Katana source

Can someone point me were I can find some modern authentic traditional handmade Japanese katana swords for sale. Also, what would be some good reputable katana makers out there.

PS
not interested in Chinese made imitations

PPS
I want to buy a nice piece and display (ie not for actual practice etc)
Thanks

Last edited:
Your request is somewhat of a conundrum. If you are looking for a knife/sword smith outside of Japan to make you a sword, then you must understand that you will not be getting an authentic, traditional, handmade Japanese sword. Only a licensed Japanese sword smith can fulfill your request. Anything less will be a reproduction, copy or Japanese style sword. There are a few guys who made some decent swords, but they are not authentic Japanese swords. They are authentic Japanese STYLE swords.

Modern custom swords can be quite expensive. Why don't you buy a genuine Japanese sword or Nihonto to display. Then you will display an authentic, traditional, handmade Japanese sword.

Want more information?

Geniune Japanese katanas produced with Tamahagane steel are wuite expensive and uncommon. Due to the restrictions on sword production placed on Japan after ww2 there are relatively few smiths continuing to produce Nihonto (japanese swords) in traditional manner.

That said the nicest modern production katana I find that don't break the bank are from Paul Chen Hanwei. They are made in china but extremely authentic. They are made from modern monosteel but differentially hardened as tradition.

Can someone point me were I can find some modern authentic traditional handmade Japanese katana swords for sale.

An often-recommended dealer is Aoi-Art: https://www.aoijapan.com/ (they sell antiques as well as modern swords). If you're happy to just buy one that's currently available, there are many there. Other dealers will also have available swords. You might find better (or worse) prices for swords up for private sale (rather than through a dealer). To search specifically for modern-made swords, search for "shinsakuto" (= "newly-made sword").

If you're after one made specifically for you, it's easiest to work through an agent/broker who can find a smith for you. I don't have any contact details or recommendations for such. This is, of course, slower than buying an in-stock sword from a dealer, and can be more expensive.

Is there a particular reason why you want a modern sword rather than an antique? Antiques can be cheaper, and if it's for display, there are no issues with using and potentially breaking an antique.

Your request is somewhat of a conundrum. If you are looking for a knife/sword smith outside of Japan to make you a sword, then you must understand that you will not be getting an authentic, traditional, handmade Japanese sword. Only a licensed Japanese sword smith can fulfill your request. Anything less will be a reproduction, copy or Japanese style sword. There are a few guys who made some decent swords, but they are not authentic Japanese swords. They are authentic Japanese STYLE swords.

Modern custom swords can be quite expensive. Why don't you buy a genuine Japanese sword or Nihonto to display. Then you will display an authentic, traditional, handmade Japanese sword.

Want more information?

Sorry if I was not clear. I want a Japanese made knife but not an antique, - a contemporary sword. I am assuming there are some certified sward makers in Japan who still carry on the tradition of making katanas. I just wanted to familiarize myself with the ones who have a good name and reputation. Also, is there any websites that sell such authentic katanas here in US. So far was only able to find some cites that carry Chinese made replicas. The only modern Japanese maker that I found is Thaitsuki

PS
Also I do not need one made specifically by order for me, - as long as it is traditional Japanese katana

Last edited:
Thaitsuki isn't a Japanese maker. They're in Thailand. Their swords are no more Japanese than, e.g., katana by Hanwei.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Can you name a few of Japanese makers?
And thanks for the link (although it looks like most of the stock is antique blades (which are expensive BTW) but I will keep my eye on that site).

For genuine, yet modern made Japanese swords, you still need to be more specific in your request.

Japanese swords are further categorized as Gendaito and Shinsakuto (not including non traditionally made WWII swords known as Gunto or Showato).

GENDAI: nowadays, modern times, present-day.
SHINSAKU: new work, new production. It can also mean prosperity.

Broken down even further:
GEN: original (prefix)
DAI: title, subject, theme, topic
TO: sword

SHIN: new, genuineness.
SAKU: work or made (we know this to translate into "made this").
TO: sword

The term Gendaito was used from the end of Shinshinto (1867) until post war production re-emerged in the early 1950's.

A couple of years ago I saw in Nagayama's book where the charts show "Gendaito" from 1867 thru Heisei 1989-.
The books definition states, SHINSAKUTO: Contemporary swords made by smith's who are still living.

Shinsakuto are technically Gendaito, but not vise versa. Shinsakuto are apparently designated as Gendaito when the smith dies.

