Kershaw/ZT Picture Thread!!! Let's See Em'!

Skywalker31, Very impressive 0801 you have got there. I have alway wanted to get one of those but the timing never worked out. Thanks for sharing your awesome knife.

I have got my 0801BRZ with me today.

I just received the full MXG Gear hardware set for my 0801ti. The pivot is a problem. The tolerances must be very tight, the blade is very gritty, binds up, wont free fall, heck....wont close at all unless i push it closed. Ive thought about sanding/polishing the shaft on the pivot down and see if that helps. I had their full hardware set on a 0900 & 0801 and had no issues....

I just received the full MXG Gear hardware set for my 0801ti. The pivot is a problem. The tolerances must be very tight, the blade is very gritty, binds up, wont free fall, heck....wont close at all unless i push it closed. Ive thought about sanding/polishing the shaft on the pivot down and see if that helps. I had their full hardware set on a 0900 & 0801 and had no issues....

Hi yamsi12, I have had this same issue once with the a pivot set from MXG Gear as well. It is due to tolerance stacking. You have got the right idea though. What I did was, with the knife disassembled. I took the blade and female pivot nut and checked to see that I could press the pivot nut through the blade pivot bore. You want the fit to feel hydraulic (tight without having to put a lot of pressure to get the pivot nut through). I then lightly sanded the pivot nut until I got the fit I wanted. I did a little bit at a time and checked often. Hope this helps, JonesE

Benson X, that is a great looking family you have got there.

Thanks JonesE JonesE ! Of course, that isn't my full ZT/Kershaw collection, just the BW ones (sans the new 1660RBW).
Maybe this weekend I will break out the whole fam-damily and get some pics.

Hi yamsi12, I have had this same issue once with the a pivot set from MXG Gear as well. It is due to tolerance stacking. You have got the right idea though. What I did was, with the knife disassembled. I took the blade and female pivot nut and checked to see that I could press the pivot nut through the blade pivot bore. You want the fit to feel hydraulic (tight without having to put a lot of pressure to get the pivot nut through). I then lightly sanded the pivot nut until I got the fit I wanted. I did a little bit at a time and checked often. Hope this helps, JonesE

its weird, at first the blade went on fine, then within 15 minutes or so got tight and wouldn’t function properly. I’ve since sanded it down ever so slightly and seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully it stays that way.

Did a little bit of maintenance on my Elmax 0562 today. Cleaned, lubed, and stroped the blade. Swapped the hardware with some titanium pieces and the stock lock bar stabilizer with a Damasteel one.

yamsi12 yamsi12 How did your 0801TI turn out? I would be interested to see how it looks.

Last edited:
Since all of you are showing off your 801's lately, I thought why not add one to the collection.
v51O1A4.jpg

I have got my 0801BRZ with me today.

Beautiful example of the 0801....I have the original, the BW and the BLK Elmax versions, but I kick myself now for not buying this M390 version for the extra $40...they are awesome knives, one of my favorite ZT designs.
The Hinderer-style pivot screw looks great btw.

Did a little bit of maintenance on my Elmax 0562 today. Cleaned, lubed, and stripped the blade. Swapped the hardware with some titanium pieces and the stock lock bar stabilizer with a Damasteel one.

yamsi12 yamsi12 How did your 0801TI turn out? I would be interested to see how it looks.

B70307-B0-A0-B8-4-A37-B299-06-CF079-BE6-FF.jpg

I definitely prefer a torx based pivot to a slotted one. It’s much easier to scratch/damage a slotted one IMO. Even with using the proper size screwdriver it shows wear after a few times taking it off and on.....really not a fan.

Last edited:

I definitely prefer a torx based pivot to a slotted one. It’s much easier to scratch/damage a slotted one IMO. Even with using the proper size screwdriver it shows wear after a few times taking it off and on.....really not a fan.
Why are you disassembling your knife that much?

Why are you disassembling your knife that much?
Well considering the MXG pivot was causing the knife blade to bind, it had to be disassembled a few times. Ended up sanding the shaft on the female pivot with a dremel to get the knife blade to actually flip in a normal fashion.

Well considering the MXG pivot was causing the knife blade to bind, it had to be disassembled a few times. Ended up sanding the shaft on the female pivot with a dremel to get the knife blade to actually flip in a normal fashion.
Ah I missed the part where you were switching out the pivot.

Thanks for sharing. I think your knife looks great. So much better than the stock black oxide hardware. I to had an issue with my 0801TI pivot screw. When I assembled it I got distracted and the screwdriver slipped out of the slot. It buggered up the slot. After a bit of swearing and disgust of what had just happened, I grabbed a roll of painters tap. Taped up the knife around the pivot to protect the knife. Grabbed som 600 grit and sanded the pivot screw in a circular direction. Once the bur was removed, I grabbed a some finer grit and worked my way up to 1000 grit. It is not perfect, and there is no risk of a bur cutting my finger.

JonesE

Thanks for sharing. I think your knife looks great. So much better than the stock black oxide hardware. I to had an issue with my 0801TI pivot screw. When I assembled it I got distracted and the screwdriver slipped out of the slot. It buggered up the slot. After a bit of swearing and disgust of what had just happened, I grabbed a roll of painters tap. Taped up the knife around the pivot to protect the knife. Grabbed som 600 grit and sanded the pivot screw in a circular direction. Once the bur was removed, I grabbed a some finer grit and worked my way up to 1000 grit. It is not perfect, and there is no risk of a bur cutting my finger.

If I may chime in. I love the looks of the slotted pivot screw. To prevent scratches I used a copper penny which I tapped with cloth tape (gaffers tape). You can flatten one edge of the penny for greater effect though I never felt the need. This works much better than a screwdriver.
OzjoNHTl.jpg

To remove scratches, do as JonesE JonesE suggests, to remove burrs. But from there, I would wrap tape around the screw threads and insert into a drill chuck. Tighten gently. Then simply hold a piece of ScotchBrite against the head and spin away. Start with medium (red). If you like the look you can stop there. Otherwise continue to fine (grey). If you don't like the finish produced by the Fine, you can easily go back to the Red. The whole process takes only 5-15 seconds and looks factory!

If I may chime in. I love the looks of the slotted pivot screw. To prevent scratches I used a copper penny which I tapped with cloth tape (gaffers tape). You can flatten one edge of the penny for greater effect though I never felt the need. This works much better than a screwdriver.
OzjoNHTl.jpg

To remove scratches, do as JonesE JonesE suggests, to remove burrs. But from there, I would wrap tape around the screw threads and insert into a drill chuck. Tighten gently. Then simply hold a piece of ScotchBrite against the head and spin away. Start with medium (red). If you like the look you can stop there. Otherwise continue to fine (grey). If you don't like the finish produced by the Fine, you can easily go back to the Red. The whole process takes only 5-15 seconds and looks factory!

Thanks Mako109 for the trick and the suggestion to use a penny to remove and install the screw. I also did as you recommended and chucked up the screw and buff with the a scotchbrite pad. I used a medium green pad since that is what I had available. I did it to both my 0801 and 0801TI. Turned out great. I will now keep a penny with my torx bits.

Today’s carry after a bit off buffing of the pivot screw.

Now that looks great! You can also give each scale screw, lock bar stabilizer screw, clip screws, etc.. a satin finish with the same technique (not that this particular knife needs it). I usually do this to all naturally finished screws when I get a new knife.

Back