Photos Kepharts...They just Work

So this isn't 100% Kephart, but definitely inspired by one - although I am on Mike McCarter Mike McCarter 's books for the real thing...

I love me the spearpoint blade shape. I can't full explain why, but it just works so damn well, and looks great - I think it's the looks that make me prefer it over a clip point.

A while ago, I commissioned a custom camp chopper in the Kephart style from @Robert Erickson - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwNVcIMhAja/

I needed a second knife for more slicing oriented tasks - shorter, thinner stock, thinner behind the edge, etc. Took some lessons learned from the previous build, gave Robert a full page of requested specs (thanks for putting up with me!) and he came up with this:
View attachment 1131638https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqlEpRnkbN/

1/8" CPM-M4 @ 65HRC, 5" long, shallow convex grind, very thin behind the edge. Natural canvas and denim micarta scales.

Just got the pics today and I'm in awe. I think as far as performance knives go, I'm set for quite a while. We'll need to see what Carothers comes up with in their forthcoming Kephart, to see if it'll be able to compete...

Just some crazy, over-the-top features:
  • I like removable handles for maintenance purposes, especially with steels like M4, but flush pins are, of course, more comfortable in the hand. Robert used Corby bolts, with the female portion on the left side of the blade, epoxied into the handle and ground flat. The male side was cut down to size, given a screwdriver slot, and screwed in without any epoxy. The handles can still come off, but the side where my fingers will rest is perfectly smooth
  • The knife has integral bolsters/liners. That is, Robert took 1/2" blocks of natural micarta, milled out a huge chunk to fit in the denim while leaving an 1/8" "liner" behind, and then epoxied the denim in. Why? Cause it's damn cool, that's why! I suppose it might make the scales more sturdy when removed, but I doubt epoxying separate bolsters and sales to a regular liner would have been an issue. Still, though, it looks freaking awesome - check out the IG link above for a spine shot
Can't wait :)

Very nice! I personally love the thumb ramp. It reminds me of my Gunny. Those are saweet blades. Have you had a chance to put the 1st one thru the paces? We love pics when one is being shown some knife love.
I can't believe your gonna get one of Sarges knives. You cannot go wrong. I've yet to use mine and I don't know yet if I will. I'll hate/love to put the first scratch on her. Kinda like a new car. I'll have to get back with you on that.
Love those pics!

Have you had a chance to put the 1st one thru the paces? We love pics when one is being shown some knife love.
I have, but no pics unfortunately. Mostly just testing it out in preparation for the second order - chopping or slicing through cardboard, etc. Great knife, but you can always tweak things!

Well, I received my BK62 and I must say I'm impressed with this knife. For it to be a production knife and only cost as much as it did, it's quite the knife. I have not used her or anything as I just got her.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the grips. They're a tad on the small side for my big paws. I have some black kydex I thought about using for liners but on this one I think orange kydex would be more appropriate.
The thinner grips add to it's nimbleness with the 5" blade kind of like a kitchen knife that get used a lot. The knife is quite comfortable in my medium sized hands.

I recommend trying it first. The handles are narrow but the height allows most of the big paw'ed people to get along well when using it. Unless you have the XXL variety, then certainly add some thickness there.

Ethan points out that the function behind the thin but tall handle is that it really helps index the edge so there's no uncertainty where it is when using it. I have to think this is great in slippery and/or cold weather.
Kabar and Ethan hit a home run with the BK-62 Kephart. It's a keeper. I agree with you on the "trying it first". Use it a bit and see what you think.

Well heck, I used the BK62 today doing various chores. This morning I peeled and cut up some potatoes for breakfast.
Then I cut up some celery, an apple and some carrots.
This evening, steak on the grill and the knife functioned great But I couldn't stop thinking how much better it'd be with thicker slabs.
Don't be surprised if you click on this thread and see a pic of mine with some liners. Just saying. :)

Well heck, I used the BK62 today doing various chores. This morning I peeled and cut up some potatoes for breakfast.
Then I cut up some celery, an apple and some carrots.
This evening, steak on the grill and the knife functioned great But I couldn't stop thinking how much better it'd be with thicker slabs.
Don't be surprised if you click on this thread and see a pic of mine with some liners. Just saying. :)

Well, at least you heeded our advice :). Good on you for getting use on it. I bet it was a laser on those potatoes. I'm sure it would cut better with some orange liners, it is the sharpest color after all :p.

Anyone liking the Becker Kabar going to BLADE may want to stop by Dogwood Knives. He's been showing some custom versions in progress he based off Ethan Becker's original Kephart.
Would love it if you could take some pics of Dogwood's version.
I like my BK62 but find the handles a tad on the thin side for my big hands. I bought some similar screws/nuts that will work. Now I need to find some orange liner material.

