Kailash Blades- Show off your knives!

Hey JayGoliath ,
Know its a little late but just looking through older threads and that Ek Chirra looks its in the environment it should be , it just looks a solid functional knife . I like my traditional khukuris but if I was still young and fit enough to visit the places and environments I have in the past it is something like this I would take with me . Especially with the Micarta handle wrap , just whats needed in a junglr environment .

In energy-sapping and water-draining environment like this, a good, sharp working tool is essential.
You want to process what you need and proceed to cool off. Ek Chirra with the Micarta handle proves just that and indeed very powerful for what it is made. I haven't gone past 50% yet.

My Mk1 just arrived friday and of course first thing I needed to hack something with it. So I went after a large Bush Honeysuckle - I had no idea that is what it was called until just now but it came up volunteer in a convenient spot so I left it until it got out of control - and some of the streaks from that are visible in the pics, but it came clean and well oiled so just ignore that.
I got the medium handle length, performance grind, satin finish, 13" blade, and steel bolster. Initial impressions are amazing. Great work guys!

AM-JKLVR0MR4n1d-VNFR2zPNNvH96Q0Aj6xizDK-6m3aISrevUXqQLXin1Zu3IOx5Fa8ZuQYbOHIWPlyPR_6BEUDjXnUkHSoiQjWlUx_6JfWYOaPVvAOllH0l1SMZarPINnhZcqXUqpNz58BgdLVqgISJFHX=w978-h649-no

Last edited:
So glad you're happy with the blade!
Mk1s are a lot of fun- powerful choppers with a lot of history.
Your photos aren't working currently though sorry- judging by the links it seems they're hosted on google photos, but potentially they may be set to private.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Lemme see if I can fix that ......
So glad you're happy with the blade!
Mk1s are a lot of fun- powerful choppers with a lot of history.
Your photos aren't working currently though sorry- judging by the links it seems they're hosted on google photos, but potentially they may be set to private.
Take care,
AM-JKLXwqusGK_zYuhEq654R39lqMTXPPPG5GEyPK-pccrr9sz_OCD9VZiLzcCPzwAFDrxcp_gsdI5RlDLaRFdpsqCg_3iKoc-35GJ7baQMTvXwnLVes2Lk2V0fvHA09c2ZT8t9QYbOL753PuVKDax00FT5Y=w1000-h607-no

AM-JKLWJFQb4vl4_Vps2n4Am9hwCyDxSoa-gnZFd5EHxyyK97FoFmTjJoTKMpmJ1ULD5PbRETrRu4xkEXNEyHQpJ4E_i4963-hkAMZeW5GJhBr34uxwhn6dArh9iAV2xgbrKxbSA7CAu6cKSG_w9Rl8MP158=w1000-h578-no

Last edited:
Just got this worker in today, 7 weeks to the day after ordering. My first sampling of Kailash's Modern stuff.

Scourge Anniversary with Orange Micarta Handle, Satin finish and Heavy Duty grind.
ube7qxz.jpeg

Already lasered through the second half of my brush/wood pile with no dings or rolls anywhere.
I was worried the fingergrip handle would be too overlarge or unwieldy compared to traditional kukri ones, but that's not the case at all, it's insanely comfortable and I don't feel any handshock whatsoever. I could have easily whacked stuff for another couple hours.
I really dig this design, nailing that sweet spot on the blade just cleaves through stuff so cleanly. Is that because of the added extra curve from the handle?

I love choppers, and kukris especially, but there are few giddy feelings like realizing your new tool is now the Best Knife You Own.
Thank you for your work!

Already lasered through the second half of my brush/wood pile with no dings or rolls anywhere.
I was worried the fingergrip handle would be too overlarge or unwieldy compared to traditional kukri ones, but that's not the case at all, it's insanely comfortable and I don't feel any handshock whatsoever. I could have easily whacked stuff for another couple hours.
I really dig this design, nailing that sweet spot on the blade just cleaves through stuff so cleanly. Is that because of the added extra curve from the handle?

Awesome to hear you're happy with the blade!
The handles do look a tough intimidating with all of their sculpting and shaping but they are quite welcoming in hand. While they might be large they're not too heavily indexed to a certain hand size so can be a comfy fit even if you don't fill the whole thing.

