Kitchen knife forced patina increasing friction

Hey guys, I recently made my first kitchen knife. It’s a 7-8” chef knife from 80CrV2 steel with a cocobolo handle. I wanted to force a patina on it to protect it, so I soaked it in lime juice. It worked well. However, it made it cut like absolute crap. FYI, I sharpened it after the patina, so it was razor sharp.

Basically, it was due to the friction of the patina. It felt almost like a rough anodized aluminum part or 2000-grit sandpaper. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it get better? I sanded off the patina and it cuts like a dream. Any advice?

Ive had this happen with damascus primarily. my solution was to finish to a higher grit, etch and sand with 1200 grit for several cycles.
Ive also had this happen with a stone wash type finish. You may want to try finishing to a higher grit and then forcing patina.
Or just let a patina build naturally.

Ye I've had this with an etched in vinegar blade.
Just steel wool it or finer grit paper and etch again and repeat til you got the look you want.

I patina all my work knives, then I sand with 3000 grit paper lightly, then i sharpen.

I like my knives smooth and quick.

Just my input : I keep my knives absolutely clean. Discoloration, patina and any sign of oxydation is quickly polished and dispatched. I try to apply the discipline of japanese cooks who wipe their carbon steel blades on a moist towel whenever they are finished cutting. Like any discipline, it's a habit and when it's embedded, it just rolls. However, sometimes, I just don't feel like embarking on that train. I will go stainless and "rinse, dry, back to the drawer" is also very satisfying.

Just my input : I keep my knives absolutely clean. Discoloration, patina and any sign of oxydation is quickly polished and dispatched. I try to apply the discipline of japanese cooks who wipe their carbon steel blades on a moist towel whenever they are finished cutting. Like any discipline, it's a habit and when it's embedded, it just rolls. However, sometimes, I just don't feel like embarking on that train. I will go stainless and "rinse, dry, back to the drawer" is also very satisfying.
This^^^, Only I prefer magnet strips for knife storage , the knives are air dry and I can easily chose which blade I wish!

Yes ! And you can admire your knives whenever you happen to go through / enter your kitchen !

Back