Kershaw "Sprint Runs"?

Looking through some of the new models for 2016 from Kershaw has me thinking about how many of these would have been awesome with a better steel and hardware. It seems that there is room in the 50-100 dollar retail range for some nice knives to slot just below the entry ZT models. I see many missed opportunities with the 2016 models. Beyond this idea though I think limited runs of some Kershaw models with upgraded fit and finish and steel would sell like crazy among knife nuts. I would purchase another cryo, for instance, if it came in another steel. I am curious if this has been attempted in the past or if there are any here who agree and may be willing to prod KAI into action.

They did Elmax runs of the knockout and leek with brown handles, composite blades on various models and of course the seemingly endless variants of blur and skyline.

I'd buy a linerless g-10 link, with lockbar insert of course and cpm154 for $100. It does come perilously close to the zt0770 though.

They do it on the USA made stuff all the time. I wouldn't count on it for imports any time soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Knockout sprint runs myself.

8cr13mov is becoming unacceptable, in my opinion.

The recent Chinese Kershaws I've looked at lately haven't been to the same quality level as in the past. They seem to come dirty more often too. I've also noticed Kershaw dropping out small but more expensive design elements on knives, like knurled thumb studs on the Amplitude.

I'm not sure what's up, but there seems to have been a drop in overall quality.

Out of all their new models the Entropy really needs more love. The price point is fantastic (~$20) but man is it made of cheap materials. The 8cr13mov needs to go, and the flipping action could be improved (lessen the detent slightly and smooth out the action). Outside of those two caveats the (Rexford) design is right on point. I've had $100 knives with better materials but far, far inferior design. I'd easily pay $150+ for the same knife made with knife enthusiast standard materials such as S30V or better blade steel, bearing flipper, etc etc.

They do it on the USA made stuff all the time. I wouldn't count on it for imports any time soon.

I guess that is what I am getting at though. I would have liked to see the Ferrite, Induction, Injection, and Entropy and the Les George models made in the US and with upgraded materials. I know they could not have made them all here but a few could have been. If not here, why not partner with some overseas OEM that is not mainland china. I happen to like many Taiwan made knives and they frequently receive materials from the US to do the job.

I guess that is what I am getting at though. I would have liked to see the Ferrite, Induction, Injection, and Entropy and the Les George models made in the US and with upgraded materials. I know they could not have made them all here but a few could have been. If not here, why not partner with some overseas OEM that is not mainland china. I happen to like many Taiwan made knives and they frequently receive materials from the US to do the job.

Kershaw doesn't build the import stuff for us. They build it for the people who shop at big box stores and consider anything too far over $50 to be an insane amount of money to spend on knives.

Judging by Spyderco's offering, Taiwan made knives with good materials are not any cheaper than USA made knives.

You can't get a tenacious in a different steel, right? Same deal.

I'm the same way the Bugatti Veyron wouldn't exist without VW selling a million Mexican made folds/passats, the high end ZT stuff would exist without KAI selling hundreds of thousands of Cryos.

I used to be all about the limited edition knives. Then I realized one of the main reason I buy nice knives if for the great warranty. With limited production stuff, they usually cant warranty it if needed.

Kershaw doesn't build the import stuff for us. They build it for the people who shop at big box stores and consider anything too far over $50 to be an insane amount of money to spend on knives.

Judging by Spyderco's offering, Taiwan made knives with good materials are not any cheaper than USA made knives.

You can't get a tenacious in a different steel, right? Same deal.

I'm the same way the Bugatti Veyron wouldn't exist without VW selling a million Mexican made folds/passats, the high end ZT stuff would exist without KAI selling hundreds of thousands of Cryos.

No, you cannot get a Tenacious in a different steel. However, you can get a Techno and it comes in XHP and is made in Taiwan. Not to mention a Sage (All of them), Gayle Bradley, Slysz Bowie, and many other high quality Spydercos. If Spyderco can find a quality maker in Taiwan, anyone can. I happen to think Taiwan knives are frequently very nice.

How so? Has the quality gone down?
Its unacceptable because there are so many knives made with it. Kershaw has saturated their lineup with too much 8cr and we as consumers deserve more. $40 should buy a sandvik blade not 8cr.

No, you cannot get a Tenacious in a different steel. However, you can get a Techno and it comes in XHP and is made in Taiwan. Not to mention a Sage (All of them), Gayle Bradley, Slysz Bowie, and many other high quality Spydercos. If Spyderco can find a quality maker in Taiwan, anyone can. I happen to think Taiwan knives are frequently very nice.

And they are priced the same as USA made knives. And there your budget buyers go. I used the Tenacious specifically.

And they are priced the same as USA made knives. And there your budget buyers go. I used the Tenacious specifically.

So, it is all or nothing then? I never suggested they move the entirety of their manufacturing to Taiwan and stop making budget options. They have so few knives in the 50-100 dollar range that a few more of appropriate quality would be welcome.

So, it is all or nothing then? I never suggested they move the entirety of their manufacturing to Taiwan and stop making budget options. They have so few knives in the 50-100 dollar range that a few more of appropriate quality would be welcome.

So you want them to contract with another knife manufacturer in a different company, invest all of the time and capital for tooling and setting up etc just so they can do a limited release of a higher end budget knife that they may sell a few thousand of?

I can't see them moving entire lines of knives to Taiwan. There is only ONE Taiwan Spyderco that is less than $100 and it's a tiny two inch bladed knife with 440C steel. I don't think anyone in Taiwan is going to be able to do the 10-15 new models per year KAI debuts in the volume they require and the price point they need to meet.

6 Launch models, Link, Blur, Leek, Skyline, Knockout, Camber, Shallot, Chive, Blackout, Rake and JYD II.

that's 17 USA made, 50-100ish dollar knives, not including variants by my count.

IMO, it's not that 8Cr13 needs to go, it's that the price on them needs to quit going up. Just a couple of years ago you could get a LOT of those knives, like the Tremor, Clash, OSO Sweet, Drone, and many others which were really good quality budget knives, for around $20-25. Now, most of their knives in the $20-25 range use the crappier 3Cr13 steel, and those 8Cr13 models are creeping up to the $35-40 range. And I mean, why should I pay $40 for an 8Cr13 Kershaw when I could spend an extra $5 and pick up a better materials, USA made Kershaw like the Leek, or could save $10-15 and pick up an AUS-8 Ontario Utilitac 2 or Rat 1 instead?

So you want them to contract with another knife manufacturer in a different company, invest all of the time and capital for tooling and setting up etc just so they can do a limited release of a higher end budget knife that they may sell a few thousand of?

I can't see them moving entire lines of knives to Taiwan. There is only ONE Taiwan Spyderco that is less than $100 and it's a tiny two inch bladed knife with 440C steel. I don't think anyone in Taiwan is going to be able to do the 10-15 new models per year KAI debuts in the volume they require and the price point they need to meet.

Easy enough request right? Just get on the phone Scurvy and make it happen, ok? NO more excuses... ;)

Back