Kapara

Bummer to hear there’s not more edge melting on the Kapara.

Taichung can definately do a phenomenal job in this regard with the Southard being a prime example; It’s just a matter of production (and retail) cost.

The Hungarian, IMO, is a good example of being abrupt without being too abrupt. If the Kapara is similar, It’ll be GTG in my book!

Hopefully mine shipps soon!

ETA: It shipped and it should be waiting for me when I get home from work on Friday!

Last edited:
A few questions if you please:
1. What’s the thickness compared to a PM2
2. How does it carry in pocket compared to PM2 or perhaps Manix2?
3. Is is on washers or bearings?
4. Good edc?
Thanks!

A few questions if you please:
1. What’s the thickness compared to a PM2
2. How does it carry in pocket compared to PM2 or perhaps Manix2?
3. Is is on washers or bearings?
4. Good edc?
Thanks!

Just a hair wider than the PM2, it's a little hard to measure because of the contouring but seems to be right around .515 compared to the PM2 right around .455
It feels a little smaller in the pocket since the bump in the blade for the spydie hole is much less pronounced
Deep carry clip and smooth scales make it a breeze to pull from the pocket and replace
PB washers
Seems like an excellent EDC as long as the blade length isn't an issue

Took the plunge...should have her in hand before the weekend. :thumbsup:

Blade steel seems to be the main "knock" I've heard on this model...

but I've found s30v to be a breeze to touch up on the SharpMaker.

All steel needs sharpening from time to time and I prefer the trade off of "ease of sharpening session" v. "duration between needing sharpening sessions." YMMV

I like the aesthetics and spider model theme in general. Ergos look great, too, although I am a little concerned about the handle slickness factor combined with the absence of choil + thumb ramp jimping. o_O

The Kapara compression tab <or perhaps lack thereof > is pleasing to my eye. It really integrates into the graceful handle lines well. I hope it as easy to dis/engage as the traditional tab type.

Right now, I'm pretty hyped about this svelte arachnid. :cool:

Last edited:
My Kapara arrived yesterday and it’s EXCELLENT!
Very good fit and finish in all regards as expected from Taichung.
My sample is a free dropper. Lockbar tension is on the strong side, though not overly so.

Continuing discussion on the spine and Spydie hole, therse are my thoughts on my sample:
Spine contouring is similar to my PM2; not an issue for me.
The Spydiehole is abrupt, but without reaching too abrupt. It’s slightly more abrupt than my Manix 2LW and on par to slightly softer than my Hungarian. Having a little bit of bite works well for this knife; I think it’s fine. I feel no need or desire to stone it down like I did on my PacSalt and Delica 4.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

Tags to W Warbow150 and @Gravy who asked me questions in other threads.

I’ll have lots more to say. If I have time I’ll write up my thoughts and observations in the reviews forum.

ETA it’s on washers, confirmed by the designer and someone that broke theirs down on another forum.

Last edited:
My Kapara arrived yesterday and it’s EXCELLENT!
Very good fit and finish in all regards as expected from Taichung.
My sample is a free dropper. Lockbar tension is on the strong side, though not overly so.

Continuing discussion on the spine and Spydie hole, therse are my thoughts on my sample:
Spine contouring is similar to my PM2; not an issue for me.
The Spydiehole is abrupt, but without reaching too abrupt. It’s slightly more abrupt than my Manix 2LW and on par to slightly softer than my Hungarian. Having a little bit of bite works well for this knife; I think it’s fine. I feel no need or desire to stone it down like I did on my PacSalt and Delica 4.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

Tags to W Warbow150 and @Gravy who asked me questions in other threads.

I’ll have lots more to say. If I have time I’ll write up my thoughts and observations in the reviews forum.

Pretty sexy blade. I don't like CF much but it looks good to me.

BD_01 BD_01 how "tough" do you think it is? I know they said it is designed around a kitchen type slicer, but is it as capable as a PM3/Para3 or similar? Is it just more robust than a Delica?
Id love to have one but cant afford another knife right now without getting rid of some real favorites.

Boxer .45 Boxer .45 , you don’t like carbon fiber? The pattern on the Kapara might change your mind. ;)

Ok, here are the rest of my early thoughts after an extensive 24 hours of contemplation. :D

It fits the hand GREAT, but the CF is lusciously smooth and there’s no jimping. In other words, traction will come from the good ergonomics, and that’s about it.

