Kershaw starting Sprint Runs!

so is there a list of upcoming sprints? a schedule or something? that way I know when to be looking.

Ahem, Mr. Bob Dozier would like to see you out in the hall for a minute. Bring a chair and a notebook, you're going to need them.

:D
Uh oh, schools about to be in session!
But seriously, $500+ for D2? No thanks. Just because it’s custom doesn’t mean the price is fair market value for the materials. I wouldn’t use custom prices as a comparison metric on anything, they’re all over the place and priced on a whim often times. There’s RWL-34 going for $900+... but I digress.

But seriously, $500+ for D2? No thanks. Just because it’s custom doesn’t mean the price is fair market value for the materials. I wouldn’t use custom prices as a comparison metric on anything, they’re all over the place and priced on a whim often times. There’s RWL-34 going for $900+... but I digress.

You're free to spend your money however you want to. However, there are a lot of tremendously well respected custom makers who make (and will continue to make) knives in steels that you'd probably call pedestrian whose prices start above $500. If you don't think any knife in D2 could be worth $500, whelp, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. Those makers (many of whom are ABS Mastersmiths) will get along just fine. :)

You're free to spend your money however you want to. However, there are a lot of tremendously well respected custom makers who make (and will continue to make) knives in steels that you'd probably call pedestrian whose prices start above $500. If you don't think any knife in D2 could be worth $500, whelp, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. Those makers (many of whom are ABS Mastersmiths) will get along just fine. :)
True.. but this is a thread about Kershaws. So was just interesting to hear any mention of custom D2 blades thrown in. Custom, mid-tech, and production are going to have a lot of variables on pricing outside of the steel. It could be strongly argued that production prices (Kershaw, this thread) would be more affected by steel type... custom not so much. I wouldn’t use a $500 price tag on a custom knife to argue steel value anymore than I’d use the price tag on a Ferrari to argue the value of the tires. Apples and oranges.

True.. but this is a thread about Kershaws. So was just interesting to hear any mention of custom D2 blades thrown in. Custom, mid-tech, and production are going to have a lot of variables on pricing outside of the steel. It could be strongly argued that production prices (Kershaw, this thread) would be more affected by steel type... custom not so much. I wouldn’t use a $500 price tag on a custom knife to argue steel value anymore than I’d use the price tag on a Ferrari to argue the value of the tires. Apples and oranges.

I invite you to go back and reread the post to which I was responding. In it, you'll note the statement that I was responding to, where a general non-Kershaw specific comment was made.

:)

So were you arguing about all those Kershaws with D2 that cost $500+? I'm not familiar with those particular models, but I will say they're likely overpriced.

I invite you to go back and reread the post to which I was responding. In it, you'll note the statement that I was responding to, where a general non-Kershaw specific comment was made.

:)
Oh. I guess I assumed a thread about Kershaws was just that, and that’s what my response was oriented toward. So this is the Kershaw/custom D2 thread, I think I got it now.

Oh. I guess I assumed a thread about Kershaws was just that, and that’s what my response was oriented toward. So this is the Kershaw/custom D2 thread, I think I got it now.

I'm sorry your lowkey attempt at censorship didn't work as planned. :)

I think we can agree that when you are getting to that level of craftsmanship and expense, the jump in price is not equated to a jump in the value of the materials.

CRK sells a ton of really expensive production knives in s35vn.

so is there a list of upcoming sprints? a schedule or something? that way I know when to be looking.
I'm afraid, to maximize the buzz around release, we won't know what the next sprint is until a few days before it drops. We can use this thread to share the news of new knives as various members get it.

I'm afraid, to maximize the buzz around release, we won't know what the next sprint is until a few days before it drops. We can use this thread to share the news of new knives as various members get it.

I'm down to keep this thread up for the other sprints they do. No idea what's coming next but you can bet your booty I'll be waiting for it!

I haven’t even received the sprint leek yet and I’m already eager for the next one.

A Kershaw Clash was the match that lit the knife fire for me.

I used it for work exclusively for about 8 months. I enjoyed it so much I started researching the internet and landed here at BladeForums.

It worked great and still does. It served as a fine EDC for someone who at the time did not really care about knives and steels all that much. I just needed a good knife backed by a good warranty.

I also have a junky Schrade folder with 3cr13mov. I have only used to open boxes or cut tape when shipping boxes. Lots and lots of boxes. I shipped over 8000 pounds via FedEx last season using this knife. I have not sharpened it once.

It serves admirably for what it’s needed for and quite honestly the work done with this 10 dollar beater is what made me an income that paid for all my other knives.

I believe there is a market for these tools and thankful we have options and a myriad of choices.

I rather liked the Clash. While obviously not an exact match, it reminded me a little of the Blur but with a flipper tab. Versus the Blur, I preferred the interplay of the handle shape and texture lines on the Clash. It was a cool knife. The major downsides for me were the pocket clip and the steel. I solved the clip issue by swapping in the deep-carry clip from a Kershaw Brookside. (It lines up perfectly with two of the screw holes and lets the Clash ride wonderfully in pocket.) The 8Cr13Mov was what eventually retired it for me. If they released a Clash in 14C28N for the right price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The same would be true for 154CM or N690. So if Kershaw stops by to explore possible sprint run opportunities, that could be a winner. ;)

People have complained that some of us are voicing our disapproval of 3Cr/4Cr in this thread. I just think this dovetails with the larger theme and why we might like to see sprint runs of various models in the first place. Kershaw has a bunch of cool designs that are let down by subpar steels. The question is what constitutes "subpar". As you noted, 3Cr13 can work in some applications. For instance, it's fine for cutting tape or an occasional bit of loose thread. I'd just like to see everyone bumped up to keep pace with the market. For instance, all those 3Cr and 4Cr knives should really just be 8Cr for the price. Some of the 8Cr models (especially those costing over $30) should get promoted to something better. The point is that for everyone who could make due with a lesser steel, they wouldn't be hurt by a better steel for around the same price. Meanwhile, people who want to get more use from a given edge could. Those of us currently buying Chinese budget knives in better steels could rediscover Kershaw.

