Kershaw Steel Advice

I recently purchased a Kershaw Skyline through a seller on Walmart.com. I paid for the regular 1760 model with Sandvik steel. The intention was to use this is an EDC blade that I wouldn’t have to worry about using and abusing. I ended up receiving a beautiful 1760dam damascus model and was told by the seller that the error works in my favor and that I can keep it or exchange for the 1760 model I ordered. So I want advice on what I should do. Is the Damascus as good as the Sandvik steel for edc tasks? Price aside would I be better off using the Damascus as the edc beater or sending it back?

Last edited:
It would work as an edc, but personally, I would sell it, buy the sandvik, and keep the cash. Ya got lucky there.

Hold onto it and enjoy using her. The Dammy models have a really cool pattern and hold an edge just fine for EDC type tasks.

You are good either way but, I must tell you that Kershaw’s Damascus knives hold there value very well. I once saw a used Damascus Zing sell for $204.00 on eBay. Not bad for a used knife that had a street price of about 80-90 bucks new

Keep the knife. Buy a Sandvik model and use it for EDC.

Kershaw’s Sandvik steel is one of my favorites, btw.

Absolutely keep it. Use it if you like or buy another regular version to use. If it were me, I'd just use it. Think of it this way, a lot of people have bought those but are collectors and will never use them. You have been given an opportunity to use an upgraded knife at the cost of the regular version. Good opportunity I would say.

I have had Kershaw's damascus blades before and they make great users. Easy to sharpen, keeps a fine edge, and good looking. If you are dead set an an all stainless in 14c28n then by all means sell it, maybe to me, and get the knife you want. I say keep and use the Kershaw damascus as there are few opportunities to get a decent layered blade cheap enough to use without worrying about it.

I'd say use it if ya want,or put it away and get another for edc. Great knife I love them

I’d say you lucked out. I do like 14c28n but that Damascus is tough and a great conversation piece. Keep it and enjoy it.

Personally I don’t prefer Damascus for a user knife. I’d sell it and buy the regular, keep the extra cash. I’ve had both and I like the regular version better for daily use.

I have one and I keep it nice for more dressy situations. The light bit I've used it makes it seem as good as the Sandvik, but it's not going to be as corrosion resistant. You got a knife worth almost twice what you paid for it, that's a win. I would not use it as a beater, but I would put a little back and buy a second Skyline.

Keep it. Use it if you want to, Kershaw Damascus is usually pretty good. Personally, I'd buy another in 14c28n for EDC, and have the Damascus as a BBQ knife, something to show off, as well as being a good cutter.

I recently purchased a Kershaw Skyline through a seller on Walmart.com. I paid for the regular 1760 model with Sandvik steel. The intention was to use this is an EDC blade that I wouldn’t have to worry about using and abusing. I ended up receiving a beautiful 1760dam damascus model and was told by the seller that the error works in my favor and that I can keep it or exchange for the 1760 model I ordered. So I want advice on what I should do. Is the Damascus as good as the Sandvik steel for edc tasks? Price aside would I be better off using the Damascus as the edc beater or sending it back?

So, I know this opinion makes me some kind of heretic, but 90% of us would not know the difference between the different steels based on its performance in everyday cutting, short of a catastrophic manufacturing flaw. I'd say use it.

So, I know this opinion makes me some kind of heretic, but 90% of us would not know the difference between the different steels based on its performance in everyday cutting, short of a catastrophic manufacturing flaw. I'd say use it.
90%? I think you're being kind.

Back