I’m not sure how to answer your question about toughness. My very first impression on unboxing the Kapara was that it felt sturdier than expected. The materials and construction are solid. It feels sturdier to me than a Delica and, ...dare I say it... a PacSalt. Looking at blades though, it’s hard to imagine anything sturdier than the PacSalt...hahahaha.

The Kapara seems to me like it was meant for slicing. If I was building a fence or cutting cardboard all day, I’d grab something that would fill my hand more. I gave my opinion on ergonomics & stuff last night in Warbow’s thread.

Here’s a pic I took of spine thickness and tip grinds in case that helps. All said and done, if you’re using the knife for cutting, it feels like the Kapara would be up to the task. (I’ll still grab my PM2 for heavier work though. I love the PM2 in that role.) It’s still new to me, but I’d bill the Kapara as a classy EDC that’s not afraid to get dirty.

Left to right: Delica 4, Kapara, PM2, Manix 2LW.

As long as I’ve gone this far, I’ll save creating a post in the reviews section by noting an observation. The cutout for lock access is a little bit smaller than on the PM2. One has to work harder to jam the fingertip all the way into the lockbar for disengagement. That makes the knife less fidget friendly than the PM2. Mine still has great action though.

When they were announced, I made myself choose between the Brouwer, Kapara, and Smock. Although I haven’t held the other two, I’m totally happy with my choice.

madcap_magician madcap_magician , sorry if I hijacked your thread. :(
Boxer made me do it. :p

Last edited:
Boxer .45 Boxer .45 , you don’t like carbon fiber? The pattern on the Kapara might change your mind. ;)

Ok, here are the rest of my early thoughts after an extensive 24 hours of contemplation. :D

It fits the hand GREAT, but the CF is lusciously smooth and there’s no jimping. In other words, traction will come from the good ergonomics, and that’s about it.

I’m not sure how to answer your question about toughness. My very first impression on unboxing the Kapara was that it feelt sturdier than expected. The materials and construction are solid. It feels sturdier to me than a Delica and, ...dare I say it... a PacSalt. Looking at blades though, it’s hard to imagine anything sturdier than the PacSalt...hahahaha.

The Kapara seems to me like it was meant for slicing. If I was building a fence or cutting cardboard all day, I’d grab something that would fill my hand more. I gave my opinion on ergonomics & stuff last night in Warbow’s thread.

Here’s a pic I took of spine thickness and tip grinds in case that helps. All said and done, if you’re using the knife for cutting, it feels like the Kapara would be up to the task. (I’ll still grab my PM2 for heavier work though. I love the PM2 in that role.) It’s still new to me, but I’d bill the Kapara as a classy EDC that’s not afraid to get dirty.

As long as I’ve gone this far, I’ll save creating a post in the reviews section by noting an observation. The cutout for lock access is a little bit smaller than on the PM2. One has to work harder jamming the fingertip into the lockbar to push it in all the way. That makes the knife less fidget friendly than the PM2.

When they were announced, I made myself choose between the Brouwer, Kapara, and Smock. Although I haven’t held the other two, I’m totally happy with my choice.

Thanks. You answered what I asked and more. Thanks for the Comparison pictures, especially the blades.
Not that I hate CF, I just generally prefer G10.

I’m not sure how to answer your question about toughness. My very first impression on unboxing the Kapara was that it felt sturdier than expected. The materials and construction are solid. It feels sturdier to me than a Delica and, ...dare I say it... a PacSalt. Looking at blades though, it’s hard to imagine anything sturdier than the PacSalt...hahahaha.

As long as I’ve gone this far, I’ll save creating a post in the reviews section by noting an observation. The cutout for lock access is a little bit smaller than on the PM2. One has to work harder to jam the fingertip all the way into the lockbar for disengagement. That makes the knife less fidget friendly than the PM2. Mine still has great action though.

Great write up, thank you! Because of your pics in the EDC thread, I ordered one! So stoked!!!

I got mine on Friday and am just really pleased with it.

Beautiful scales and the fit and finish is just what we have come to expect from Spyderco's Taiwan factory. The red backspacer is very cool and I like the compression lock better than a liner lock. The carbon fiber scales are outstanding with a nice smooth finish that almost "dances" in the right light.

Pretty expensive tho, I wouldn't want to pay any more for a steel upgrade over S30V. Still I think worth every penny as it sits and it looks to be my main RFP carry for a while at least. :thumbsup:

Back