Keen Kutter Axes - Info and Post Em Up - UPDATED

Here is my Keen Kutter connecticut (on a 32" racing handle).

a6a6ef48663511e2adfe22000a1fbd6c_7.jpg

Bump. Been getting a lot of manufacturing questions lately, which is awesome, so will be updating these accordingly. Plus if you yahoos have pics add em in please.

Thanks!

Here is one that belonged to my great-grandpa. It has been in my attic for years. Having recently viewed all of the pics in the "it followed me home" thread, I had to climb up in the attic this AM to take a look. I posted a thread hoping to get some suggestions of how to dress it up, but without losing the look like grandpa just leaned it up in the corner of the garage...

20140124_073547.jpg

20140124_073422.jpg

I am a complete newbie to axe identification. I have split more rick of wood than I care to count in my 47 years, but I have no idea what I have with this axe, other than the fact that it is a single bit axe. I'd love some insight... but be gentle... : )

Hello all,
I recently scored this piece while prospecting and relic hunting an extremely remote area of the Medicine Bow Mtns. in southern Wyoming. I believe it to be a good score considering a local collector I spoke with wanted it badly. I thought it was unusual that it was stamped with the E.C. Simmons name, but did not have the Keen Kutter Branding... After some research, I think it pre-dates the Keen Kutter branding, a very early piece for the E.C. Simmons company, perhaps in the late 1860's, before the foundation of the greater Simmons Hardware Company... I was hoping someone might be able to help identify and/or date it....Thanks! Mike~
10354946_10201149904149363_6281851046605095436_n.jpg

10414420_10201149905189389_7714191375535946151_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....7_10201149913309592_1967703970983828908_n.jpg
10455583_10201149907349443_4143862746824186277_n.jpg

10303747_10201149913309592_1967703970983828908_n.jpg

Just a word of caution. Keen Kutter replica broad axes are being made out of cast iron and are being sold on the 'bay. Don't be fooled!

I saw one of those! It is currently listed now on 'bay. I have also seen others on different sites that I thought were in too good of shape to be old.
I hope that made sense. Careful fellow campers.

That is a nice one, and real too. I don't own one yet but if I could own ONLY one KK it'd be just like that.

My keen kutter is coming in two day with a water cooled grinding wheel. I'm getting the broad head KK. Does it seem to hold a good edge?

Water cooled wheel would be nice, good luck with your new KK. Love to see a pic once you get it, and of your new wheel.

I just saw a KK alloy steel single bit. I was looking at the pics later and trying to find a way to date head. It does not have the famous Keen Kutter Stamp like most. It has one like Operator's Connecticut Boy's Axe, also Post #11 and #19. All that I can find so far on the stamp is that if it is not the diamond and bar (common) then it is a forgery. That can't be accurate as I'm sure that many of you would be quite upset and would post your anger. So do those stamps that I reference above without the common logo predate the prettier stamp that has the bigger logo with the bar? I know they're not at all common, not my intention to offend. I just see more KKs with the big nice logo vs the Keen Kutter only as in the above mentioned pics.

My other question on this thread is on another recent find all it says is "Diamond edge" as well as "crucible steel" and "4" stamped. I was told it was a shapleigh that predated KK. Is that accurate? I'm not trying to sell these, I just want to pick out the oldest and best to pass on to my Grand Kids when they are ready. Quite young now and would likely sneak them off to show and tell. Could you imagine the headlines? Will wait a bit to hand them down.

Last edited:
Hi. Do you or anyone here have any idea what years shapleighs used the "shapleighs hammer forged" stamp on jersey axe heads

Real or fake? I bought on a whim for $35. If real, any idea on the approximate date of manufacture. This will be my first hewing axe as I'm ramping up to building a log cabin with hand hewn logs. The collector status isn't of high interest, more usability. I have a lot of woodworking experience, but never done hand log work; a friend who does high end handmade log homes is willing to train me.

Thanks for the fantastic initial post in this thread. This is why the internet is rich.

Keen%20Kutter-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I love it when these old threads get dug up! I'll share mine! And I'm certainly not challenging op's assertion that only(mostly) Kelly made axes for KK. That being said I have one that has what looks like a plumb crescent moon mark. And i found one online that has a square. Anecdotal evidence to be sure and they could be fakes! I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Quality of mine is very good.
tatvFiM.jpg

8JbWCYL.jpg

I'm super proud of this one. Original haft, original grellner patent wedge and some gold paint left in the stamp! 2-1/4# Dayton boys axe.
AiIbMSf.jpg

Here's the level. Also has KKO stamped in the wood just above the brass.
CLcwUrN.jpg
Here's mine with the crescent moon. Original weight was 4-1/2#
TtZIlPc.jpg

And here's the one off the bay that i screen shot.
Jrg9RvB.png
RzJixGa.png

I love the keen kutter brand too. What a great legacy they left!

Back