Kershaw Atmos

Looks very good if you like little knives. I just like bigger knives..........I am consistently frustrated that American knife companies like CRKT, Kershaw, Spyderco, etc don't offer very many new 3.75-4" knives in the $50-$100 price range. On the upside, I'm saving lots of money.

Maybe someone who has one could answer my question on its construction. Is the stop pin internal or is it visible at the top? Any pics?

My Atmos arrived. Out-of-the box, no issues.
It is comparable in size, weight and price to the Fraxion.

I slightly prefer the blackwashed Fraxion blade.
I prefer the deep-pocket clip on the Atmos.
The Atmos flipper tab has gimping; none on the Fraxion.
Both have gimping on the spine.
The Fraxion is open-pillar; the Atmos is open but with a backspacer.

I'm glad to see Kershaw offer two light-weight, manual flippers with blades under 3-inches.

I have one in my pocket today. great carry with slacks. it has surprisingly good action and it locks up great.

I noticed that the two screws on each side that hold on the pocket clip and spacer - one has a helicoil and blue locktite while the other is just threaded into the G10. Not saying its good or bad, just that I noticed it. Not sure why they would not helicoil and loctite both, though probably not needed.

For me, the Atmos always felt sharp when reaching around it to get something in and out of my pocket. I figured out this was the sharp 90 degree edges on the knife steel and G10 scales, and some rough edges on the gimping on the flipper. I took some fine sandpaper to all the 90 degree corners/edges, and was amazed how different the knife felt in the pocket.

I got one, very nice and roughly the same size as the 0450. Good flipper with a firm detent, smooth bearings, $26 well spent!

I hope they do a black blade version.

Anyone know if they plan to release multiple colors of the Atmos? I love the options that the Fraxion has, but the design of the Atmos is much more appealing to me. I'm sick and tired of black, though. The tan Fraxion with carbon fiber overlay looks sweet, IMO. I wish they offered the Atmos in the same color scheme.

Home run for sure. At that price point it is a grand slam. I could see this becoming a Kershaw classic with sprint runs if they wanted to. Why let Spyderco have all the fun?

Kershaw has the budget line on point. I carry the lil fraxion at work becuase ive lost two bm. Losing $30 knife is easier to take than $100 to $300. May pick up a atmos just cause its a lil bigger than the fraxion.. Read alot of good things about the atmos.

The sprint runs I posted a screenshot of above is being sold by our Australian local KAI business, Australian Knife Sales. I assume these sprint runs will be available through all KAI dealers.

I bought one at Blade Show and was disappointed with the movement in the blade when the knife was closed. Simply applying a little pressure on the flipper tab made the blade wiggle (the detent is too loose). And it also meant that the release was way too difficult as the detent ball would catch in the hole. Ended up shredding the skin on my finger trying to break it in. I returned it and the one they sent back was almost as bad. I gave the knife away because of the name (we have a product with this name) but only because I know it wouldn't get any daily use. I absolutely love the look, but the execution just doesn't seem to do it for me. I'll just wait to get its big brother (the 0470) when it comes out.

The sprint runs I posted a screenshot of above is being sold by our Australian local KAI business, Australian Knife Sales. I assume these sprint runs will be available through all KAI dealers.

I was under the impression that they were exclusives for a single dealer, but I hope I’m wrong!

Back