Kershaw kershaw 1776grydam questions

Hey y'all, quick question, just got a damascus link off the internet. Has anyone tried to deassist it? And did kershaw finally mill a retention hole in the blade? Shining a light down the handle, I can see a decent sized retention ball sticking out of the lock bar. Thanks for the help!

Hey y'all, quick question, just got a damascus link off the internet. Has anyone tried to deassist it? And did kershaw finally mill a retention hole in the blade? Shining a light down the handle, I can see a decent sized retention ball sticking out of the lock bar. Thanks for the help!
As far as I know they all had a detent. My last link, bought shortly after launch, was deassisted and certainly had a detent.

Maybe you're thinking if the Leek, which doesn't have a detent. That or I just got lucky with mine.

When first released, the Link (all variations) came with a detent hole milled into the blade. After some time, Kershaw stopped milling a detent hole and as far as I can tell, no Links off the line can be deassisted anymore. My Damascus Link does not have a detent hole in the blade.

When first released, the Link (all variations) came with a detent hole milled into the blade. After some time, Kershaw stopped milling a detent hole and as far as I can tell, no Links off the line can be deassisted anymore. My Damascus Link does not have a detent hole in the blade.
Ah, that blows. I'd still buy one as I like the assist, but I'd still prefer to have the option.

I deassisted both my early aluminum and frn Links, and while they worked ok, it worked much better with the spring so I put it back in.

I used to be a huge proponent of deassisting my KAI knives, namely my Blurs or my 566, but a few years back I realized that the models that were able to be deassisted worked better with the speedsafe mechanism in place, so I just leave them in. I have plenty of manual action knives to keep me happy, no need for me to mess with a properly operating speedsafe KAI USA product.

Just my experience.

Last edited:
Back