Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Thanks for the video, Ken. Very nice knives - I wish I could go...
I wish you a good show!

Ken it looks like you picked a winner with your video setup. I look forward to seeing you and that killer Champaign knife at Badger.

I want to add a picture of the Erickson I was fortunate to pick up recently. It's a bit older (2008), but a fantastic, and probably unused little 3.5" EDC in jigged chocolate micarta.

IMG_5193_zpsb230d176.jpg

The knife is very sharp, and I can't believe the thin grind on it. The swedge is also a thing of beauty. From looking at it, I think the bolsters are integral--does that seem right?

In any case, this is a nice EDC, and carries pretty flat in the pocket. I've been extra careful with it so far, but I should probably just use and enjoy it...

Cheers,
Daniel

Is this your knife? No mention of integral bolsters. Might want to contact Ken to make sure.

- Christian

Great find--thanks! That's definitely the knife, but with better pictures :)

I still need to figure out what sort of lanyard it needs. I love a knife with a good lanyard--any ideas?

Cheers,
Daniel

I
From looking at it, I think the bolsters are integral--does that seem right?

but I should probably just use and enjoy it...

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for the kind words on the knife!
That knife does have integral bolsters/frames. 410ss. I only made a very few soldered bolsters knives. 3 or 4.

Please use and enjoy! I always will fluff and buff one of my knives, no charge except return postage.

Been a fan of Ken's for a long time. I remember that knife, he made it before he started focusing on recreating older patterns.

- Christian

A short video, knives headed to Janesville Wi, Badger Show.

Thanks, Ken! That was great. Your knives come to life in a new way in your hands.

A couple comments:

-- Dollars to doughnuts your knives with half-stops are beautifully flush in the half-stop position. I was hoping to get a good glimpse, but as you turned each knife this way and the light and focus never quite captured the backsprings with a blade at half-stop. Perhaps an amateur pleasure on my part, but I'd love to see the full effect. :) Maybe next time? ;)

-- That Stabber Jack is a revelation every time, even more so as you open it in this video. I could tell by the way you approached it that its pull was going to be a strong one! Massively good job, there.

-- With the Bartender's knife, do the serrations protrude as much as they sometimes appear to in this video, or is that an effect of the angles of light/shadow (and maybe a little fuzzy-wuzz)? Screen capture:
EricksonSerration_zpsce25b260.png

I hope the show and you are good to each other. :)

~ P.

Thanks for posting the video Ken. Now I have a better understand of how you did the "kick" on the stabber, and the tortoise scales just shimmer.

Some beautiful work heading to the Badger show. Excellent looking lineup of fine work Ken.
Cases look great too.

Have missed reading this thread for a few weeks. Now I know why a certain box is so lite. :)

Congratulations Ken!

It looks like the judges at the Badger show were equally impressed.

Great testament to your dedication to knife making as well as your dedication to delivering quality to your clients.

picture004.jpg

If I can't say I'm surprised I can at least say I'm pleased and proud. Attaboy, Ken!!! :cool::thumbup:

You earned that prize in every way, Ken. Such nice work!
Congratulations!!!!:thumbup:

Read the comments to Ken and he asked me to thank each of you for your congratulations and support. I am sure he will chime in once he gets back home in a couple of days to a decent internet connection.
He is taking a break with a close friend for a couple of days.

Back