Recommendation? Key Ring or No Key Ring

OK, I've always left the key ring on my SAKs and they all have a lanyard of some kind attached (red and black paracord or leather, mostly). However, for my new black alox Cadet I've decided that maybe I'll take it off. The knife is so slim that the ring is actually the widest part of the knife. Also, I've been trying it in a Case brand suede pocket slip, where the ring definitely interferes. (The slip not only protects the knife, but helps to keep in vertical in a back pocket.)

Just wondering, if you don't use a lanyard or attach your SAK to anything, what is your preference? Any benefit to leaving it on? Somehow it doesn't seem right without it -- it's part of the SAK ambiance, after all. Still, a SAK is foremost a functional tool, so why not remove a non-functional part?

When I owned a Cadet, I removed the ring and filed off the attachment point. I hate having a ring (or nubbin) digging into my palm when I'm using the main blade.

The Electrician is my favorite SAK in part because it doesn't have a keyring.

Just wondering, if you don't use a lanyard or attach your SAK to anything, what is your preference?
Mostly I take them off. I never use a fob (lanyard) and on some I have had the ring fall into the way of the blade when closing the knife and had the edge collide with the ring.
THAT p___es me off.
I'm not saying I wouldn't use the ring if I were around water a lot or trekking in deep snow. A tether would be a must to keep from loosing the knife into the depths (snow or water).

On a Cadet, I keep the ring.

I hate folders attached to my keyring but there is a need for it at times. Because the Cadet is the smallest folder that I would ever want to carry, it's the one that gets clipped to my keys.

Last edited:
On a Cadet, I keep the ring.

I hate folders attached to my keyring but there is a need for it at times. Because the Cadet is the smallest folder that I would ever want to carry, it's the one that gets clipped to my keys.

What really bothers me is that on the SAK classic the blade opens in the direction towards the keys. The scissors open away from the keys. This makes me believe the scissors are meant to be the primary tool on the classic.

I replace the rings on 84mm and 93mm SAKs with the smaller rings from the Classic-sized knives. Still functional but less noticeable and less "floppy."

Interesting, I'll have to look into that. I keep my Wenger Esquire on the end table next to the couch so I could re-allocate the ring from it.

What really bothers me is that on the SAK classic the blade opens in the direction towards the keys. The scissors open away from the keys. This makes me believe the scissors are meant to be the primary tool on the classic.

The solution is the Rambler! That puts the knife blade on the correct end, plus adds a Phillips screwdriver and bottle opener in almost the same size package.

On any SAK I carry much, the key ring comes off. I have an old Swiss Champ that I carried for a couple of decades, until I broke the saw. It doesn't have the nub. I don't remember filing the nub off, but I must have.

O.B.

The ring on the 58 and 74mm's are so small, I keep them even though I don't use the keyring. I like the option of being Abel to attach a lanyard to the bigger SAK's .

The sole exception is the alox. I hate the keyring nub that jabs my hand when I'm cutting something. It's a much more acute angle than the nub on the cellidor knives, and I end up taking it off my pioneers. I've unclipped the shackle on my old Wenger SI.

Victorinox needs to BRING BACK THE HOLLOW RIVET !!!!!!!!

Never use the key ring nub on Vic SAKs. I personally wish they did not exist on any SAK other than the Classic sized ones.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone comment that the keyring on the Classic is on the "wrong" end. It's only on the wrong end if one primarily uses the blade. It's on the "right" end if the scissors are primarily used.

It's amazing how few people have figured that out. Well done, Lapedog. :D

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone comment that the keyring on the Classic is on the "wrong" end. It's only on the wrong end if one primarily uses the blade. It's on the "right" end if the scissors are primarily used.

It's amazing how few people have figured that out. Well done, Lapedog. :D

I guess since it is a swiss army KNIFE I feel like knife should be the primary implement.

Due to the fact you can't carry even the simplest most innocent of knives everywhere I tend to prefer to keep the knife separate from something I won't separate from, ie my keys, nearest I would do is have the multi-tool on a separate keyring on my carabiner keychain to easily remove it when required. I think I have removed the ring from any knives I have personally owned with one though I might look at keeping on some if it makes for a suitable lanyard attachment point.

No key ring. It just gets in the way.
Edit: I just put the ring back on. That little nub kept digging into my palm, and it looked naked without the ring.

Last edited:
I bought a quality 1.5mm nylon cord made by the Sterling Rope co. It's so thin I was able to remove the split ring from my Cadet and I threaded the cord directly through the attachment point. The resulting lanyard is very thin but makes retrieving it easier.

I bought a quality 1.5mm nylon cord made by the Sterling Rope co. It's so thin I was able to remove the split ring from my Cadet and I threaded the cord directly through the attachment point. The resulting lanyard is very thin but makes retrieving it easier.

Great suggestion! I've thought about something like this but wasn't sure what to use. I have some Kevlar* cord that might work, although I'm not sure how well it would hold a knot. I guess I need to experiment.

*I think that's what it is. If I could remember where I bought it I could look it up. o_O

Back