Ken Erickson large sportsman's knife Sheffield inspired

The great cutlery firms in Sheffield made a vast array of patterns and styles of pocket knives. Among those is a class generally referred to as sportsman's knives. These knives came in many sized and pattern shapes and implements. Implements varied from fish scalers, shotgun shell extractors , saws, and on and on. This is my interpretation of a 5 1/4 closed sportsman's featuring 9 implements, 7 hinged with two slide-outs.

Master spear blade
Large slender pen
Coping blade
Large scissors
Cigar fork
Auger style corkscrew
Three cornered leather awl
Pricker
Tweezers

This knife is referred to as a "3 thick" as it features 3 main springs. CPM154 blades an springs. Fine line checkered ebony covers. Threaded and rat-tailed bolsters. Coined center liners.

As , always, comments, critique welcome.

Let me be the first to say, that is incredible. I can't imagine the amount of time it took to put all of that together.

Did you also make the scissors?

Ken,

That is an absolute masterpiece. Incredible attention to details and flawless execution.

I´m not sure I can think of a another knife that is more difficult to make.

Outstanding.

Brian

Spectacular folder, Ken. The checkered scales and threaded bolsters just bring it to the top. Well done. :thumbup:

- Joe

I love when I see a post by you in this forum, Ken. This one checks all the boxes for me. Not one thing I would change about it. Anything old Sheffield or inspired by those pieces of amazing cutlery gets my attention, fast. Thank you for sharing it here.:thumbup::thumbup:

Chris

That looks like a crazy amount of work. The scissors are my favorite component. Having made a few simple slippies I can somewhat appreciate the amount of effort required to make that all work together:thumbup:

Darcy:)

Thank You for this incredible set of pictures!! And most of all, thank You for being so dedicate to your art, your work is always PERFECT!!!

Stefano

That is just incredible work. It seems like an extraordinary undertaking.
I wouldn't know where to begin with actual feedback but I am curious; from your own perspective did it turn out as expected? Is there anything you would do differently next time?

Great knife. Brings out the boy in every man and the man in every boy

Golf tool, olive fork or cigar holder? :)

Why did you choose that type of corkscrew and how did you make it?

This knife is so impressive! So much going on in a small space. Great craftsmanship.

That is just incredible work. It seems like an extraordinary undertaking.
I wouldn't know where to begin with actual feedback but I am curious; from your own perspective did it turn out as expected? Is there anything you would do differently next time?

Chris, this knife build was originally conceived about a year ago with input from a very knowledgeable collector an fan of the old Sheffield knives. The implement choice was decided on about 4 months ago. In retrospect there is very little I would change except fine tune a few things such as the scissors nail nick. That is the neat thing about this class of knife is that there is almost an unlimited mix of implements that would or could be used.

Great knife. Brings out the boy in every man and the man in every boy

Golf tool, olive fork or cigar holder? :)

Why did you choose that type of corkscrew and how did you make it?

Cigar fork/holder. I have always thought that the auger type of corkscrew was a better looking screw than the twisted wire or wire type. I start with a solid piece of 1/4 inch thick CPM154 and "carve" the screw out. I do chuck it up in my Unimat lathe and turn the "barrel" first. Some day I will do a work on progress on my screws. I have had other makers inquire also.

Thanks again for all the kind comments! :)

Oh My Gosh! Everything all of the above said! Those old Cutlers from Sheffield are smiling down upon you today!!

That's impressive on so many levels--marvelous work. And the images, especially the closeups, are so well done--crisp and inviting. :thumbup:

Back