Key chain knife fans, just got my micro recon. What else is good?

Great pick!

mon my side I go old school when it comes to keychain knives.
A basic SAK Rambler has stop my quest for the best keychain knife.
More a multi tool than a knife, but as I carry a folder in my pocket, this small tool bring me the extra options I need.

ladybug
manbug
dragonfly

all from spyderco & excellent

SPC28WDP_1.jpg

I bought these 2 Al Mar Ospreys in 2003. The black micarta for me and the pearl for my wife.
She's kept hers in the leather slip case it came with in her purse and it has remained in nice condition.
Mine was on my key ring for years. I took it off when I had to go to court a while back and have not put it back on.

HFluKEn.jpg

Christy Companion, been around since the 1930's.

Carrying things on my keys is not something I do, but just speaking of this as a traditional pocket knife in general it's excellent. It cuts like a lazer and the multiple blade positions is handy.

Last edited:

Carrying things on my keys is not something I do, but just speaking of this as a knife in general it's excellent. It cuts like a lazer and the multiple blade positions is handy.

This.

I carry a Vic Rambler everyday, all day, but am getting a Christy for a little variety.

Is there a shorter version of that? One with a 2.5" body and a 1" blade would be a clean alternative to junk like this:

71ztNgsYzhL._AC_SX569_.jpg
No it's only available in 3-1/4" frame.

There are 3 different blade locking positions though, 3/4" , 1-1/4", and 2".
You can easily slide the blade out 1/4" or so and hold it there, but it's better to just use the first position that gives you a 3/4" blade.

These truly are the best of both worlds.
It really is a pocket knife first and foremost, but if you need a short blade for safe package opening you've got that capability as well.

I carry and use mine as a pocketknife so I usually just hold the release and slide through to position #3 but it's easy enough to let go and stop at #1 when I need to, with position 2 I either stop short at #1 or overshoot to #3 so I don't even bother.

Last edited:
Not a brand that's seen very often in the Traditional forums, but this Spyderco is a slipjoint. Very small and very sharp. The tool of last resort.

One time a guy asked if I had a knife he could borrow. When I asked what he was going to use it for, the answer was something really stupid, so I offered him this. He laughed and went away. Who knows what he would have done to the nice Boker in my pocket.

s1TXsB3.jpg

Mark

I do a modular thing with my key ring. I've got a main ring and a bunch of stuff on smaller rings that can quickly change in or out depending on what else I'm carrying that day.

The Dragonfly is too big or too likely to catch for me on a key chain. The biggest knife I can comfortably do are some of the small SAK-like entries from Boker and Ruike. Their S22 with knife and scissors sometimes ends up on the ring. Smaller SAKs are good, with the Classic SD/Jetsetter being super easy.

For a cheap but effective little slip joint that can act as a bottle-opener in a pinch, the Harnds Lark is surprisingly good. They are available in a bunch of colors. I keep a handful of them for quick gifts when the need arises. I've given them to friends, co-workers, etc. I know at least three people who still keep them on their key-rings. Heck, my dad died with one in his pocket.

Carrying things on my keys is not something I do, but just speaking of this as a traditional pocket knife in general it's excellent. It cuts like a lazer and the multiple blade positions is handy.

THIS!!!

If you haven't tried a Christy knife yet, you need to. They cut like a scalpel, and its not surprising that they used to be a surgical instrument company. Also can be taken apart for cleaning. Just don't over torque the screws. Blades are replaceable as well.

Last edited:
I had a Schrade Little Bear (?) that I kept on my key chain ring so long it wore thru the bail. Sent it back to Schrade and they repaired it. Started traveling a lot and got to be a pain taking it off my key chain every time I flew, so now it is my knife drawer. John

Back