Kitchen knife storage help needed

I am looking for a JA Henckels knife for my wife, and this will be her first "good" knife for the kitchen. She is looking at 7" santokus, and it doesn't look like they come with a sheath of any sort. What do you recommend for kitchen storage of a knife that will get used a few times a month? Leather, knife roll, something else? Also, if anyone can recommend a better knife than Henckels please feel free. Thanks in advance!

We use an "inside the drawer block"....keeps the counter less cluttered and the knives close to hand. (Bed Bath and Beyond, Pier 1, Target)...

This may well track off the "sheath" area, but consider a Carter for a REALLY NICE kitchen knife. They make Henkles look like fishing weights and come in prices from under $100 to over $400 so you should be able to find something you like. (Mine was the best $150 I've ever spent for the kitchen)

You might also consider a magnet strip if having your cutlery visible is a good thing (it apparently isn't at my house :rolleyes:)

If it has to go in the drawer, you could try something like this:

frorschner blade safe
2190GHNT0PL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have an under-cabinet mounted block above my cutting board:

wustof swinger
410XNXNXWVL__SL160_AA160_.jpg

The blade safes are nice, but the little rubber stoppers that hold the balde in place can leave smudges on your blade.

I like the swinger because my knives are always there. My only complaint is that it only holds eight knives:grumpy:

I have one of the magnet holders mounted on the wall and it works very well.

I would also suggest looking into Murray Carter's work. I have several, and they are very, very good. His knives come with the sharpest edge I have ever seen...

mattz357 mattz357 For the money you should consider the Shun Classic line. for the storage, I would recommend a simple leather sheath you can lay flat in a drawer or counter that looks good and is functional. Lot's of folks here you can get one from or if you do get the Shun shoot me a line and I'll make you one because I have those knives.

Although the thread is old, I will share my experience. OP says the wife would use the knife a few times in a month - not a daily user - and this is important.

I probably own 15 -20 or more kitchen knives; not table steak knives. My comments do not apply to tomato, grapefruit knives which are also used infrequently and thrown into a drawer.

A kitchen has limited counter top space. A wood block with a bunch of holes is not used. The chosen and used knives may not fit because they were not sold with the block. So I have wooden blocks in the garage. If anyone wants to come by, look and them and buy them, fine. Zip code 90066.

I did the research. In learning that there are at least three manufacturers of plastic material knife/edge protectors, I was able to find something for every knife, including cleaver edge protections. This allows options.
a. the never used, maintained kitchen knives are in individual protectors and stored in a clear plastic snapware storage container in the garage. Hence, there is water free, dust free, damage free storage.
b. the occasionally used kitchen knives are in individual plastic sheaths, flat in a cabinet over the stove top.
c. the special occasion Gerber long carving knives that came with wooden boxes (courtesy of shopgoodwill.com - people donated knives - one unit having the original papers and never having been used) are stored in a cabinet overlooking the dryer in the service porch.

I also like the magnetic hangers. Keeps them within arms reach, edge never touches anything while not in use and you've got room for more.

I also like the magnetic hangers. Keeps them within arms reach, edge never touches anything while not in use and you've got room for more.
We have a large block for Henkels that were a wedding present (52 ½ yr ago). Since she doesn't like sharp knives, I have ceded them to her. My knives, mixture of Old Hickory and knife blanks I have handled. With limited counter space, mine go in the drawer. My solution is individual wooden sheaths saya-like but constructed with a ⅛" maple welt like surround, maple veneer across the "welt" and walnut veneer lengthwise. High carbon knives are thoroughly dried before inserting into the sheath.

Back