For a few examples:

Here is a Gendaito made in 1947: http://yakiba.com/Kat_Akinori.htm

Here a Shinsakuto made in 1981: http://yakiba.com/Tanto_Nobushige.htm

Here a Katana made in 1944:http://yakiba.com/Kat_Sukemori.htm

Here katana dated 1941: http://yakiba.com/Kat_Kanenobu.htm

Thanks for the info guys. I have so much to learn it looks like.

Last edited:
One peculiarity I have noticed so far that many of the blades are sold naked (without scabbard and handles). If I want the scabbard and handle I would have to get it separately?

That is the Koshirae, and yes, if they are in the shirasaya or resting scabbard("naked"), then you would have to get one made. Piecing one together is a near impossible task as they are made individually for a perfect fit.

That is why I mentioned buying an antique which comes in Koshirae. You can get more bang for your buck.
Here is a pair of swords known as a Daisho in koshirae:http://yakiba.com/Daisho_Munetsugu-Kanesada.htm
Here is a pair of swords in koshirae for under $4000: http://yakiba.com/Daisho2_Sukesada-Masakiyo.htm

Geniune Japanese katanas produced with Tamahagane steel are wuite expensive and uncommon. Due to the restrictions on sword production placed on Japan after ww2 there are relatively few smiths continuing to produce Nihonto (japanese swords) in traditional manner.

Expensive, yes. Uncommon, no. There are many Japanese sword smiths working today and they are happy to forge a sword just for you.

I would recommend my friend Paul Martin. He lives in Tokyo and he knows all the ins and outs when it comes to commissioning a sword.. He can have anything you want done, done. Here is a link to a few of the sword smiths he currently works with, he can be contacted through his web site: http://www.thejapanesesword.com/services/commissioning.html

I am reluctant to provide Pauls' information as it seems apparent that you want a cheap sword. Nothing he will provide you with will be cheap.
So, if you are only looking to spend say $2000, please don't waste his time. A Katana, will cost you much more than that, at least three times that minimum and that is not in koshirae, but shirasaya only.

As far as the place you asked about, I can't answer. It appears they are in Japan, but they only sell Shinken and Iaito. These smiths are not licensed smiths which is why they only make practice blades, much like knife makers, they are a different group not under the ministry of culture.

The photos don't look bad, but photos can be deceiving. I have always found the old adage, "You get what you pay for" to be a wise saying.

Expensive, yes. Uncommon, no. There are many Japanese sword smiths working today and they are happy to forge a sword just for you.

I would recommend my friend Paul Martin. He lives in Tokyo and he knows all the ins and outs when it comes to commissioning a sword.. He can have anything you want done, done. Here is a link to a few of the sword smiths he currently works with, he can be contacted through his web site: http://www.thejapanesesword.com/services/commissioning.html

I am reluctant to provide Pauls' information as it seems apparent that you want a cheap sword. Nothing he will provide you with will be cheap.
So, if you are only looking to spend say $2000, please don't waste his time. A Katana, will cost you much more than that, at least three times that minimum and that is not in koshirae, but shirasaya only.

As far as the place you asked about, I can't answer. It appears they are in Japan, but they only sell Shinken and Iaito. These smiths are not licensed smiths which is why they only make practice blades, much like knife makers, they are a different group not under the ministry of culture.

The photos don't look bad, but photos can be deceiving. I have always found the old adage, "You get what you pay for" to be a wise saying.

The treaty post WWII is the reason I said genuine traditional katana post wwii have become less common. Part of that treaty was that sword smiths could only produce so many swords. I also believe the number of smiths has been lowering due to attrition.

Last edited:
They are limited by their government as too how many they can produce, 2 Katana, 3 wakizashi, and as many kogatana as they please. This restriction is to maintain quality and be sure there are not just turning out numbers like the guys mentioned above making shinken.

Certainly, sword smith numbers are reduced from older times, but there are still plenty of active smiths. I would venture a guess that there are nearly 200 active sword smiths working in Japan today. That is licensed smith's, not apprentices. By today's standards that is far from uncommon and not "relatively few".

Roman,
I looked at that site some more. It looks like they make Iaito, blades for Iaido for around $500-$600. The Shinken are higher, with the shortest Katana length being around $4K. They have some offerings that go up to $10-15K.

Shinken are, as the name implies, real swords, and are covered by the usual Japanese sword laws. Licensed smiths, registration of swords, etc. Note that the shinken sold there start at US$3500 for katana lengths (basic polish and bare blade only?).

Alloy iaito are of course not real swords, and escape the legislation (and the iaito there start at under US$500).

Back