Keybar Flipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barman1

Gold Member
I just picked up this KB Flipper designed by FFKW and produced by WE Knives.
It works as a stand alone (is why I posted in general rather than gadgets or multitool) 2", S35VN, loose bearing, frame lock flipper or can be mounted in a Keybar.
I chose the latter and ordered a Keybar at the same time.
Not a simple first time install.
Very fiddly getting everything just right, but after the first time learning curve I expect it will be simpler.
Also installed a toothpick and tweezers attachment that appears to use the same standard pick and tweezers as SAK does.
I'm looking forward to carrying this one for a while to form an opinion but it seems to be a nice snappy little flipper. Nice and sharp out of the box too.

Anyone else tried one of these out?
Thoughts?

c5IHL1H.jpg

ZZ1VyIo.jpg

kCsFgs6.jpg

There are certainly going to be a fair number of naysayers, but I think using a widely available product, and developing new applications is ingenious. Don't plan on picking one up, but kudos to keybar et al, none the less!

There are certainly going to be a fair number of naysayers, but I think using a widely available product, and developing new applications is ingenious. Don't plan on picking one up, but kudos to keybar et al, none the less!
Naysayers...here? :rolleyes:
But joking aside it is an inventive idea and should work well for me as a work knife.
I don't need anything larger to open and break down the occasional box or cut a label.
That and I've frightened a few clients over the years pulling out a 4" folder for a task so there's that.

I like it...but I can see forgetting it or having to mess with it too much in regards to airports.

I like it...but I can see forgetting it or having to mess with it too much in regards to airports.
It would be a PITA to mod it for air travel, that's why my house key is on the dangler.
And some specs I forgot to include: Ti handles and clip, weight as pictured is 5.1oz.

I love the design of the Keybar flipper, but I wish it had a pocket clip or had easily accessed pocket clip options. Tiny knives make me happy.

I love the design of the Keybar flipper, but I wish it had a pocket clip or had easily accessed pocket clip options. Tiny knives make me happy.
It is a well built, smooth little flipper, but yes, to get a pocket clip it needs to be installed into a Keybar which is a drawback as a stand alone knife.
I was thinking that a dangler could be an option.

Neat design but I just can't see myself ever using it. My car key would have to dangle which would just annoy me, and if I used a pocket clip it would eat up space that I'd prefer to use for a larger knife.
The biggest downside is if I had to go somewhere that doesn't allow knives (like my daughters school) I'd have to disassemble it or keep an extra set of keys with me.

Neat design but I just can't see myself ever using it. My car key would have to dangle which would just annoy me, and if I used a pocket clip it would eat up space that I'd prefer to use for a larger knife.
The biggest downside is if I had to go somewhere that doesn't allow knives (like my daughters school) I'd have to disassemble it or keep an extra set of keys with me.
Honestly, I already reconfigured it with no keys and right side, tip up carry.
Just the knife, toothpick and tweezers....
If only SAK would make a flipper.;)
It was a fun experiment but in the end I have way too many great knives and I can't leave my keys at home.

Stripped it right down to knife and scales yesterday. :rolleyes:
Just too wide in my pocket for personal preference.
So to sum this little flipper/Keybar combo up, it's a nice little piece but too ungainly for my taste.
The KB flipper knife on its own is well built and flips well and with the Keybar it's a nice small carry.
But, to buy the knife and Keybar makes it too pricey.
Recommended if you've got a Keybar laying around that you don't use anymore, or if you've got more money than brains...similar to myself is where I'm going. :confused:
Also to add, this new setup makes it a great little fidget knife while I'm watching TV. Easily opened and closed with one hand.
R8L9KnS.jpg

7pCNSyo.jpg

They are going to release a standalone version of this FF knife.

Also have you guys seen the Chaves keybar knife? It is non locking but IMHO a more practical design for this application.

356b6266-2b6f-484d-8221-8ad5bcf07ed2_zps1yexawlf.jpg

11848929_866319393443739_77429382_n.jpg

You can buy just the blade to add to standard keybars.

Problem is finding the Chaves, at least where I’ve been looking. The little FF is interesting though. They have it on a sales page I belong to.
Thanks, Neal

Problem is finding the Chaves, at least where I’ve been looking. The little FF is interesting though. They have it on a sales page I belong to.
Thanks, Neal

Check these Klecker knives Keybar knife and tools.

17817413_154315465096550_885905531003207680_n_2048x2048.jpg

They got a phone case set too.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm enjoying the extra input on the KeyBar alternatives and it prompted me to re-examine this little Ferrum Forge flipper.
It just works perfectly and is just a blast to play around with.
Strong detent makes for a positive push-button flip every time on bearings despite its diminutive size.
Another win for FF...and WE, that produced this nice little flipper design.

So if I want the knife as pictured in the OP I need to buy the $100 knife AND a $50 keybar?!

I would be interested, but not for 150 bucks...

So if I want the knife as pictured in the OP I need to buy the $100 knife AND a $50 keybar?!

I would be interested, but not for 150 bucks...
Never said it was cheap. (Pssst...post #12)
It's just a knife, this is a knife forum, this thread is a review on a knife forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back