Katana

Hi all just wanted to share pictures of my first finished Katana sword it is fully mounted with all the work done by me. the steel fittings with gold and silver bamboo motif overlay were imported from Japan through Japan sword limited. the menuki are gold plated silver. the handle is fully wrapped with stingray and then black and gold silk cord. The saya is alder wood that has been lacquered with caped buffalo horn accoutrements and a black silk sageo with an iron tip that matches the handle fittings.

87444_1_b.jpg
87444_3_b.jpg

87444_4_b.jpg
87444_5_b.jpg

87444_6_b.jpg
87444_8_b.jpg

Blade length: 25.25 in.
Total length: 36.25 in.
Blade width: 1.35 in.
Blade thickness: 0.25 in.
Item weight: 35.00 oz.

Last edited:
Great work, Bill, it usually takes a few craftsmen to get one of these swords put together. :thumbup: I'd prefer a more traditional wrap and a bit of "belly" to the blade but for a first time this is fantastic. What's the blade steel and forging/hardening method? You need some full length hamon shots on these pieces. :)

wow, you did F@@@@ great for a first time katana- for a katana in general and I LOVE katanas... my fam owns quite a few: )

That is a beautiful sword you have there, that is simply put "fantastic" that really is a awesome sword you have made there.

Impressive work Bill regardless whether it's #1 or #100.
Always a pleasure seeing and even more examining your knives.

Thanks alot everyone

Great work, Bill, it usually takes a few craftsmen to get one of these swords put together. :thumbup: I'd prefer a more traditional wrap and a bit of "belly" to the blade but for a first time this is fantastic. What's the blade steel and forging/hardening method? You need some full length hamon shots on these pieces. :)

thank you for your comments but I am not sure what you mean Jose. there is two centimeters of sori to the blade and it has the traditional criss crossed "battle wrap" and a full same wrap around the tsuka instead of the panels that has become the rage in the last 80 or so years. the Blade was forged from rail road rail which was a traditionally used material between WWI and WWII when most of the steel in Japan was going toward machinery for war. the shape is from the Mino school tradition. I clay hardend it in water and polished with waterstones. The hamon is suguha which is one of the oldest styles of Hamons. If it is not to your liking that is ok but I think it is pretty much "traditional" all the way.
I gathererd my information for this piece from several books on Japanese sword books including Nippon-to the japanese sword by Inami Hakusui, the new generation of Japanese swordsmiths, by tsuchiko, Japanese swords and swordsmiths, by Leon Kapp and the Samurai Sword by Yamoto. Please don't be offended or think I am jumping on you because I am not just trying to explain.

Not at all, Bill. The wrap turned out nicely, I just meant the yellow color in the thread. Suede wrap is my favorite, though just a preference.The fittings and habaki are well done too. Some pics showing the tsuba and close ups of the full length of blade would be nice though. Maybe it's just my monitor but I can only see the hamon clearly in the close up pic, not the full length shots. I'm sure this is a traditional shape, my preference though if for the slant to be closer around a third of the way down from the tip. Like I said, fantastic job doing all the work yourself. :thumbup:

absolutely outstanding, as is everything you do Bill(you don't know how much that hurt to say) I hope to one day get to your level of finish.

It's spectacular! However, I use your pronghorn on almost every successful hunting trip so I'll probably stick with the more "user" oriented hardware.

I've camped with a couple custom knife makers over the years and they always spend the most time looking at your pronghorn and a 52100 hunter by Joe Olson.

Congrats on your first katana!

DancesWithKnives

Congratulations Bill. Very impressive work.

If you feel like it, i hope you will post a few traditional "pronghorn" photos on the other thread too. :) We need lots more..
David

Back