The strong amount of curve at the sweet spot helps to focus force on a small area and spread out as it bites deeper. A much leaner grind than is seen on most khukuri reproductions helps a lot in this respect too. While the handle does have a bit of added cant compared to a lot of traditional designs, it's still within the traditional range. On a blade like this it helps primarily by giving a more comfortable wrist angle when impacting.

Would it be alright if we reposted this on social media? The micarta handle looks lovely
Take care,
Andrew

Just got this worker in today, 7 weeks to the day after ordering. My first sampling of Kailash's Modern stuff.

Scourge Anniversary with Orange Micarta Handle, Satin finish and Heavy Duty grind.
ube7qxz.jpeg

I love choppers, and kukris especially, but there are few giddy feelings like realizing your new tool is now the Best Knife You Own.
Thank you for your work!
I like how the orange slabs turned out on this one. Plan on some for a Panawal... at least.

Can't not share this beauty

Semi-custom HSI: 11.5" Raw blade, Steel HW, Indian Rosewood (asked for a dark but not black one - came out perfectly) Medium handle, Brown Salyani/Rubbed leather sheath, Standard Grind, Additional Karda and Chakmak and Extra Mini-style blade engraving and Salyani-style handle carving
Waited a little longer than approximated eta but not much - order was placed in april and the blade was shipped out in july almost exactly 3 months later
Not exactly a workhorse, but it has seen some use over and I'm impressed, very sharp and very very effective for it's size
Blade and handle are a tiny bit misaligned, but it's not noticebale when holding or using it, the size is just enough to fit it comfortably in my regular 27l backpack even when filled with other stuff. The handle ring does create a bit of a hotspot when swinging it for longer period of time, but it hasn't been that bad for me yet and I'll just sand it down a bit when I get around to it or it starts to bother me.

The lovely looks you can judge yourself, the feel in hand and active handling and tactility of the whole thing is just gorgeous, including the sheath, very worth the money in my opinion. Whole knife really has that unique palpable handmade spirit

AMuIkch.jpg

61p0lXW.jpg

Zo6oGkc.jpg

qqspobF.png

5LwLJ8c.png

oyJRD7y.jpg

prcLYOk.jpg

69OX6js.jpg

One small disappointment though - after I've paid the invoice, I had second thoughts and changed the Karda and Chakmak for Cursive EDC, which required paying up a little more, asked if it's okay to wait with that since the blade hasn't started production yet and was told it was okay, so I ended up waiting until I receive production updates to pay up, except those never came, only the update that my blade has already been shipped with the specs I specified fomerly, I replied straight away, but it was already on the way and there was nothing to be done - so yeah it did take some time and I intended to pay the rest sooner and it's my bad that I haven't, but there was still some uncertainty with the shipping approximations and post-covid delays so I thought it's just taking longer than approximated

It's a pity with the Cursive (and I was looking forward to the production updates too), but otherwise I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Side note: been treating it all with camelia oil - bit too much of it on the sheath and it starts to acquire an interesting beetle-like shiny green tinge. It only had a tiny bit of surface rust when it arrived and it went off easily with scotch brite, and I haven't had any problems with it since.

Oh and a question for Kailash Blades Kailash Blades I'm cruious about: whose mark is the setting sun?

Thank you so much everyone at Kailash and keep at it!

Great to hear you're happy with the HSI! We've also seen some insectoid looking sheaths after treatment with ballistol- looks pretty cool I think. I'm sorry to hear we missed out on the invoice for the cursive change- there wasn't any invoice request that came through to me so the team must not have actioned it properly. I've noticed a few times where these kind of things get pushed to a later date rather than being dealt with immediately. Just opens up opportunities for things to slip through the cracks or get forgotten about. I'll be bringing it up the team in our next meeting. Thanks for all the feedback- it really helps out. The setting sun is Mahesh- he's been with us for almost six months now and is gunna be heading onto the website in the next few weeks along with some other staff updates :) He's Bikram's brother and is a very talented guy.
Take care,

Last edited:

Just received my first blade from Kailash. Have not had a chance to use it yet. It is really nice and feels light and balanced.
Sirupate 12 inch blade with rat tail, orange micarta handle, satin finish, performance grind and an oil quench. Got a traditional dap and thought about it and was able to add a kydex sheath. Glad I got the kydex, the traditional dap is going to take some breaking in and mainly practice getting it out as it kind of locks in.

