Kaparas are coming back in stock

That’s great to hear they’re back in stock! I’ve had one for a couple months and while its action is somewhat stiff, I LOVE the knife. Super in pocket, tons of blade, slices like crazy, and great ergonomics. Not to mention it’s beautiful.

This thing cuts so well that I anticipate using it on deer and elk this fall to supplement my Esee 3hm. I may just end up selling my 940-1, the Kapara carries just as well and preforms better.

Seeing all these kaparas just makes me want one even more!! Man I need to get rid of my sage 5 and pick one of these up!

This is surely a slim and good looking knife. Wish it had a better steel though. Nothing wrong with s30v but the overall profile and price deserve something like M390.

I've never quite figured out what all the fuss about the Kapara. Same applies to the SpydieChef and SlyzBowie but that's another matter.

I've always thought of the Kapara as a "soft" pass for me. Never hated it but never loved it either. Nothing particularly unique about it as compared w/the many other Spyders that I own. I've put it in my Spyderco cart multiple times and just did so again but, after checking the photos and specs again, just removed it from the cart again.

CF scales? Got many like it already.
Flat grind blade? Got many like it already.
Sheepsfoot shaped blade? Got many like it already.
S30V blade steel? Got many like it already.
3 5/8" length blade? Got many like it already.
Wire clip? Got many like it already.
Compression lock? Got many like it already.
Taiwan made? Got many like it already.

Red backspacer? Don't have any others w/that but is that a good enough reason for me to buy it? I think not.

So, I guess the Karapa is really a HARD (not soft) pass for me.

I've never quite figured out what all the fuss about the Kapara. Same applies to the SpydieChef and SlyzBowie but that's another matter.

I've always thought of the Kapara as a "soft" pass for me. Never hated it but never loved it either. Nothing particularly unique about it as compared w/the many other Spyders that I own. I've put it in my Spyderco cart multiple times and just did so again but, after checking the photos and specs again, just removed it from the cart again.

Red backspacer? Don't have any others w/that but is that a good enough reason for me to buy it? I think not.

C'mon, who doesn't need some Taiwanese CQI adorned in carbon fiber?

I felt the same in photos, but in hand it really shines.

I too am curious about the CQI specifics.
My early sample locks up fine and was a free faller from the box, though not quite as freely as my PM2.
The only complaint I have is a lockbar that’s a wee bit on the stiff side but not really that big of a deal.

It’s a great knife and IMO ranks with the Spydiechef as an instant classic.

I have an early sample as well. Lock is sticky and stiff, but it Spydie flicks really well and drops shut (... once you get the lock to disengage in the first place, LOL).

I haven't carried it, but maybe I'll scrape up some money and get a CQI one to compare.

TBH the only time the stiff lock is an issue is when I try to fidget (which I’m trying to break myself from anyway).

In “real” use, it’s a non-issue for me.

TBH the only time the stiff lock is an issue is when I try to fidget (which I’m trying to break myself from anyway).

In “real” use, it’s a non-issue for me.

I'm oddly glad that there's an improved version out now, it's almost like my old one now has an undesirable defect that means I'll be willing to start carrying it.

i-tv329C8-L.jpg

My Kapara came on Monday afternoon. Threw it in my pocket and it’s all I’ve used since. Wow. This is a nice knife.
This is actually my first compression lock. I have probably 10 Spyderco Knives, lately my black Southard, spydiechef, and gb2 are my edc. Gayle Bradley and Southard have an mxg clip, which I really like. But The wire clip is perfect for me. The Kapara goes in and out of the pocket like a dream. Even better than my spydiechef.
The Kapara feels like maybe the sharpest knife I’ve ever gotten from a factory. It cuts so well. I have a 3 year old son who loves fruit,I cut a lot of fruit. This knife is perfect for me, always opening packages, cutting fruit.
Fit and finish, perfect. Carbon fiber is beautiful, blows everything else I have away. The handle is nice for my hand. Rounded everywhere. Clip is perfect, backspacer is such a nice color, it doesn’t stand out in my pocket, but when I’m holding it and admiring it I really like it. In my pocket I’ve been using it like a worry stone. It’s so smooth and feels so nice in pocket. Sorry to ramble but I’ve fallen for this knife. It’s a great knife.

It is nice. Very slim and the CF is a little slick, making the compression lock a bit tricky to do one-handed. If you have sausage fingers on your meat hooks, maybe look elsewhere if that matters to you.

You guys are a bunch of enablers... I just ordered one and it wasn’t even on my radar.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It is a beautiful and well made knife. The CF scales are very nicely done.

I really like the smooth action on it too.

I'm still holding out. I need to sell some knives off first then I may look into one!

As others have pointed out, the fit and finish in the Kapara is outstanding. It doesn’t take up a lot of pocket, great ergonomics, easy opening, perfectly centered blade and smooth beautiful carbon fiber translating to no shredded pockets. Although a more exotic steel would have been preferred, this S30V blade arrived super sharp.

For Benchmade fans, IMHO the Kapara is kind of a cross between to 940 and 710 in size and slimness.

21C78665-3DD5-4047-829E-D480F9A740EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back