Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Here is a link to a sample issue of Knife Magazine that has THE article on the Kephart. It is worth the read if you're interested. https://www.knifemagazine.com/sample-issue/

You don't have to subscribe if you click on the link.
Thanks for the link, i've just read it ( though i now have a headache ) :) its really interesting. And i loved this introduction of his.

Jb6Xg08.jpg

There is an excellent web store over here in the UK called Heinnie Haynes who have, i just found out, the condor Kephart blank blades. I'm going to buy one when i can find enough money down the side of the sofa :)

You will need to thin the edge down a lot with the Condor. It would barely cut a steak at a restaurant as is. It sort of looks like a steak knife. I know stuff is more expensive in the UK and Europe.

You will need to thin the edge down a lot with the Condor. It would barely cut a steak at a restaurant as is. It sort of looks like a steak knife. I know stuff is more expensive in the UK and Europe.
I don't mind doing a bit of grinding on the edge. I love tweaking things so they are just right for me :) and yes things are more expensive here....that's if you can even find stuff. I've seen adverts for knife supply stores in the U.S.A and they are like an Aladdin's cave !! nothing like it in the U.K.

I've only known about the Kephart design for a few weeks ( yes i'm that naïve ) I can see what the shape it intended to be, but looking at Google pictures i've seen lots of slight differences. So.…..what is the main defining character trait in this knife? or is there more than one?. The grind. the point, handle shape etc?

Mostly the blade shape and then a neutral handle. The Becker BK62 is one of the closest to historically accurate but there have been several others from custom makers. I like to call a lot of them "Kephart-inspired" instead of Kepharts these days.

Mostly the blade shape and then a neutral handle. The Becker BK62 is one of the closest to historically accurate but there have been several others from custom makers. I like to call a lot of them "Kephart-inspired" instead of Kepharts these days.
I agree with BE and Rimfire about the Becker Kephart. Great knife at a great price.
Also, anybody can and plenty do make a knife and call it a Kephart. As BE pointed out, it's Kephart inspired. Take this one I had made, while I love it, it ain't no Kephart. BE likes it because it has a orange tail.

It's 3V steel with a Peter's heat treat.

There was another thread that mentioned Lucas Forge knives and went to their (his) website. Thinking seriously of another Kephart done in O1 this time. His knives aren't real expensive. I believe someone in this thread got one of his kepharts, but I am not going to go searching back for the post. I might ask if he'll down size one a bit and see what he says.... There is no question that I use the little knives more than the bigger ones.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire I own one. I requested it to as close to Kephart’s original specs as Lucas could go. I’m happy to answer any questions you have.

Attachments

• CC77DE85-5247-490E-A851-A11C724FEDBB.jpeg
    CC77DE85-5247-490E-A851-A11C724FEDBB.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 23
deltablade deltablade If I get one, it will be flat ground. I need to think about blade length a bit. I really am serious thinking I may contact Lucas to see if he would be willing to do one about 7-7.5" overall length (about a 3.75" handle). I have a number of Kepharts already and would want something different and not necessarily a recreation of the original. My thought is to make it edc size or what I consider edc size. This way I know I'll almost certainly use it and not just admire it.

I really like the way Lucas shapes his blade, with a slight widening toward the tip.

I personally think that the paddle shape is why people say kepharts feel like they want to cut. When you make a cut with a paddle-shaped kephart, the shape pulls against your hand. The weight you feel from the pull of the cut is shifted towards the back of your fingertips, away from the blade. That’s not how straight blades feel. Your hand is literally pulled into the cut. It’s a subtle difference but you feel it even if you can’t articulate it. When you pair that with a thin, light, well-balanced knife, it feels extremely good. Like it’s alive.

Last edited:
deltablade deltablade If I get one, it will be flat ground. I need to think about blade length a bit. I really am serious thinking I may contact Lucas to see if he would be willing to do one about 7-7.5" overall length (about a 3.75" handle). I have a number of Kepharts already and would want something different and not necessarily a recreation of the original. My thought is to make it edc size or what I consider edc size. This way I know I'll almost certainly use it and not just admire it.
Lucas just finished these knives from a shetch I supplied to him. While it is obviously not a Kephart, my point is that he will make a knife of your design if you send him a sketch. In my case I couldnt decide what blade thickness to specify, 5/32 or 3/16, so he said "I'll make one of each, and you pick the one you like. I picked the 5/32 one on the bottom. He really does excellent work and is very accomodating.
TVNNtzG.jpg

Lucas just finished these knives from a shetch I supplied to him. While it is obviously not a Kephart, my point is that he will make a knife of your design if you send him a sketch. In my case I couldnt decide what blade thickness to specify, 5/32 or 3/16, so he said "I'll make one of each, and you pick the one you like. I picked the 5/32 one on the bottom. He really does excellent work and is very accomodating.
TVNNtzG.jpg
I think I'm going to contact Lucas. I generally don't order knives custom (handmade yes, but not custom to me), but this may be an exception. I like your knife... sort of a modified Nessmuk. Think I'll ask him about a downsized Kephart designed to be an edc. I'll probably reference the Bark River Mini Kephart for proportions. Any suggestions you can offer Box_Opener Box_Opener would be appreciated.

Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo Won't be long before you're getting another Kephart. :D

I sharpened up my Condor Compact Kephart yesterday. It's ready to go, but then it is always ready to go. The blade shape is very practical for an edc.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire I tried to get a Gossman Kephart. I'm too slow. I look at it this way, if'n it was meant to be...it'll happen sometime. I'm in no hurry.
2 rules I like to pattern my life by...
Rule #1 - Don't ever get excited
Rule #2 - Don't ever forget Rule #1

Lucas actually has a mini Kephart on his website under previous work
Walnut-Mini-Kephart.jpg
Noticed that and thanks for posting. I emailed Lucas to see if he's interested in making a mini kephart for me. I suspect it won't be exactly like that one. He has done some kephart-ish neck knives too. I want this to be a 4-finger knife or or just barely a 4-finger knife.

Noticed that and thanks for posting. I emailed Lucas to see if he's interested in making a mini kephart for me. I suspect it won't be exactly like that one. He has done some kephart-ish neck knives too. I want this to be a 4-finger knife or or just barely a 4-finger knife.
I've always been in search for that one knife that could do most everything you could ask of any knife. Not sure it exists but this 4 finger mini could be it.
Let's face it, if you don't have it on you when you need it, what good is it? Are you going to strap 2 or 3 knives on you when you head out into God's wild blue yonder? It's got to be versital.
I would consider myself lucky if I had my Gray Wolf strapped on when needed.

Back