Kami Marks

Some of my newer Khukuris have marks that I am unfamiliar with and I can't find a place that has all of the marks. As one who loves my Khukuris, I would like to have all of the information possible about each of them. Anyone know where to find this information? Does anyone else want to know this about their treasured Khukuri? Thanks for input.

I was thinking that an updated thread with current Kami photos, info and marks would be awesome. Probably opening a giant can of worms here,, but it would be cool - jus sayin

I compiled a small list the other day I will try to repeat here:

Bura- vertical crescent, sometimes horizontal, devangari and/or english initials L.B.
Keshar lal- now crescent was 6 pointed star
durba- horizontal nepali flag
murali- vertical nepali flag
anil- vertical nepali flag
dhan- open eye (new)
thamar-fylflot
R.R.( this maybe amtrak?) fylflot
sanu- cross
sher- full sun/half sun
bir gorkha shop 1= circle with 4 double rays
lachmu- 8 rayed sun
lok- (trident?)
lokendra-?( leaf/lotus)
yuvraj- candle/torch
raj kumar- double mountains
bhakta- bow with arrow
dil- horizontal crescent
tirtha- beer mug
young sher- madal

we can work out most of it if we just gather the names and symbols, I am sure of some of these not so sure about others

Last edited:
This is great, if we had pictures it would help.
young sher's mark - tipped over beer mug
Rakumari also - double mountains, does that mean the region where the kami came from?

Would the six sided star be the new shop? If so, the mark to the right would be the kami's mark. On this one it is a small circle with 4 lines out at 90 degrees.
Some of the Devengari, I haven't seen before. The name of the Kami is a mark I haven't seen before

I know there has been turnover, and your information is really helpful. The marks that I have came from "Kami Mark Key" version 1.1, but I don't know where that is now or how old. It would be a big undertaking for HI to make this information known, but I would love to have this kind of background.

I also am familiar with the Devengari marks for Himalayan Imports

sawgrass post some photos of your marks and we can try to figure them out!

Young Shers mark is not the tipped over beer mug it is a half sun with rays.
Tirtha has the beer mug (we actually jokingly call it that) but it is actually a Madal Drum.

Most of the past kami marks can be found in the Link Library at the top of the forum. We have as yet to update things at least until we know who will be staying with us long term.

A lil more info;)
Bubba, as a follow up to the responses, I guess I should explain what “Laha” is. You will usually see tree sap given as the main ingredient. This old myth usually makes the old timers chuckle and shake their heads. I’ll go ahead and repeat the often told story of how we all put this old yarn to rest.

Years ago, outsiders hotly debated the ingredients in laha. The tree sap story had really gotten hold. Folks love these tales. Some researchers from Katmandu Poly Tech. traveled to Bir Gorkha to do some tests. Kami Sherpa immediately identified them as spies from Casa de Khukuri and pinned them into a corner. Bura, the old master, was just finishing up the original Dui Chirra Americana, a 53” 11.5 pound masterpiece. Bura decided the perfect way to quench or “christen” his work would be to plunge the still white hot blade into the belly of a rather plump researcher. About the time the Kamis were just about singeing the belly hair of said researcher, Uncle Bill and Auntie Yangdu returned from their weekend yacht trip on Lake ‘o’ the Neems. And not a second too soon! The defused the situation and convinced Kami Sherpa to allow the scientists to finish what they came for.

Well, the folks from Poly Tech. “discovered” what most of us had known all along: laha is nothing more than a simple mixture of common, everyday, unicorn snot, elf blood, and yeti boogers. Nothing more, nothing less. This old ”tree sap” legend has been the source of much consternation. One day, according to the union stewart of Kami local #211, one of the elves stripped down to his boxer shorts, ran out of the Bir Gorkha cafeteria, and demanded an apology from every tree in the company courtyard.:eek: Later on, we learned that Tirtha had replaced the elves’ juice with Shiner Bock, and we all know what happens when elves drink dark beer! That’s also how Tirtha got the “Beer Mug” nick name, and a lesson for another day.

Hopefully, that answers any questions and makes you feel better about the laha around the bolster. :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...an-Imports-Link-Library?p=8722982#post8722982

Young Sher's mark is Nepali drum Madal.

Dhan Bahadur Kami mark
TDMDoAJ.jpg

Well, I am learning to use photobucket, which I guess is the best way to get pics on here. If it work, I will post some photos from my Khukuris and maybe we can compare notes. Thank you Aunty for your input. I would appreciate any information that you can share. I am getting 2 customs late this month (hopefully) and would really like to know who makes them. I have never seen marks like the picture above. Thanks for continued input.

Some of the marks you see lately are relatively new Kami's or old kami's that haven't been around for awhile but are coming back to HI.

I'm sure Auntie will let you know who made your customs and if you post a picture there's guys here that will know right off who made it. One of the cool things about HI is knowing who made your knife.

yeah it is definitely part of the magic of HI -- I like knowing who made the knives, just a fan of handmade things, because I appreciate how bad I am at making things by hand.

Thanks guys. I will do that when I get them and post on here photos and Kami marks. Good idea. Thanks

Lokendra Kami:

View attachment 465113

View attachment 465112

I'm not sure what this kami mark would be called. A sideways torch? It's not any kind of fish that I've ever seen.

I have several knives by Lokendra and they all have this same mark.

This short-sword is quite unusual, not a regular HI model. Probably somebody's special order at some time. It's very comfortable in the hand, can be wielded one-handed or two-handed and feels quite lethal, more so than most of the HI blades I've held, though of course lethality depends more on the skill of the wielder. Overall length 21", weight 35 oz. The scabbard is also unusual, very thick leather and heavily constructed.

Last edited:
what kami used the fish?-- also dave you know I gotta know-- WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!?!?!

Back