Kbac 27d wiring - liquidtight connector question

Hello all,

About to wire up my 27d to my motor, and I went out and bought some 1/2” and 3/4” liquidtight fittings because that is what is spec’d out in the manual.

After giving them a once over it is apparent that the ID of the 1/2” fitting is too tight for my 12/4 wire, and the ID of the 3/4” fitting is wayyy too big for my 12/3 wire. I did a little research and now realize that these are meant for conduit, which I hadn’t planned on using.

How do you guys wire up your drives and still ensure they are waterproof and dustproof?
Should I just get some regular strain relief connectors and be done with it?
Am I missing something about how to use these liquidtight fittings?
Should I just shave off some of the 12/4 jacket, and wrap electrical tape around the 12/3 jacket until both wires fit their connectors properly?

As you all may have gathered I have pretty minimal experience with this stuff and any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are using standard rubber coated cables, just us a standard clamp style fitting. If you are really worried about the seal, use some RTV or silicone sealant on the fitting after it is installed and everything is working.

You can also apply tape to make the cable larger diameter and use your current fittings. As before, if it worries you, use some sealant.

"After giving them a once over it is apparent that the ID of the 1/2” fitting is too tight for my 12/4 wire, and the ID of the 3/4” fitting is wayyy too big for my 12/3 wire."
What happens if you swap the two ?

I used SO cord and Cable glands.

They have different sized ID's and grommets. A perfect fit is possible.
Cut a little 3 inch stub of the wire and take it with you to the store.

I may have also split some SO jacket tape and heat shrink to fit a loose hole

Back