Photos Kepharts...They just Work

I've always been in search for that one knife that could do most everything you could ask of any knife. Not sure it exists but this 4 finger mini could be it.
Let's face it, if you don't have it on you when you need it, what good is it? Are you going to strap 2 or 3 knives on you when you head out into God's wild blue yonder? It's got to be versital.
I would consider myself lucky if I had my Gray Wolf strapped on when needed.

Yes, is the answer to that question :D. Often, one is a folder. I'm partial to muskrat, trapper, and especially moose patterns.

Being a hillbilly from WV I guess I don't include both pocket knives that are always on me as an add on or accessory.
I look at them as a basic necessity. I prolly take them for granted.
I figure I'll be lucky to have a 4" fixed blade on me if and when I need one.
Just like my Supertool 300. I would consider myself extremely lucky to have that one strapped on when needed. Maybe I need an extra gear belt with this stuff on it. One 4" blade, the 300 and a pouch full of survival goodies.

Being a hillbilly from WV I guess I don't include both pocket knives that are always on me as an add on or accessory.
I look at them as a basic necessity. I prolly take them for granted.
I figure I'll be lucky to have a 4" fixed blade on me if and when I need one.
Just like my Supertool 300. I would consider myself extremely lucky to have that one strapped on when needed. Maybe I need an extra gear belt with this stuff on it. One 4" blade, the 300 and a pouch full of survival goodies.

I've started carrying more "oh shit" gear in my EDC bag that goes to and from work everyday now so I'm less likely to be caught without some good gear. I have a small fixed blade in there, nothing substantial as laws in some of the cities I travel prohibit it, but I have the multitool and now an IFAK attached to me EDC bag. That's kind of how I keep the main things pocketable, folder, pen, and light, while getting some more substantial stuff carried around with me. I've started packing more hankies and cordage as well, just in case.

Yes, is the answer to that question :D. Often, one is a folder. I'm partial to muskrat, trapper, and especially moose patterns.
More than one fixed blade? I can understand that if you are escaping to the hills for potentially a pretty long stretch of time. I just love the GEC #48 Improved Trapper. Unfortunately my SAK always seems to win the day for normal carry. But situations change and needs change. I certainly would not carry the SAK as my one and only if I were hunting small game.

Assuming Lucas is willing to make the knife, I don't want it to be a recreation of the Bark River Mini Kephart.

More than one fixed blade? I can understand that if you are escaping to the hills for potentially a pretty long stretch of time. I just love the GEC #48 Improved Trapper. Unfortunately my SAK always seems to win the day for normal carry. But situations change and needs change. I certainly would not carry the SAK as my one and only if I were hunting small game.

Assuming Lucas is willing to make the knife, I don't want it to be a recreation of the Bark River Mini Kephart.

I do often carry more than one fixed blade on shorter trips, just for fun. Usually, something with a smaller handle and blade, more like an EDC sized fixed blade, and then something more substantial. I've been doing so much knife testing the past several months that I often have a bag of just 3-5 test knives now, but that's not normal. It depends on what I plan on doing and if the knife is an important part of the trip (bushcraft) or if it's more of an occasional use or "oh shit" tool (hiking). I don't carry an axe or tomahawk much anymore and stick with a folding saw and batoning more than I used to. Some of my habits have changed recently because my 16-month-old loves to pull things out of my pockets and he's been really drawn to pocket clips the past couple months.

The buck 110 LT is one of my favorite dedicate hiking folders, split between that and my cold steel golden eye.

I wonder if Horace Kephart, with the quote from your tag line about the knapsack, would have liked the patch that reads, "Not all those who wander are lost." Just something to think about. I was just also commenting in another thread and I came up with this, "Not all those who wander are lost......but are urgently trying to find an open public restroom." :p Sometimes there are just no decent size trees around, and we do not get to the woods as often as we like, to wander of course, and some of the park facilities are still closed.

Last edited:
I wonder if Horace Kephart, with the quote from your tag line about the knapsack, would have liked the patch that reads, "Not all those who wander are lost." Just something to think about. I was just also commenting in another thread and I came up with this, "Not all those who wander are lost......but are urgently trying to find an open public restroom." :p Sometimes there are just no decent size trees around, and we do not get to the woods as often as we like, to wander of course, and some of the park facilities are still closed.
Nothing like strapping on your favorite bushcrafter type knife and taking a hike in the woods. I try to walk in stealth mode and see what I can sneak up on.

I think I'm going to contact Lucas. I generally don't order knives custom (handmade yes, but not custom to me), but this may be an exception. I like your knife... sort of a modified Nessmuk. Think I'll ask him about a downsized Kephart designed to be an edc. I'll probably reference the Bark River Mini Kephart for proportions. Any suggestions you can offer Box_Opener Box_Opener would be appreciated.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire I really think you’re best off just talking to Lucas. Tell him what you’re thinking and he’ll work with you. He’s very communicative. I do not recommend one of the scout-style sheaths, though. It’s beautiful but it’s much too bulky to sit comfortably.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire I really think you’re best off just talking to Lucas. Tell him what you’re thinking and he’ll work with you. He’s very communicative. I do not recommend one of the scout-style sheaths, though. It’s beautiful but it’s much too bulky to sit comfortably.
He emailed me back and I'll start the process. Said he would be glad to build me one. Do you know if I have to decide on "everything" up front or I can make some modifications down the road a bit after I get my head organized a bit on things? I'll have to think about the sheath and probably best to just call him in that regard. We'll see.

