Kershaw and ZT 2020 lineup

In regards to the new balisong

• Blade: 4.6 in. (11.7 cm)
  • Closed: 5.8 in. (15 cm)
  • Overall: 10.25 in. (26 cm)
  • Weight: 5.9 oz. (168 g)
A little heavy but man this is going to be sweet. I caught this in their description too
"the blade tapers so that the top has more weight to pendulum around smoothly".

They seemed to have put a lot of thought into this one. I haven't gotten excited about very many of Kershaws offerings in the last few years but this I'm definitely picking up.

I know they are trying to reach a bottom dollar price point for people who aren't into knives, but I feel like they can do better than 4cr14. I know it's supposed to be equivalent to 420hc and 1.4116 but it never really reaches those levels. I really wish they would stop using garbage and pick a respectable "Baseline" blade steel. Kershaw is kind of all over the place these days, some good and some bad.

This was my biggest concern seeing thee Kershaw lineup. So much more 4Cr than in the past. (Also they can't seem to make up their minds whether they want to call it 4Cr13 or 4Cr14, in some of them the "information"page says one, and doesn't match what's listed on the "tech specs" for the same knife)

It seems they're splitting the Kershaw line between the higher end ones with D2 and 14C28N, and the lower end ones with the 4Cr. They even say some of the 4Cr ones are the "Starter series" so I wonder if we'll see them split it along those lines and label them as such.

Hopefully they continue to come out with more D2 at the ~$50 price point and more 20CV versions at the ~$100 price point.

ZT was the brand that got me into knife "collecting, hoarding", IMO the 308 is a step in the right direction from the current path they have been on. I will withhold judgment until we can get some hands on posts. It does remind me of the kershaw knockout, which I do not own but like the looks. The kershaw steel direction seems like a race to the bottom though, other than $$ I cant speculate on their reasoning.

Last edited:
The butthurt in this thread is absurd. ZT isn't designing for the preferences of one or two users...they have to hit a broad range of interest to sustain long term sales and growth, it's a business after all. They said in their posts the 308 was an EVOLUTION...that means change.

They eliminated speedsafe, we can all agree that's a plus for most of us (though I think the majority of ZT customers would disagree). They upgraded steel and gave us bearings too. The color combos will evolve, but the core is solid...a beefy overbuilt folder made for abuse...pretty sure this fits. But when whining about clips, jimping, and ergos it's all personal prefrence...not to mention pointless until you hold it. I've had several knives that looked like they shouldnt feel good i hand, then I'm proven wrong when I hold it. Personally, I don't think moving to an internal stop is gonna make a difference, if someone thinks it does I'd love to see some actual data on the matter because conjecture is pointless. Fact is we have all seen blades crack at the stud on occasion, there are always compromises being made. The majority of knives use internal stops these days without issue (benchmade, emerson, and soooo many more).

People seem to whine about ZT for no reason other than prefrence. That's fine... your preferences have changed over time and so have they... it's called growth. Want nostalgia...watch a movie from your youth. I just hate constantly reading posts about how ZT or some other company has gone downhill because someone doesn't like a knife..thats just silly BS. ZT is still putting out great knives. Anyone that actually held a 470, 640, or even a 223 should be able to attest to the build quality, action, and performance, and the warranty is still bar none. Anyone whining about the knives without actually holding should know better.

besides...why are we putting down people that are excited about a knife, if you dont like it that doesn't mean someone else can't, I thought we were all knife guys here?

I am kinda jazzed - I like big, heavy knives and I LOVE me some CU! Not for everyone, but for those that align, sweet!

Enjoy what you love - I am going to love some of these babies!

best

mqqn

I am kinda jazzed - I like big, heavy knives and I LOVE me some CU! Not for everyone, but for those that align, sweet!

Enjoy what you love - I am going to love some of these babies!

best

mqqn

Hell yes!

I might even pick up the Bali on top of a copper natrix and try to learn some tricks. I really like what I’ve seen so far from zt and kershaw this year.

People here seem happy to see more D2. Is anyone else experiencing D2 burnout? Don't get me wrong. I'd take Chinese D2 over 8Cr13Mov any day of the week if the price hike isn't too big. The problem is that it usually is with Kershaw. It doesn't help that companies like Kubey and Ganzo are offering Chinese D2 at prices competitive with Kershaw's 8Cr13Mov.

Chinese D2 has really been sweeping the budget world. It's everywhere now. It's also not living up to the hype in most cases. It's definitely better than 8Cr13Mov but is it consistently and appreciably better than steels like 14C28N, Acuto 440, or Civivi's 9Cr18Mov? Frankly, it depends. Chinese D2 seems variable in my experience. When I get a good one, it isn't always better by a landslide either. Outpost76 has been doing a lot of cut testing and he addressed this in a recent video.

As far as 4Cr14 goes, just say "no". Based on what I've been seeing in the global marketplace, there is no reason that these bottom-end Kershaws couldn't just use 8Cr13Mov. The new traditionals from Kershaw use 7Cr17Mov. My experience with 7Cr17Mov is limited but edge retention isn't radically different from 8Cr13Mov. At least it's more resistant to corrosion.

That new balisong looks amazing

In regards to the new balisong

• Blade: 4.6 in. (11.7 cm)
  • Closed: 5.8 in. (15 cm)
  • Overall: 10.25 in. (26 cm)
  • Weight: 5.9 oz. (168 g)
A little heavy but man this is going to be sweet. I caught this in their description too
"the blade tapers so that the top has more weight to pendulum around smoothly".

They seemed to have put a lot of thought into this one. I haven't gotten excited about very many of Kershaws offerings in the last few years but this I'm definitely picking up.