I can see that observation with the BK-62 if you have big paws. For me, the factory walnuts work very well. Having thicker handles would not improve the functionality as I consider it a bit of a general use finesse blade.

Blade starts this Friday. Guess I need to make a decision about going....

Added: The Dozier tables are generally the first ones I visit at Blade. Assuming I go, I'm hoping that Bob has a couple of his "kephart" there. This is part of the problem for me at Blade; I'll blow $300+ within minutes of walking through the doors if I go.

Last edited:
I can see that observation with the BK-62 if you have big paws. For me, the factory walnuts work very well. Having thicker handles would not improve the functionality as I consider it a bit of a general use finesse blade.

Blade starts this Friday. Guess I need to make a decision about going....

Added: The Dozier tables are generally the first ones I visit at Blade. Assuming I go, I'm hoping that Bob has a couple of his "kephart" there. This is part of the problem for me at Blade; I'll blow $300+ within minutes of walking through the doors if I go.
Well, I look at it this way, I'll put the liner (s) on without gluing them and try it out. Then If I don't like them?
I'd love to go to Blade but it just ain't in the cards. Too dang fer. But don't look at it as blowing thru, consider it as, Making an Investment in your Future.

...I'd love to go to Blade but it just ain't in the cards. Too dang fer. But don't look at it as blowing thru, consider it as, Making an Investment in your Future.
What maybe an 8 hr drive for you? Worth it if you have never been to a BLADE show.

How is spending $300+ on one knife that I likely will seldom use an investment in my future? Keep believing that stuff. I just have to chuckle about this.... any knife I buy at this point is purely a want and not a need. (I have almost talked myself out of going....)

Added: I keep coming back to this post since nobody has posted since me. It bothers me. It bothers my perception of just why I buy knives that are really not needed at all. I have come to the conclusion that this is a hobby and hobbies generally have costs associated with them if you participate. I don't do this as any kind of an investment. With guns I did treat my Colts as an investment ultimately. I can't see making any kind of money what so ever with the knife hobby. It is a financial black hole that keeps sucking money into it. That said, there are much worse hobbies. Boats are one.... huge financial black hole. Fishing gear.... another one as we can always justify a new something because we might need it or use it. Knives are a bit different, like guns. They typically last a long time. Most knives are not an investment. I really like the Kephart pattern, but I am open to modifications over the original design. So, if I go to BLADE and I see a Kephart that appeals to me, I might buy it.

Last edited:
I went on a knife buying spree over the last two years. Now all the slots in my knife drawer are full.

I can see commissioning one more as an upgrade to an existing knife but that’s about it.

Anyone liking the Becker Kabar going to BLADE may want to stop by Dogwood Knives. He's been showing some custom versions in progress he based off Ethan Becker's original Kephart.

Would love it if you could take some pics of Dogwood's version.
I like my BK62 but find the handles a tad on the thin side for my big hands. I bought some similar screws/nuts that will work. Now I need to find some orange liner material.

I’ve been eyeing those Dogwoods as well. Grabbed a shot from his IG...

4z1G61Vl.jpg

What maybe an 8 hr drive for you? Worth it if you have never been to a BLADE show.

How is spending $300+ on one knife that I likely will seldom use an investment in my future? Keep believing that stuff. I just have to chuckle about this.... any knife I buy at this point is purely a want and not a need. (I have almost talked myself out of going....)

Added: I keep coming back to this post since nobody has posted since me. It bothers me. It bothers my perception of just why I buy knives that are really not needed at all. I have come to the conclusion that this is a hobby and hobbies generally have costs associated with them if you participate. I don't do this as any kind of an investment. With guns I did treat my Colts as an investment ultimately. I can't see making any kind of money what so ever with the knife hobby. It is a financial black hole that keeps sucking money into it. That said, there are much worse hobbies. Boats are one.... huge financial black hole. Fishing gear.... another one as we can always justify a new something because we might need it or use it. Knives are a bit different, like guns. They typically last a long time. Most knives are not an investment. I really like the Kephart pattern, but I am open to modifications over the original design. So, if I go to BLADE and I see a Kephart that appeals to me, I might buy it.

22, you might be overthinking this knife stuff. Just let your money buy you happiness.

I went on a knife buying spree over the last two years. Now all the slots in my knife drawer are full.

I can see commissioning one more as an upgrade to an existing knife but that’s about it.
Marchone, read Sarge's post below. He has a stack of blades and a plethora of belts. Sounds to me like he's getting ready to grind some out.

Back