Kailash2165 by Scooter, on Flickr

kailash2163 (2) by Scooter, on Flickr

kailash2158 (2) by Scooter, on Flickr

Just received my first blade from Kailash. Have not had a chance to use it yet. It is really nice and feels light and balanced.
Sirupate 12 inch blade with rat tail, orange micarta handle, satin finish, performance grind and an oil quench. Got a traditional dap and thought about it and was able to add a kydex sheath. Glad I got the kydex, the traditional dap is going to take some breaking in and mainly practice getting it out as it kind of locks in.
I've got a soft spot for smaller siruaptes! Such handy and versatile blades.
I've got some photos of your sheath that are going to go on the website to promote the new colour options- looks great here. Some tips for your dap- If the blade has dried up and the surface is a little tacky give it a wash and try again once dry. You can also try to reoil with mineral oil or some similar. Make sure there's no excess though- particularly if going into kydex. You can also try "breaking" the sticking point by holding the blade at the handle then thwacking the sheath firmly with the palm at the inside edge of the frog, then on the spine side. The guys do this to help loosen up tight sheaths and as part of the pre breakin work we do prior to shipping. Check if the sheath has developed a bend or dip in the middle during shipping also- you may be able to bend it back gently by placing two thick books at each end and pressing. If your sheath is tight be extra carful drawing and storing- keep the palm and fingers clear of the point and the edge. The resistance of cutting or poking through the sheath is a lot harder to notice if it's a stiff sheath.
Take care,

I've got some photos of your sheath that are going to go on the website to promote the new colour options- looks great here. Some tips for your dap- If the blade has dried up and the surface is a little tacky give it a wash and try again once dry. You can also try to reoil with mineral oil or some similar. Make sure there's no excess though- particularly if going into kydex. You can also try "breaking" the sticking point by holding the blade at the handle then thwacking the sheath firmly with the palm at the inside edge of the frog, then on the spine side. The guys do this to help loosen up tight sheaths and as part of the pre breakin work we do prior to shipping. Check if the sheath has developed a bend or dip in the middle during shipping also- you may be able to bend it back gently by placing two thick books at each end and pressing. If your sheath is tight be extra carful drawing and storing- keep the palm and fingers clear of the point and the edge. The resistance of cutting or poking through the sheath is a lot harder to notice if it's a stiff sheath.
Take care,
Thanks for the tips. The kydex is fine and it is easy to use. It fits well and I think it is great and will be my main choice for walking in the woods. I would hate to be wrestling with the dap if I were to run into wild hogs up close. The dap works a little better if I pull the handle so the spine moves toward the inside edge of the sheath. Seems to be "straighter" when getting it out. I also am only going to put it in just deep enough to cover the sharp edge up to the cho. I was aware of keeping my fingers from wrapping around the blade side of the sheath. I could definitely see how it could cut through trying to pull one out of a tight sheath. Do you have a showroom or shop in Katmandu? I have a friend who is traveling there soon.

Thanks for the tips. The kydex is fine and it is easy to use. It fits well and I think it is great and will be my main choice for walking in the woods. I would hate to be wrestling with the dap if I were to run into wild hogs up close. The dap works a little better if I pull the handle so the spine moves toward the inside edge of the sheath. Seems to be "straighter" when getting it out. I also am only going to put it in just deep enough to cover the sharp edge up to the cho. I was aware of keeping my fingers from wrapping around the blade side of the sheath. I could definitely see how it could cut through trying to pull one out of a tight sheath. Do you have a showroom or shop in Katmandu? I have a friend who is traveling there soon.
No showroom unfortunately- only our workshop in Nakhipot. We love having visitors. They're welcome to come visit and see things getting made- we also have some blems and prototypes they could pick up. Or they could place an order in advance and pick up on the day.

Take care,
The "breaking" the sticking point worked and it is much easier to use but still holds the blade very well.

Back