I am going to go for the Bali - and some band-aids. Just saying.

best

mqqn
Totally agree. Very excited about this balisong. I'm not even a flipper or a collector. Having a quality USA made Kershaw Bali will be awesome though!

The butthurt in this thread is absurd. ZT isn't designing for the preferences of one or two users...they have to hit a broad range of interest to sustain long term sales and growth, it's a business after all. They said in their posts the 308 was an EVOLUTION...that means change.

They eliminated speedsafe, we can all agree that's a plus for most of us (though I think the majority of ZT customers would disagree). They upgraded steel and gave us bearings too. The color combos will evolve, but the core is solid...a beefy overbuilt folder made for abuse...pretty sure this fits. But when whining about clips, jimping, and ergos it's all personal prefrence...not to mention pointless until you hold it. I've had several knives that looked like they shouldnt feel good i hand, then I'm proven wrong when I hold it. Personally, I don't think moving to an internal stop is gonna make a difference, if someone thinks it does I'd love to see some actual data on the matter because conjecture is pointless. Fact is we have all seen blades crack at the stud on occasion, there are always compromises being made. The majority of knives use internal stops these days without issue (benchmade, emerson, and soooo many more).

People seem to whine about ZT for no reason other than prefrence. That's fine... your preferences have changed over time and so have they... it's called growth. Want nostalgia...watch a movie from your youth. I just hate constantly reading posts about how ZT or some other company has gone downhill because someone doesn't like a knife..thats just silly BS. ZT is still putting out great knives. Anyone that actually held a 470, 640, or even a 223 should be able to attest to the build quality, action, and performance, and the warranty is still bar none. Anyone whining about the knives without actually holding should know better.

besides...why are we putting down people that are excited about a knife, if you dont like it that doesn't mean someone else can't, I thought we were all knife guys here?

Or... considering how fast the re-runs of the ZT 0301 and 0303 sold out... They could of just remade that exact knife in 20cv with KVT, and maybe some skeletonized liners. Many people don't like sharpening recurves, so it made sense they changed the blade shape. People liked the 0301 because of it's ergonomics, and hard use no non-sense approached. Both of those have been largely altered. Honestly, I wouldn't of been as negative if ZT themselves didn't compare it to the ZT 0301. The cut in the handle by the pivot that is for "aesthetics and weight reduction", something about it just seems off to me.. maybe it is the location? I would of preferred just skeleton liners instead of that cut out. I also know on a large, heavy, hard use to knife, I want the additional strength offered by having the bladestop thumbstuds which were removed from the ZT 0301. The fact is, they had a widely popular model and they needlessly changed it. They're using different hardware (hardware I like less, more parts/fancy). They stripped this knife of many of small features that made it special. There is a reason the ZT 0301 is still well liked and widely used over a decade later after it was released.

If you want to talk business, the ZT 0301 family I believe the 2nd or 3rd best selling ZT ever, behind the 0350. I have a later produced 0562 in S35VN just before they discontinued. The 0562 is one of ZT's best selling/popular models and it's serial Number is in the low 8000's... I have a ZT 0301 that has a serial number in the late 18000's...

Last edited:
I trust Kershaw knows what they are doing with their business model. People seem to forget they are not making knives for just them personally. Am I going to buy any of their knives with 4cr? No, but I understand I am not their target for these knives. Kershaw makes their money on people who couldn't care less about what steel their knife is made. Last, if the 301 variants were selling so well, they'd still be making them. Things change. Good companies evolve. I love the 0550 and 0560. Those aren't coming back either. No sense crying about it.

Also it seems like ZT is still trying to capitalize on their competitor's PR SNAFU by naming this one the 0308. Combined with the 0022 and the 0223, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 0556 (might be a little too close to 566 though) or a 0762 soon.

Gotta be honest, I'm not really a big Kershaw fan, but I genuinely don't know why people are griping about this lineup. Seems like they have a ton of new designs for different uses and different price points and most of them look quite practical. I may be in for a Lucha, as I feel like I've kept too much of my blood inside my body over the last year, and I think the Highball looks like a very interesting, inexpensive gents knife and I'll probably snag one. I legitimately think this is KAIs most diverse and best lineup in years.

I have to agree, the highball is cool. I also think the camp 5 looks interesting.

I also think it's a really bold move to release a few traditionals. 7cr17 is a workable steel, close to 440A if they got the HT right.

My last post about the balisong I promise...

Preorders on KC and BHQ are live

... I also think it's a really bold move to release a few traditionals. 7cr17 is a workable steel, close to 440A if they got the HT right.

7Cr17Mov is basically 440A with a little added nickel. They get used for the same sorts of things. In years past, both were celebrated as good budget steels for survival and aquatic activities.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=7cr17mov, 440a&hrn=1&gm=0

At least 7Cr17Mov has something to offer. It's reasonably resistant to corrosion. In my experience, you might get slightly better edge retention with 8Cr13Mov but you'll get notably better corrosion resistance with 7Cr17Mov. Of course, you'll often do better in both categories with 9Cr18Mov or Acuto 440. They've been seeing use from Civivi and Tangram respectively. The former tends to be $40-50 while the latter is often down in the $20-30 range. I'm hoping to see more of both as the year progresses.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=9cr18mov, acuto440&ni=860,&hrn=1&gm=0

Kershaw has turned into a budget knife company; and that new ZT is going to be around 300.00 not worth it,nothing special about it.Bring back the old days of the bumps,speedform, the offset and their other great U.S. made knives.

I'm a huge fan of ZT, and probably will never sell the few ZT knives I own. (0562cf, 0450cf, 0460ti)

But at the same time, I'm a little disappointed in the recent releases. First the gas station 0223 and now the 0308. Fail IMO

Back