Kitchen knife sharpener

My power sharpener, which I call “the handle maker”, is used for flea market knives. It is mounted on a tilt table which I can set to match the angles on the hand sharpening stuff. The edge of the blade is pointed at the ground, and the belt runs downhill backed by a platen. A large water pail is used after every pass. When one side of the blade is given a few passes, you walk around the apparatus and do the other side. Using successively finer belts yields a working edge.View attachment 873180
Wow! That is massive.

I use Shaptons (Alumina) waterstones for non Vanadium blades, They are splash and go. I use Venev and Naniwa bonded Diamond “stones” on my Vanadium containing blades. They are spash and go also.
I use a home made jig over a pond to prop the stones at the correct angle. One side is 15 degrees off vertical, the other is 20 degrees off. These angles mimic the Sharpmaker which I use for touch up.View attachment 873179
It's actually a good one.

Spyderco's CEO & Owner ( Sal Glesser) just recently announced that they are going to release a new version of the old/discontinued
"Galley V" sharpener. I have one of the old Galley V sharpening kits and it's great for kitchen knives and especially on ones longer than 6 inches. I'm looking forward to the new Spyderco "Galley V" sharpening kit and I do hope that they make it available in more grit selections this time around because the original unit only was available in "fine".

Also Spyderco is very close to releasing their GAUNTLET sharpening system. From what I've been told it has a lot of features that are going to be great for sharpening kitchen & culinary type knives.

Now if you are talking about using for a professional chef I would recommend one of the Edge Pro systems. The two guys I know that own and use them have told me nothing but good about them. Let us know what you end up getting.

I new to this forum but no stranger blade maintenance. I’m very picky about my kitchen knives, especially in regards to sharpness. I enjoy cooking a great deal and I learned long ago to invest in a handful of items that were durable and high-quality. When you’re using a knife, pan, etc every day its reliability makes everything else easier.

Of course, I highly doubt my opinion here is breaking news to any members here. But if any of you are like me and want something relatively simple to keep those blades sharp, I suggest the EdgeCraft 220 Hybrid sharpener by Chef’s Choice. It’s a 2-stage sharpener; an electric stage to sharpen then a manual stage to hone. Both stages utilize diamond abrasive wheels and is (or was when I was researching it) endorsed by brands like Wustof, Henckels, Shun, etc. It’s also idiot proof, comes w/ clear instructions, and available on Amazon for about $40. I believe there’s a newer version of this model but I haven’t used it.
I’ll add that my husband, a Marine Corps SgtMaj (retired after 26yrs active duty)-whose EDC includes a Winkler knife on his belt-has used my lowly sharpener on several blades of his. Not the Winkler, but still. (I like to add that the first gift he ever gave me was a Kershaw knife I still carry. THAT is true love.)
At this point I’ve either exposed myself as a complete idiot who knows nothing about proper blade maintenance, or I’ve suggested a decent sharpener that doesn’t break the bank. I’m here to learn more bec really, there’s always something more to learn about sharp, shiny pointy things.

Sharp Pebble is good. Or if you do enjoy sharpening knives, get the Sharpton or Lansky. I saw a review of the Lansky on this healthykitchen101 blog and I’m waiting for the price to drop by a bit to get one.

Back