Khukuri forging escapade (pics)!

O.K., don't laugh (yet, at least) all knives look like this after forging and before you start cleaning them up. I got a chance to do a little forging this afternoon and tried my hand at a khukri. The only stock I had on hand was a little on the small side so I tried for a narrow blade. Man my arms and shoulders are going to be killing me! If I'm going to make more of these then I need a power hammer or at least a couple of guys swinging sledges!:D

Before:

View

After:

View

It should look better when I get a chance to start cleaning it up with files. Watch out for the next one, I know what to expect now!

Guy Thomas

Nice job on the khukuri, I just finished forging two smaller hunting knives, and they turned out pretty well also. I will try doing a khukuri in the near future and if I ever learn how to post pics I will put them all on here.

Nope, nothing new on the khukuri, I had to finish up a friction folder and send it to it's new owner first. I have a neck knife and two or three fillet knives I have to work on now, but I will be working the khukuri in also as time permits. Funny, but I have access to a power hammer on Sunday so I may just try another khukuri out of some heavy 3/16" (closer to 1/4" actually) thick by 1 1/2" L6 stock I have, along the lines of a WWII model only with a thiner blade. We'll see!

Guy Thomas

Hey, Guy. If you go back to 07/31/01 you'll see Berkley's thread with a pic of a lovely khukuri-inspired knife by Randall. (This in stainless is as nice as a center grip XP-100 in 6mmBR.) You might like this blade for a future project.

I hope you'll keep us up to date with the fruits of your forge. VERY interesting stuff!

Dan

Back