Kitchen Knife Pics

Yeah, I seem to keep the experiments and one-offs. My best work is usually on its way out the door.
This was my most recent kitchen knife - Did I post it in this subforum already?

More in the gallery:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/160mm-usuba-in-1084-ironwood-and-g10.1533701/

IMG_20171118_100516-small.jpg

IMG_3128_zps1qpchzo7.jpg
My kitchen Barkies... except for the Old Hickory used for serious watermelon work.

Hi,

New member here. None of my kitchenware is ‘collectible’, but it is all sharp:

Dang, can’t attach a file and photobucket won’t link anymore. Sooo....

This Xmas we replaced a bunch of old steel with new Henckels Pro in a knifeblock. Not all the knives in the block are new, but it came with four great knives. I know some folks look down their nose at such standard German steel, but it doesn’t chip and sharpens beautifully so I like it.

Also got a dozen Winco SK-12 steak knives, six of which also now reside in that block. A couple restaurants we frequent use these, and they are inexpensive and great.

My old bread knife is an older Macy’s/Henckels thing, flat on one side with the serrations on the other. I’ve found this to be a great knife, and because the serrations are only on one side you can gently sharpen the flat side and it becomes good as new. Makes clean, non-crushed cuts in even delicate breads while having the power to easily handle bagels and crusty loaves.

Last edited:
None of my kitchenware is ‘collectible’, but it is all sharp:
None of mine is either, as far as I know. Sharp is what you want, not necessarily fancy, unless you just want fancy.

I know some folks look down their nose at such standard German steel, but it doesn’t chip and sharpens beautifully so I like it.
Not me. I like the Zwilling Pro line. The slanted bolster makes for a good pinch grip and a fully usable edge that is easy to sharpen, unlike those with full bolsters. I have one of them in my block - 5 1/4" Prep Knife. Their paring knife is another winner. My only complaint about the Zwilling Pro line is the blade profile of the chef's knfe. I like a much flatter profile with less belly.

That chef's knife you have there second from the top in your picture is more to my liking - more the French style than the German.

Nice knives - thanks for sharing with us.

Agreed, the German stuff is solid. it DOES chip, though. I've repaired a lot of people's Henckels... and my own. But they're about the best price/performance/design value out there. You can pay a lot more, but you start splitting hairs and getting specialized. Which, by the way, I'm all for as a knifemaker. But most non-knife-people who just need (and can appreciate) a couple good kitchen knives should start with the German stuff and probably never need to upgrade.

My only complaint about the Zwilling Pro line is the blade profile of the chef's knfe. I like a much flatter profile with less belly.
That chef's knife you have there second from the top in your picture is more to my liking - more the French style than the German.
Nice knives - thanks for sharing with us.

I find myself using the two Santoku mostly. The small one is from the new Pro set; the larger is an older one. My wife loves the new Pro chef knife.
One lesson I learned with the old steel, which is why we replaced much of it, is to not let the “local knife grinder guy with the grinding truck” anywhere near my cutlery. If you look at that larger Santoku, a full quarter-inch of edge steel is gone. After just a couple sharpenings!! And he never got it truly sharp!

After seeing this, I dug out my old stone and revived that knife.

Last edited:
The Germans use that miracle stainless steel that can chip AND roll/flatten all on the same edge even at amazingly low hardness levels. Wow! :p
Agreed, the German stuff is solid. it DOES chip, though. I've repaired a lot of people's Henckels... and my own. But they're about the best price/performance/design value out there. You can pay a lot more, but you start splitting hairs and getting specialized. Which, by the way, I'm all for as a knifemaker. But most non-knife-people who just need (and can appreciate) a couple good kitchen knives should start with the German stuff and probably never need to upgrade.

The Germans use that miracle stainless steel that can chip AND roll/flatten all on the same edge even at amazingly low hardness levels. Wow! :p
:D
Perhaps Zwillings do chip, but I’ve never managed to accomplish that feat.

51F387D6-A171-4F8B-B53D-A684D022AAD7.jpeg Picked these up last weekend at a garage sale, had to have them. Vernco. High carbon. Japan.

nice score, the angle on those look just right...now i kinda want to make a couple like that....:)

Back