work in a Restaurant, don’t bring expensive knives to work cause they disappear ........ Don’t buy Culinary knives from a furniture store. The Global would of lasted you, likely the rest of your years ... The Wasabi is a decent knife for the money. Last! Throw away all plastic cutting boards. They dull the edges fast & your eating the plastic from those grooves in the board.. Take care!

Well the wasabi has a lifetime warranty, are you kinda saying both are good and I should just go with whichever feels nicer or are you saying the global knife is legit better for some reasons?

Well the wasabi has a lifetime warranty, are you kinda saying both are good and I should just go with whichever feels nicer or are you saying the global knife is legit better for some reasons?
The blade is a bit thinner on the Global and I have large ape sized hands & don’t care for the Wa handle on the Wasabi. But if you like it. Stay with the Wasabi. If you’re just prepping veggies , a 7” Blade is fine................................. IMO, some are trying to compensate For something, with insisting that you need a 8-10” blade. Especially if you’re usually just cooking for 2-4 people

I have had an earlier version of the KAI Wasabi, the Seki Magoroku, for more than twenty years--and it's a great knife. I still enjoy using it. KAI has this same blade geometry in many of it's Shun series, including the Shun classic. I have no experience with Global.

Back