I rather liked the Clash. While obviously not an exact match, it reminded me a little of the Blur but with a flipper tab. Versus the Blur, I preferred the interplay of the handle shape and texture lines on the Clash. It was a cool knife. The major downsides for me were the pocket clip and the steel. I solved the clip issue by swapping in the deep-carry clip from a Kershaw Brookside. (It lines up perfectly with two of the screw holes and lets the Clash ride wonderfully in pocket.) The 8Cr13Mov was what eventually retired it for me. If they released a Clash in 14C28N for the right price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The same would be true for 154CM or N690. So if Kershaw stops by to explore possible sprint run opportunities, that could be a winner. ;)

People have complained that some of us are voicing our disapproval of 3Cr/4Cr in this thread. I just think this dovetails with the larger theme and why we might like to see sprint runs of various models in the first place. Kershaw has a bunch of cool designs that are let down by subpar steels. The question is what constitutes "subpar". As you noted, 3Cr13 can work in some applications. For instance, it's fine for cutting tape or an occasional bit of loose thread. I'd just like to see everyone bumped up to keep pace with the market. For instance, all those 3Cr and 4Cr knives should really just be 8Cr for the price. Some of the 8Cr models (especially those costing over $30) should get promoted to something better. The point is that for everyone who could make due with a lesser steel, they wouldn't be hurt by a better steel for around the same price. Meanwhile, people who want to get more use from a given edge could. Those of us currently buying Chinese budget knives in better steels could rediscover Kershaw.

You make valid points and I totally get the interest in Kershaw upping the steel quality.

What I don’t know, or have access to, is Kai’s business model. Can they still stay in business to offer these awesome sprint runs if they have to bump production cost on less expensive models? No idea.

One thing I have noticed, is that they offer some pretty tasty Kershaw models with a pretty low price. Would these models cost more if they had to sink more inputs into their cheaper models? Who knows?

You make valid points and I totally get the interest in Kershaw upping the steel quality.

What I don’t know, or have access to, is Kai’s business model. Can they still stay in business to offer these awesome sprint runs if they have to bump production cost on less expensive models? No idea.

One thing I have noticed, is that they offer some pretty tasty Kershaw models with a pretty low price. Would these models cost more if they had to sink more inputs into their cheaper models? Who knows?

You're right. We don't know Kai's business model or what other costs they have. I'm not sure who makes their Chinese-made knives or what the relationship is. When I talk about the market here, I'm talking about what Chinese companies are offering for similar prices. For instance, there are a bunch of Chinese companies from Kubey to Sanrenmu using steels like 12C27, 14C28N, and Chinese D2 in knives at prices comparable to Kershaw's 8Cr and 4Cr knives. For instance, Kizer's budget line (Tangram) exclusively uses Acuto 440 and tends to cost around $25.

Given the continued expansion of these alternatives at comparable prices, I have trouble justifying the 8Cr13Mov (or worse) models from Kershaw, CRKT, etc. They've simply dropped out of my consideration pool. Having spent so many years with Kershaws in my pocket, that makes me a little sad. I have to wonder if they've been able to afford staying behind that market because they're doing significant business in environments where they are protected from the competition, such as in big box stores.

You're right. We don't know Kai's business model or what other costs they have. I'm not sure who makes their Chinese-made knives or what the relationship is. When I talk about the market here, I'm talking about what Chinese companies are offering for similar prices. For instance, there are a bunch of Chinese companies from Kubey to Sanrenmu using steels like 12C27, 14C28N, and Chinese D2 in knives at prices comparable to Kershaw's 8Cr and 4Cr knives. For instance, Kizer's budget line (Tangram) exclusively uses Acuto 440 and tends to cost around $25.

Given the continued expansion of these alternatives at comparable prices, I have trouble justifying the 8Cr13Mov (or worse) models from Kershaw, CRKT, etc. They've simply dropped out of my consideration pool. Having spent so many years with Kershaws in my pocket, that makes me a little sad. I have to wonder if they've been able to afford staying behind that market because they're doing significant business in environments where they are protected from the competition, such as in big box stores.
Not the place for this crusade my man. I'm doubting these sprint runs will even be of the Chinese variety. Can we try to keep this thread on the topic? People want to talk about these sprints and get information about what they will be and when they will be available.

Not the place for this crusade my man. I'm doubting these sprint runs will even be of the Chinese variety. Can we try to keep this thread on the topic? People want to talk about these sprints and get information about what they will be and when they will be available.

Hey, I'm excited here. These sprint runs could be a good thing for Kershaw. They're an opportunity to deliver some "better steel" variants of existing knives. I haven't bought a Kershaw since the M390 Dividend came out. This could be an opportunity to change that. :)

Back