Kevin Cashen’s Guide to 1080 & 1084 DVD

Well if anyone going to Blade wants to pick one up for me, I’d be happy to pay for your copy too...

If I remember right, Kevin used to be a regular on this forum until he was treated very rudely by someone else on this forum.
Those of you who will see him at the Blade Show might let him know how much we appreciate him and that we want him back.
I also want one of his dvd's.

If I remember right, Kevin used to be a regular on this forum until he was treated very rudely by someone else on this forum. /QUOTE]

Not to derail the nature of this thread, but that rude, divisive nature sometimes found does NOT exist where he went. It's simply not tolerated there.

Last edited:
Just watched it. Really well done, I recommend to all levels of knife makers from beginner to advanced. Worth the money. Great job KC.

Hoss
Thanks, Hoss. I'll have to buy one. Question. I know that a lot of us use the 1080/1084 and 15N20 combo for damascus, but what is your considered opinion regarding using 1084 as a monosteel for say reasonably priced kitchen knives?

**EDIT to add..... This should have been asked in another thread or via PM. Lets not get too off-topic. RM**

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I have used 1084 on many kitchen knives. It has performed beautifully, and I believe for home chefs, they are not going to push a knife to the limits where they are going to notice a difference between it and other steels. Maybe a line cook working an 8 hour shift won't appreciate having to touch it up more often, but then again, many do opt for steels like hitachi white, which also require more touch-ups. Just my $.02. This is a recent chef I did in 1084:
WGDeRRf.jpg

Last edited:
Had a chance to watch this earlier this week. I think this will be a welcome explanation to those looking to understand what’s happening when you heat treat steel. Kevin keeps it simple enough for someone starting out to grasp, and gets ‘technical’ enough for others to benefit, as well, with great insights into the alloys covered.

As Kevin is the consummate gentleman, and a good friend, he was gracious enough to sign my copy of the dvd. I’ll cherish it forever.

28799578058_f816afdc60_b.jpg

...it’s been remarked that I have a knack for bringing out the best in my friends. :D

Last edited:
I just got mine. It is outstanding. I have other "how to do it" videos and the speaker puts me to sleep. Kevin's doesn't.
Alan, if you would like to stop by sometime and watch it you are welcome. Just let me know.

If I remember right, Kevin used to be a regular on this forum until he was treated very rudely by someone else on this forum.
Those of you who will see him at the Blade Show might let him know how much we appreciate him and that we want him back.
I also want one of his dvd's.

The funny thing is they are both on KD now.

I'm getting a new computer and maybe I should celebrate by getting Kevin's DVD. While we add 1080 to the list of " beginner " steels I have always stated that it isn't just for beginners but excellent for all to have a very good working blade . Kevin figured that out ! :)

Thanks for the invite tom! I may take you up on that!!

Finally had time to pull out the laptop and order a copy. Looking forward to its arrival.

Back