'Keystone Cut' Bladesports event at Peters Heat Treat

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Yesterday was the Bladesports International "Keystone Cut' event held at Peters Heat Treat in Meadville, PA. Jill and I knew that one of our friends was going to be competing, and we wanted to surprise her by showing up unannounced to cheer her on. We brought our cameras, in the hopes that we'd catch some of the action. These are the results of our shooting, hope you enjoy them!

The reasons why:

The tools to get there:

'Lightning" Jo Carothers of Carothers Performance Knives opened the event and put on a great show:

Her detail work on the straw cuts was REALLY impressive, as was her water bottle chop:

Big Chris's bride Robin swept through the course looking like an absolute ace with a blade:

There was no stopping Nicole Warden from taking first place in the Ladies Division, though:

Dan Keffeler showed why he's a four-time world champion, as well:

He had LOTS of tough competition, though. Big Chris buzzed through the course in a fury, just tearing it up:

...as did Big Donovan Phillips:

Not sure why, but I managed to get a LOT of good shots of Peters Heat Treat's Brad Stallsmith:

Scott Gossman showing he knows how to sever a hanging 2" rope:

I LOVE this shot, because so much is going on and it barely even looks like it. Gang, the blade of 2016 World cutting champion James Clifton of Roosterfish Fabrication is THREE-QUARTERS of the way through the 2" hanging rope in this shot - and it hasn't even moved!!! THAT is speed, power, and SHARPNESS!!!!

He buzzed through the water bottles in just the same fashion:

L.T. Wright had a good showing, too:

One of my favorite shots of the day, though, was of Josh Reese in his attempt to break the world record water bottle cut. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful this time, but as you can see from the form and look of determination on his face, it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when':

In closing, here's the final word: Dan Keffeler, microseconds and only one stroke away from setting the new World Record for the 2x6 chop with a time of 3.03 seconds. Congrats, Dan!!!!

Last edited:
Oh thank God. I was starting to think you spent the whole time taking selfies. :D Nice shots. That 3/4 rope cut is stellar!:thumbsup:

Watching some of these folks keep their free hand behind their back reminds me of my youth shearing Christmas Trees. Anyone using a single knife also got a bamboo stick to hold in their off hand so they wouldn't "forget" where it was on the follow through.

Great job buddy, you're quite the Lensman.....looks like a great time was had by all.

Loved seeing Jo in action! :)

Thanks for the pictures and this post Matt.
I just got started in Bladesports back in Jan. and it has been so addicting.
What I have learned from making and using these competition knives has spilled over into what I normally make.
Handle design and blade geometry are major factors in performance.
Anyone with any interest and/or questions please feel free to ask.

Here's a picture of Mrs.Big Chris and my knives with our medals after the cut.
She managed a third place finish in women's and I got second in men's.

KeystKnives.jpg

This is the fifth comp knife I have made for myself and the one that I plan to use for this entire season.
I only have minor edge geometry adjustments I want to make as it performed excellently.
The knife I made for my wife is very similar to mine but with a smaller handle and 6.5 oz lighter.
There were a couple cuts that she had never seen nor practiced before, but still had a stellar run.

Thanks for looking.

I'm really sorry I didn't get more, or better ones, Robin. I didn't think I'd be allowed anywhere near the leniency I was given to move around, and brought the wrong lens for this, really. Between having judges stepping in front of me, doing what they're supposed to do, and me figuring out what I was doing, I missed a lot of excellent opportunities. Next time, I hope, I'll be more prepared.

Thanks for the amazing pictures! I completely forgot to ask anyone to take pictures or video so the one picture you took of me is the only one I have.

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy watching videos of these cutting comps. I wish we could see a good picture of each and every knife. I love seeing the different designs that are purely based on performance. :thumbsup:

Also, I just saw Dan post his record breaking 2x6" chop on YT yesterday.

I hope you don't mind me sharing it here as it seems relevant enough. ;)

~Paul
My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Thanks for the excellent photos Matt. What an awesome cut. I had a front row seat when Dan made the new 2X6 record cut. Dan is amazing to watch.
Scott

Back