Kephart showcase thread

an old photo of my kephy when it was new

14509511759_26b322c778_h.jpg
That is sweet!

Do y'all know the story of how the Kephart design came about? My version, I mean. LOL.

Well, I met this knifemaker named Paul Brach and he had invited me to come to see his shop and test out his Burr King grinder. He had come by my shop and was unimpressed with my KMG's. This was 5 or 6 years ago. When I got there, he handed me a piece of steel, and told me to feel free to turn it into a knife.

I don't know why I decided to do a Kephart then. I had tried to draw one a few times, but I was trying to replicate that ugly knife Horace had designed, and it always came out as ugly as his. So I sat down and drew this knife up on the fly. I didn't look at pics what so ever, and focused on a spearpoint knife with a sharp point for work. I didn't spend 5 minutes on the drawing. I cut it out, and profiled it on Paul's machine. That profile became the pattern we use today, and its one of my best knives IMO.

Paul is a great friend and a fantastic knifemaker. You'll remember him from Forged in Fire. How cool is it to work in a SMALL city (Cumming GA) that has so many knifemakers in it. Adam Andreasen, Paul Brach, Dirk Loots, Will Dutton, Dylan Fletcher, Chris Linton, Allen Surls, Russell Reese, Kyle Helling, John Barker and myself all work in Cumming. There are 7 knifemakers shops in cumming on that list. Thats pretty cool.

Back