Kevin Cashen Spatha

Here is Kevin's description:

Blade steel: 1084/15n20 pattern weld
Grip material: Cocobolo
Fittings: Bronze
Blade length: 22″
Overall length: 29″

This is the actual sword that was created on the PBS television show “A Craftsman’s Legacy”. The sword was initially completed under the time constraints of filming the show back in January 2017, but I decided to do a little extra work on the piece to really polish it up and reach its full potential. However, I have been so incredibly busy with teaching and lecturing travel, along with deadlines for jobs at home, that it took me until now to be able to unveil the final package, with bronze trimmed scabbard and all.

The blade is a traditional three bar pattern weld, two forty layer twists in the core with a forty layer edge wrapped around the outside, consisting of 1084 and 15n20 steels. The grip is cocobolo hard wood and the fittings are bronze. The scabbard is leather covered wood trimmed out in ancient Roman style with hand wrought bronze trim.

This is a stunning piece and a very dangerous weapon indeed. It would be at the top of anyone's choices for a medieval fight indoors.

Congratulations to Joss and to Kevin. What a pleasure to handle! Every centimeter was detailed with quality.

Even Kevin's handmade shipping 'box' was a styrofoam container with the sword nested safely in a perfectly shaped cavity. What you would hope, and what comes as an impressive surprise. :thumbsup:

Good thread.

Kevin is a TRUE Master.

He has exemplary methods and discipline, unparalleled metallurgical knowledge and fantastic teaching skills.

Love the multibar on this one Joss, great get, the sheath is next-level shizzle as well.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back