KE Bushie - The Appalachian Forest Tool

Just wanted to leave this here. :)
DSC03037-vi.jpg

I'm glad you guys are liking the KE Bushie. Occasionally I see a student bring one to my classes and trips. It is still one of my favorite knives and I can't decide if I like my Scandi or convex version better. I'd recommend you guys try out both and tell me which you prefer. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Fiddleback Forge Users' Weekend in a couple months.

Is the handle length a little bit longer than the Hiking Buddy? Thanks for the specs. I was wondering does the little extra handle and blade length of the KE make it more comfortable to use and controllable than the HB? just wanted some of your opinions and side by side pics of the two together. Looked in the comparison pics but not see these two together. Nice review.

It is a bit bigger. It has a 4.5" long handle, which is what I consider a full size bushcrafting knife handle. That group of handles in my lineup include the Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, Bushhermitt, Arete, etc. The blade on the KE bushie is 3.8" long, whereas the rest of the full size bushcraft knives in my line have 4" blades. This was what was most important to Kevin when he sent me his 'drawing' which was marks a lot on corrugated cardboard because he wanted to be able to legally carry it where he lived and the cutoff was 4". The Hiking Buddy size class is what I call the small bushcraft knife category. I make a bunch of knives with these exact blade and handle lengths as well.

The handles on everything below 4.5" is a compromise all the way down to the Bow Legged Joe, which is a two finger knife. There is method to my madness making so many knives in the same size range. For example some people find the handles with the birds beak type terminal shape like the KE Bushie to be confining, and like more open pommel ends like the Bushhermitt. This goes a long way to ensure that there is a knife for everyone in each of the size categories.

It is a bit bigger. It has a 4.5" long handle, which is what I consider a full size bushcrafting knife handle. That group of handles in my lineup include the Bushcrafter, Bushfinger, Bushhermitt, Arete, etc. The blade on the KE bushie is 3.8" long, whereas the rest of the full size bushcraft knives in my line have 4" blades. This was what was most important to Kevin when he sent me his 'drawing' which was marks a lot on corrugated cardboard because he wanted to be able to legally carry it where he lived and the cutoff was 4". The Hiking Buddy size class is what I call the small bushcraft knife category. I make a bunch of knives with these exact blade and handle lengths as well.

The handles on everything below 4.5" is a compromise all the way down to the Bow Legged Joe, which is a two finger knife. There is method to my madness making so many knives in the same size range. For example some people find the handles with the birds beak type terminal shape like the KE Bushie to be confining, and like more open pommel ends like the Bushhermitt. This goes a long way to ensure that there is a knife for everyone in each of the size categories.

Thanks for the information, that makes a lot of sense when you figure there are different handle to blade shapes, lengths and configurations.

Fiddlebacks can control the weather!

I think it has snowed every day since I bought this knife!

Last edited:
Caution: If your Fiddleback Knife can control the weather it has started to transition into a lightsaber. If you send this knife back to me I will take over the world.

Andy,
When you take over the world, you're going to plow right??

This is the town road in front of my house. Taken around noon.
IMG_8269-XL.jpg

This is looking up my driveway,
IMG_8271-XL.jpg

Caution: If your Fiddleback Knife can control the weather it has started to transition into a lightsaber. If you send this knife back to me I will take over the world.

Totally with you Andy. I would start cutting down trees, cars in half, carving words into walls and fire doors, along with jumping between buildings using the fiddlesaber to slow my descent by cutting the building nextdoor to it in half. Need to boil water, insert FS, fastest tree/shrub trimming business with no clean up, what traffic problem? Stop by the nearest construction site and slice water mains ever thinner for the best hula hooping experience ever.

I'm glad you guys are liking the KE Bushie. Occasionally I see a student bring one to my classes and trips. It is still one of my favorite knives and I can't decide if I like my Scandi or convex version better. I'd recommend you guys try out both and tell me which you prefer. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Fiddleback Forge Users' Weekend in a couple months.
Wait....what

When is it?

Back