Last edited:
He emailed me back and I'll start the process. Said he would be glad to build me one. Do you know if I have to decide on "everything" up front or I can make some modifications down the road a bit after I get my head organized a bit on things? I'll have to think about the sheath and probably best to just call him in that regard. We'll see.

I really don’t know. I’m sure you could update your order later if you wanted to, though.

...I figure I'll be lucky to have a 4" fixed blade on me if and when I need one.
I have been mostly carrying the little Compact Kephart everyday. But yesterday I lubed up the leather sheath on the Condor compact kephart and strapped on one of my other smaller knives to allow it to dry a bit. I was outside in the yard and saw the usual violets (weeds for me) and decided to dig one out with the knife. Did that and realized this is one of my customs/handmade knives.... oops. I don't mind scratching up a knife or dulling the edge, but digging in hard soil is out of the question for a handmade knife unless it's an emergency. It is not uncommon for me to dig with the little Condor kephart. Their Bushlore model gets used for this quite a bit if I think about grabbing a knife for yard work. I like knives that I really have few qualms about hurting or severely dulling the edge.

I carry my small 5.11 sling bag a good bit for short hikes. Carried it Monday on a hike.... water bottle, disposable rain jacket, small revolver, extra small camera lens, band aids, map, pen & paper, and dry socks. It is my favorite for this kind of thing as I am not real big on back pack type bags for casual woods use. You aren't likely to hurt it with normal use and it protects things for all but a long drenching down pour. I keep a small NiteCore flash light attached to the bag just in case. It is pretty much always there and I have to remember to charge the battery from time to time. The Vic Trekker often gets slipped inside too. I had my regular Small Tinker sak, Compact Kephart, and Leatherman Ps4 Squirt along for the ride. By far, the camera gear was the heaviest stuff I was carrying. Other than the extra small lens, I carry the camera gear in my hands (about 10 lbs worth). Had a fun if not tiring day. Got a few pictures that I was satisfied with and that was a bonus.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun to me. I love to go woods-bumming. I don't have a sling pack, just a small camo backpack. If I ever were to lay it down I might lose it. :eek:

I have been mostly carrying the little Compact Kephart everyday. But yesterday I lubed up the leather sheath on the Condor compact kephart and strapped on one of my other smaller knives to allow it to dry a bit. I was outside in the yard and saw the usual violets (weeds for me) and decided to dig one out with the knife. Did that and realized this is one of my customs/handmade knives.... oops. I don't mind scratching up a knife or dulling the edge, but digging in hard soil is out of the question for a handmade knife unless it's an emergency. It is not uncommon for me to dig with the little Condor kephart. Their Bushlore model gets used for this quite a bit if I think about grabbing a knife for yard work. I like knives that I really have few qualms about hurting or severely dulling the edge.

I carry my small 5.11 sling bag a good bit for short hikes. Carried it Monday on a hike.... water bottle, disposable rain jacket, small revolver, extra small camera lens, band aids, map, pen & paper, and dry socks. It is my favorite for this kind of thing as I am not real big on back pack type bags for casual woods use. You aren't likely to hurt it with normal use and it protects things for all but a long drenching down pour. I keep a small NiteCore flash light attached to the bag just in case. It is pretty much always there and I have to remember to charge the battery from time to time. The Vic Trekker often gets slipped inside too. I had my regular Small Tinker sak, Compact Kephart, and Leatherman Ps4 Squirt along for the ride. By far, the camera gear was the heaviest stuff I was carrying. Other than the extra small lens, I carry the camera gear in my hands (about 10 lbs worth). Had a fun if not tiring day. Got a few pictures that I was satisfied with and that was a bonus.
would be fun to see a pic of that bag and gear

Sounds like fun to me. I love to go woods-bumming. I don't have a sling pack, just a small camo backpack. If I ever were to lay it down I might lose it. :eek:
I have a couple different sizes of 5.11 sling bags (not back packs). A larger model is what I carry at the Blade Show to keep my prizes. I have various sizes of back packs too, but I seldom use them. I used to carry my camera tripod in a fairly tall backpack, but I found I generally just have it in my hand most of the time anyway. So why have a back pack at all? Stuff of course; lots of stuff! ;)

would be fun to see a pic of that bag and gear
Aahhhhh, boring contents. Wouldn't make much of an interesting picture. I forgot that there is TP and paper towels in there too, a few zip lock bags, bic lighter, trail mix, matches, plastic cover for my camera if it rains (rain jacket is used for this too). There is a lot of extra room so you can pretty much just toss it all in there. I prepare for minor emergencies, but not really for an unplanned over night stay. That would happen if I got hurt out by myself and couldn't get back to my vehicle. The revolver (usually 22LR or 38 spl) is there for mostly 4-legged predators as it is "in the bag" and not really ready for immediate use. If I get the Lucas Mini-Kephart, it will probably replace the Condor. Not much cutting to do to be honest about it that my little SAK can't handle, but you never know.

Back