Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
Was thinking today that this forum could use a central repository of images of the knives of Ken Erickson.

Not only has Ken proven to be a major player in the world of custom slipjoints (in a very short time, I might add) but he is also a major contributor to and reason why this forum is as interesting and informative as it is. In addition (and more importantly) he is a man I am very proud to call a close friend.

Please feel free to share your images of Ken's knives in this thread.

I'll start off with images of the second slipjoint that Ken ever made and then add a few additional images of other knives by Ken that I am indeed fortunate to own.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this little start to our trip down memory lane with Ken's knives and look forward to your contributions...

Last edited:
That cigar stockman is the absolute BOMB! Great thread and great pics, Elliott. Thank you.

That cigar stockman is the absolute BOMB! Great thread and great pics, Elliott. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. :cool: The equal-end knife you are referring to is a "cattle knife" (generally considered by BRL and other knife historians as the precursor to the somewhat more modern premium (serpentine) stockman).

What a great thread. Ken has become one of my favorites as far as people and knives. Once I get back on my feet, I plan on adding pics of his first two blader and some others that have found their way into my hands.

I only have one of Ken's knives, although I'm on his list, so hopefully I'll be getting another sometime soon-ish.

Trapper-comp_edited-1-1.jpg

It doesn't matter how many times I look at your cattle knife, Elliot, I still think it's one of the most beautifully proportioned pocket knives I've ever seen.

James

My first Erickson, like most of Ken's knives, was inspired by an oldie. And Ken is one of the few knifemakers who have responded to the challenge of making a punch.
This knife has all the classical goodness that keeps me riveted to knife collecting. Here they are, Grandson, and Grandpa!
HJHeaven.jpg

If ever a thread was destined for greatness, this is it!

Thanks Elliot, and thanks to all who have and will share.

It doesn't matter how many times I look at your cattle knife, Elliot, I still think it's one of the most beautifully proportioned pocket knives I've ever seen.

James

Thank you, James. It has a very reasonable claim to pride of place in my collection and was a collaboration that proved very enjoyable.

When it comes to Ken's work, imho there's no such thing as second place. :cool:

The world isn't all black and white, but Ebony and Ivory are my favorite handle materials!
Ken's first swayback, and his first HJ above, show how passionately he has dedicated himself to making great knives in the traditional style. The knives reveal his complete concentration on the subject. If I made a thousand knives, I'd still be trying to match the quality of Ken's work. I am continuously amazed by this upstart!!!!!:D
KensFirstIvorySway.jpg

Great thread! Ken's knives are truly stellar. Its always a treat to see his posted pics here. I hope to someday own one of his dandies.

Truly a wonderful idea for a thread, Elliott! The Erickson Archives!:thumbup:

Also inspired by a specific old knife, this 'Rat has Erickson Jigged and Dyed bone handles. The last pic is the Remington (RIP) that lent its DNA!;)

EricksonRat1.jpg

EricksonRat2.jpg

EricksonRat3.jpg

DNA Rem;
RemMuskF.jpg

Truly a wonderful idea for a thread, Elliott! The Erickson Archives!:thumbup:

It's my pleasure, fellas, and a fitting tribute to a mutual friend. :cool::thumbup:

Ken does beautiful work. I've got 6 makers on my list for this year, and Ken is at the top. Thanks for starting this thread Elliott! :thumbup:

I always look forward to seeing Kens pics of knives he has just completed..

Anyone who has one, or more :D, has every reason to be proud.

I'm so far down on the list, I don't think I'll ever get there :( No doubt in my mind that every day of waiting will be well worth it

One of the few makers that makes nice round knives. Not flat like so many out there. Made the way they are supposed to be made.:thumbup:
Greg

I would be more that happy to contribute a little something to this Ken Erickson thread.
I think what prompted me to first order one from Ken was his jigged bone. I sent him a picture of a blade shape I liked and ask if he would do me one like it. He sent me pictures of various stages of the work in progress. That beauty on top is the final product.
The little barlow was done with some old Schrade sawcut bone if I recall correctly.

IMG_0169_2.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Back