Kevin Cashen’s Guide to 1080 & 1084 DVD

I’ve gotten feedback from a handful of folks that have had the chance to watch this, and all have said they were impressed by how thorough the steels and processes were covered. I’m hoping to hear from some folks that may be “attention span challenged”, though. It’s easy for me to say that I found it easy to watch and informative, but I also hand sand CPM-4v at RC63-64. Perhaps I may not be the best judge in this respect. ;)

I just got my copy in the mail! Gonna watch it tonight! I also got his “Blade Grinding” video as well.
I’m pretty excited about it. My wife is not going to be excited about it, I’ll guarantee it!! Lol!

Mine arrived today, heading for the popcorn and lemonade!

Got mine, but my Mac is doing the "skipping over damaged sections" BS on a new DVD again.
Edit: Problem solved. When I ordered, I dropped a note to Mr. Cashen asking if the info on the DVD could be extrapolated to the standard 1084/15N20 damascus mix. He said that he treats that blend like 1080 with good effect. I was just watching the hardening portion of the video with the info about how you can get max hardness over a wide range of austenitizing temps. I think that it would be interesting to have a discussion about how the extra toughness that you might get from the nickel in the 15N20 might perhaps allow you to HT for more abrasion resistance?

Last edited:
i just bought one. i believe i can heat treat 1084 just fine at the moment. but for $40 if i can pick up a tip or method to increase all my future blades performance it seems like a bargain.
That was my thought process also, John, but I also wanted to know the what, how and why's of what's going on within my steel. This DVD does a very good job of answering those, and other questions for me. Hope you enjoy!

The video was very well done and held my attention throughout. I have some wood turning videos and I can't watch them without falling a sleep. Kevin's voice is very pleasing to listen to.

I really liked it.
It should definitely be on a beginner’s must haves although it’s not necessarily targeted to beginners. Kevin gives out a ton of information that for some people (me especially) had to find by sifting through all the incorrect info out there.

I really liked how he went into detail about why rc hardness isn’t the end all be all of the condition your steel is in. He briefly covers the microstructure of the steel and why it’s important to take steps to refine your grain. There’s so much great info in a well done video.

Money well spent.

I picked up a different blade forging technique in this DVD also. I had previously been taught a different progression of steps to get from rectangular billet to ready-to-grind. This DVD showed just enough of KC's process to be able to piece it all together. Looks very efficient. I know, that wasn't what it's about, but I'll take it as an add-on freebie.

I was happy to see that my process closely resembled what Kevin has outlined. A few of the metallurgical principles had been turned around in my head and I'm glad I picked up the dvd. I'm not too proud to admit that I thought the austenitizing phase was considered "liquid".

he should look into streaming. i would have gotten it already

Have you considered emailing Kevin to inquire about that possibility?

IMHO he is better off selling actual DVD's. Once a digital copy is out there it is more likely if not definitely going to be bootlegged and he is out of making sales. At least with the DVD someone would need the skills to to convert it to a standard video format to upload and it won't be long till mediafire links are all over the net. Not that it's that difficult to rip a DVD it just takes a small amount of time and cheap software. Bulk DVD's aren't that expensive nor is a DVD duplication tower if he wants to make multiples at a time. A 7 drive tower can be had for less than $300.

Back