Khukri Restoration

I brought a full tang Nepal Khukri and left it with oil on it. While I was abroad my brother used it and didnt properly oil it after the use. The blade is now heavily rusted and I was wondering how and what can I use to bring it back to its former glory?

Last edited:
Pitting will be your enemy as they will be deepest in the blade. The blades are usually rattail tang peened over at the butt of handle. I would remove the handle from the blade and start there if you can figure it out. Take your time. Wet/dry sandpaper and block to keep the lines starting at the lowest you feel comfortable then work your way up once you get it cleaned. I wouldn't worry about the deep pits, you may ruin the blade contours trying to get them out. Leave it for character.

Alternately you could use a rust solvent but they can go deeper making pits harder to clean up.

If you cannot get the blade and handle separated, you won't know how bad the rust is under the handle. It could fail at a bad time on you. Pointy/sharp/heavy thing flying around like a boomerang with edges. Not good.

Good luck, sir.

Should I soak the blade in vinegar? Or just use the dry and wet sandpaper like you said? And thanks for the advice.

You are welcome. Restoring a blade is a time consuming chore. Soaking it is fine if not attached to the handle. Do not be in a hurry no matter what.

I am only suggesting using the sandpaper on a block to maintain grind lines. Don't overthink it here. Japanese sword polishers use sandpaper and water for centuries with no issue. There was no info or picture and I assumed it was fairly new. I left it up to him. 600 to 800 grit depending on amount and how deep. The higher you go, the longer it will take. Bring it up through 2000 and see what it looks like.

Forged in 2016
Good to know. That changes everything. No need to worry about damaging an antique. You have a working knife. I would use wd40 or something similar to loosen the rust and then steel wool to remove it. Once that is done then sandpaper to bring it back to it's former glory. Start with a coarse and work your way up to 1 or 2K, 3k if you have a lot of time on your hands. Then a coating of oil or Renaissance wax and you should be good to go. I would not let your brother touch it after that.

Back