CRKT Kangee T-Hawk in the mail . Will it break/chip in hard use ?

My very first CRKT to actually purchase . I'm not real confident in the HT on these . Read a number of reviews with photos of bad chipping out ,on the corners especially .

Should arrive pretty soon and I'm eager to do my own practical proof testing .

CRKT is hit or miss on the heat treat. Chances are that it'll be fine, I haven't gotten more than a dozen of their offerings over the years and they have been fine. But CRKT is known to screw up and ship out without a final QC that would catch it. It doesn't really matter what we say here, you will know one way or another when you hit that first knot in the wood. Or nail.... God, I hate people who drive nails in trees up to the head and just walk away.

CRKT is hit or miss on the heat treat. Chances are that it'll be fine, I haven't gotten more than a dozen of their offerings over the years and they have been fine. But CRKT is known to screw up and ship out without a final QC that would catch it. It doesn't really matter what we say here, you will know one way or another when you hit that first knot in the wood. Or nail.... God, I hate people who drive nails in trees up to the head and just walk away.
Yeah ! I really like the design of this hawk and want it to hold up . I've wanted to try numerous CRKT designs over the years but felt put off by the poor reviews and overall bad rep of the company . :(

I don't plan to make my tests unrealistically harsh . Just normal use for a "tactical hawk" . If the HT is good , that should be no problem . :cool::thumbsup:

I don't plan to make my tests unrealistically harsh . Just normal use for a "tactical hawk" . If the HT is good , that should be no problem . :cool::thumbsup:
Are we talking, like, splitting seasoned kindling here, or cleaving in twain the skulls of your enemies?

Literally right under “General Knife Discussion”, there seems to be an “Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet” subforum. You might try there.
https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/axe-tomahawk-hatchet-forum.768/

Are we talking, like, splitting seasoned kindling here, or cleaving in twain the skulls of your enemies?

Literally right under “General Knife Discussion”, there seems to be an “Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet” subforum. You might try there.
https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/axe-tomahawk-hatchet-forum.768/
Guess you didn't read this thread too carefully , but thanx anyway . Please see post #2 above , literally right under post #1 ! :rolleyes:

Thought I might get some response here in GKD , cause it's a CRKT product . The AT&K forum doesn't seem very active for cheaper T-hawks . :(

I've already long ago dealt with all dangerous enemies within my reach , so I'll use seasoned hardwood to chop and probably do some throwing . :cool::thumbsup:

Guess you didn't read this thread too carefully , but thanx anyway . Please see post #2 above , literally right under post #1 ! :rolleyes:

Thought I might get some response here in GKD , cause it's a CRKT product . The AT&K forum doesn't seem very active for cheaper T-hawks . :(

I've already long ago dealt with all dangerous enemies within my reach , so I'll use seasoned hardwood to chop and probably do some throwing . :cool::thumbsup:

I am also confused. You said you were going to do testing that was appropriate for a "tactical hawk." That's more forced entry kinda stuff, not ax tasks.

I guess "Will it chip?" depends on what you are doing with it.

I'm pretty sure axes and hatchets and such are for the former, and tomahawks are solely for the latter, no?
Yes and no ! :p

Most "tactical" hawks are not as head heavy and so will not be as efficient for heavy chopping as a regular ax or hatchet , but they are a multipurpose tool and will most certainly chop wood better than any short regular knife . :cool::thumbsup:

T-hawk should even handle those fractious bananas ! :rolleyes:

The video you posted has a guy whacking a 55 gal metal drum with it.

Is that the "tactical" testing you are planning?
Is your testing the same as what you expect to do with it after testing?
Read that thread please , I addressed your question there .

I am also confused. You said you were going to do testing that was appropriate for a "tactical hawk." That's more forced entry kinda stuff, not ax tasks.

That would be my expectation too. Prying (security) doors, chipping out locks, breaking glass, wedging, etc. would be my idea of what a 'tactical hawk' would be used for. I guess there's always the possibility of using it in self defense, but I wouldn't think that (or normal axe tasks) would be it's strong suit.

You opened your other thread, the one you want us to read through to figure out what you are asking, in the AT&K forum.

:confused:

This is far too complicated. Good luck.

It's a good hatchet, I used mine to take apart a tree trunk that fell in my yard. It was about a 15' section of fallen tree trunk about 2' wide and I cut it into 3 pieces with this hawk so I could remove it. Cuts wood well, bites deep, doesn't bind. That damn spike scared me on every swing though. The edge took little damage on the tree but when I later used it to chop saplings near the ground I guess I hit some rocks, the edge got really jacked up.

T-hawk should even handle those fractious bananas ! :rolleyes:

A tomahawk might make sense in that case. You should always be cautious around bananas; they've been known to conceal tanto blades:

cKUZzdV.jpg

That is correct. 'Hawks by their design are not chopping tools. Never were.
Chopping is a entirely valid part of their purpose . So is prying . Use as an entry/ rescue tool .

Tactical hawks, in the modern usage, are combat / survival multitools .

They should be able to perform well for a variety of support functions ,just as the original meaning of "combat" or "tactical" support equipment always was .

"Combat or tactical" clothing , boots , ambulance etc etc etc . Does NOT necessarily imply primary use as a weapon ! It only means that it is sturdy and durable for use in the battlefield environment .

Even most combat / tactical knives are (and always were) mostly used for utility and only rarely ever pressed into last ditch desperate use as a weapon .

Back