Khukuri Designs - thoughts?

No response to the email but I did have a dream last night that Bura was holding the print in his hands and laughing.

Originally posted by pendentive ....Any takers on making a wood model?
Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread,
but why don't you grab one of the cheaper small villagers
and take it to a grinding wheel?
You would have a testable model in short order.

Well...

I have a smaller villager, but I'm not sure I want to grind it just yet...I would prefer to pound it a few times first.:D:D

The design I have is less aggresive than most HI khukuris, and even most villagers.

Just for fun, I'll print out a copy of this and lay it over my bulldog villager to see the difference.

I'll post the results later.

Dan

Originally posted by Dave K
I could probably make a pine version of this if anyone would like me to.

It's yours!

How would you like to get the drawings? mail? CAD?

Dan

Well, I didn't mean to get in the way of all the fun parts, Uncle Bill.

If you like I could screw the handle onto the blade just to keep things interesting.

Dan, mail or even fax would probably be the best way to get a copy of the drawings to me; computers are too difficult for this white monkey to keep up with.

-Dave

First response received: Is this a Ganga Ram? Second question: Wood or horn handle? We can't tell from this picture.

Ahem!

Not trying to rudely interrupt or anything, sorry. :(

I sincerely remember asking how a 12" long, .5"-thick AK/BAS-style Khuk would perform. Anybody have a *serious* remark to make? :D

Much Thanks

Originally posted by Hibuke
Anybody have a *serious* remark to make?

How long have you been here, Hibuke? I think the serious remarks are posted on a different forum.

S.

Originally posted by Hibuke
Ahem!

Not trying to rudely interrupt or anything, sorry. :(

I sincerely remember asking how a 12" long, .5"-thick AK/BAS-style Khuk would perform. Anybody have a *serious* remark to make? :D

Much Thanks

Hibuke when it comes to the smaller khuks a similar size Bowie will out perform them because of the (usually) thinner blade and if the thickness is similar then the grind is different enough on the Bowie to still make it the better knife for similar use.
A 12" AK makes for a great little concealable self defense knife if that's what you have in mind.

To me the forward curve of the 15" AK saves it's performance
IMO.
I know the 15" AK is and has been a very popular model and lots of guys swear by it, but I liken it to a "Mouse 'Hawk" in that it makes a better woman's or child's khuk, but that's just my
opinion.
The 18" AK is a much, much, much better performer than the 15" Ak, but then I'm another guy that doesn't mind carrying the little bit of extra weight the 18" AK weighs.
I feel the khuks really come into their own at around 16" to 19" for most using models although as in everything else there are exceptions.:)
Thinking of the 21"+ Chitlangi.:D

Hope that answers your question.:)

I'm with Yvsa on the subject of khuk size. In another thread I mentioned I prefer to carry my 18" AK. The difference in weight compared to my 15" AK is not that much but the performance (translate that to "confidence") is higher with the 18" AK, IMHO. I feel like it will do anything I ask of it. It is amazing what that extra 3" does for the knife. :)

Semp --

Thanks for good help. No word after the initial questions. Don't know if they burned the print or are making the knife. We'll get one and see what it looks like and then take it from there -- if they make one.

Wood handle - cheaper/easier, right?

Thanks for all the good responses. Hope this one makes it to the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Originally posted by Dave K
Did you get my e-mail, Dan, or did I manage to screw it up somehow?

Dave,

I got it. I was out this weekend. I'll give the fax a try this afternoon. If that doesn't work, then I'll mail it to you snail mail.

Also with Yvsa on the 18" AK. That's the ticket! I love mine, and here's s short field report on it from the holiday:

I have two dogs, they love to chew rawhide. I got these rolled up dry rawhide bones that are 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, but 15inches long, too big for my dogs. I put the rawhide on a stump, and >Swak!< with the AK, and it split the thing in one swing. the pieces each flew about 15-20 feet in either direction, at speed. Split four more of them, some took 2 swings, but that was my fault. The AK had no damage at all, no edge folding, no dulling. If you try to cut this slightly spingy rawhide with an axe, it often bounces the blade back a bit because of the more obtuse blade profile of an axe.

Like many who posted to this thread, I favor the 18-21" khuks. My other khuk is a 21" Gelbu Special. I etched and blued designs on it, so it is on display until I really must hack with it. It is more of a slicer than the AK, which is a slicer/chopper in my mind.

Keith

Back