Kamp King Klean Up Question

Just scored an Imperial Kamp King for $2 at a garage sale. All the blades were stuck shut and the black finish has peeled off. Managed to pull the awl open...no blade play, walks and talks, some rust. Where do I start to clean this and what's the best approach? Once the black color flakes off, is it best to leave the sides silver?

Thanks for the help!

I'd put it in a tin can and fill the wells up with WD40 and let it sit a day or two. A good oil soaking will often loosen them right up.

Just scored an Imperial Kamp King for $2 at a garage sale. All the blades were stuck shut and the black finish has peeled off. Managed to pull the awl open...no blade play, walks and talks, some rust. Where do I start to clean this and what's the best approach? Once the black color flakes off, is it best to leave the sides silver?

Thanks for the help!
You should stick it in a Ziploc bag or plastic container with mineral oil ( available in decent size bottle for about $3 at the pharmacy )
This should help loosen it up.

As for the black plastic film it really is best to leave it off, that's what I did with this imperial peanut that was new old stock when I got it.

I’d soak it in mineral oil, then drop it in the ultrasonic cleaner. A couple cycles of that and hit it between with a stiff brush. That will get rid if most of the rust and crud. I’ve rescued knives that were rusted solid with that routine.

I picked this knife up for a song because the plastic was flaking off. It was in great shape otherwise. They look better without it IMO.

Sa1Hu8H.jpg

Ditto on the soaking. I've got a tall, small diameter jar for soaking Opinels and rescue knives. That way you can immerse completely with less oil.

I'd zap it with pb blaster.
Before the invention of the thin celluloid covers, these handle used to be painted. I think I have one still that had lost the black cover on one side and I either painted or indelible markered it.

Take some pictures now and then come back after you soak it and get it cleaned up to show us the result! Have fun, I enjoy cleaning up knives like that:thumbsup:

I'd zap it with pb blaster.
Before the invention of the thin celluloid covers, these handle used to be painted. I think I have one still that had lost the black cover on one side and I either painted or indelible markered it.
It works, but in my exlexperie it's smell is hard to get rid of.

Back