1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

CRKT Kangee T-Hawk in the mail . Will it break/chip in hard use ?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by DocJD, Jul 2, 2019.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Sorry if this is beyond your comprehension . I'll try to be simpler . :rolleyes:

2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I'd venture to guess that "forced entry" tasks would be much more demanding in most cases than what most wood chopping hatchets /axes would normally have to contend with .

This kind of tool really does need to be as tough as possible . I'm NOT expecting miracles from a ~$100 CRKT T-hawk , but it should have at least a moderately decent HT to be a valid product .

I'm personally not planning to perform a "destruct test" . Unless someone wants to fund the loss ! ;)

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  3. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Umm, yeah. Your cricket isn’t going to be up for taking doors. You should get something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Or just turn around and donkey kick it. Maybe there will be a skull or two to cleave in twain on the other side, though. :)

Trailsawyer and DocJD like this.
  4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I've got a 42" Stanley Wrecking Bar . Usually carry in my SUV . Cost me ~$23 . It will just have to do ! :p

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  5. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Probably will. You don’t wanna know what they were asking for the one I just showed you.

DocJD likes this.
  6. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    gotgoat and BigKurtHaze like this.
  7. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    That's all true if you believe marketing terms like "survival," "tactical," "bushcraft," etc mean more than design. Tnat is one way to understand knives, certainly.

Enjoy your knife.

DocJD likes this.
  8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    You're right. You are always nothing, if not simple. My bad.

DocJD likes this.
  9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I believe AFTER I test . That's the whole idea of this thread , other than to amaze and baffle . ;)

Square_peg and BigKurtHaze like this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Welp , I do believe I've done "got lucky" and been blessed with a cherry instead of a lemon ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Received my first ever T-hawk yesterday and started right in with it . Continued thru today . Chopped at some seasoned hardwoods and did some throwing . Also used the pommel to do some prying .

I'm really quite impressed with this hawk ! So far the HT seems fine , but I haven't pushed it by doing anything crazy... yet . :p

Fit and finish is fine . Just one screw on the handle looks rough , but completely functional .

The design is fantastic , lot of thought went into this hawk . Feels good in hand . Balance is perfect and handle is very ergonomic .

The sheath is well designed and works , but is not very heavy duty . The shoulder strap , which I didn't use, is very thin nylon .

https://www.crkt.com/kangee-t-hawk.html

11. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What does that mean?

12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    It means that the balance point is in just the right place such that it handles faster and better for fighting or throwing . It's not as head heavy as a regular hatchet .

I'll measure the spot and /or take a pic later .

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  13. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    This one doesn't seem to hold up from what I've read. I really like the shape and size and have always wanted and RMJ. I'm wondering, is there a middle ground? Should I just save up the $500 for the RMJ?

14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I bought mine from Walmart . 3 month return window . No huge risk involved .

You are bound to get a better quality hawk and more selection from RMJ , but you'll pay 4 to 5 X . Depends on what you want or need . All up to you !

For me , this hawk is really just a guy toy to play with . Unlikely my life will depend on it . The CRKT version is more than adequate for me .

15. PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman

Jun 15, 2007
    Link removed, read the site rules instead of trying to be funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  16. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    Are Gearbest an approved vendor now? I'm trying to stay away from steel that was a frying pan or chain link fence in a previous life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
  17. PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman

Jun 15, 2007
    Well, i don't think it is, but i don't know wwho would be foolish enough to buy that thing.o_O

18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    o_O Then why post a pic and a link ? Just trolling ? :confused: